AMR-66 Suggestions

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by JoltinJoe, Dec 6, 2012.

1. JoltinJoe

Now, don't get me wrong, I love my AMR-66...it's a great gun for a support-oriented engineer. However, let's face it: the gun has some serious flaws that keep it from fulfilling its role, which is to be a medium-to-long range killing machine.

Flaw #1: The projectile speed on this gun is atrocious. It seems like it takes forever for the bullet to reach it's target at long range.

Flaw #2: It has no tracer! WTF? The only way to tell where it is hitting is to look for some yellow sparks splashing when it hits.

These 2 flaws together make it nearly impossible to kill someone running perpendicular to your LOS at long range. Yeah, you might get lucky and hit them once or twice before they reach cover, but that's it. Also, I'll have a lot of shots feel like they should be hitting, but they don't...I don't know if it's the lack of tracer, but something about it just feels off.

Leave the damage, scopes, ROF, mag size, everything else alone; just give it slightly better projectile speed and/or at the very least, a tracer.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheBloodEagle

3. Mordenn

This is almost the exact same problem I was encountering while I used it. It's actually inferior than the carbine at long ranges because you have to fire a few 'test' shots just to figure out where your bullets are dropping to instead of being able to see where your tracers are going.

It's great on enemies that stand still, but it could seriously use a buff otherwise.
  4. Binkus

the AMR 66 is a waste of certs/SC as it stands it needs a burst fire or something to make it viable

made the mistake of getting this for my engy and regretted it immensely

a poor gun all round unless you are asking the enemy to stand still
  5. Swordlord

The AMR-66 is not a great choice for an ENG, even if you play strictly as mid-long range support. Your attention is too divided between your repair/supply and your personal survival roles, where a the TRAC-5 S is a better choice overall.

The AMR-66 serves much better as an HA Battle Rifle for sniper suppression. Even then, it's not optimal, as the CARV S is more adaptable and almost as capable at longer ranges.

My personal AMR-66 loadout for both HA and ENG includes the Compensator and the 6x Scope, as this works for my play style. If you get caught in CQC with this BR, it's best just to hip fire and spam the trigger (or switch to your pistol), since any other carbine, shotgun or LMG will beat your fire rate, even though the AMR-66 has higher damage per round.

Just my humble opinion.
  6. TheBloodEagle

Tested out my AMR-66 again but still didn't notice a tracer after the update.
  7. Daddy Tickles

I love the gun, but only on my HA and at distance. On an Engi? Never, for all the reasons already explored.
  8. Plague Rat

I don't know how much they can do with the battle rifle without making infiltrators rage over their scout rifles. As it stands the BRs have a better fire rate, double the clip, and while not horizontally balanced do have less overall recoil. They have identical projectile speeds, and the only real advantage to the scout rifle is a higher top end damage at closer ranges, but even still the BRs have a faster potential TTK at a steady .72 seconds while the scout rifles vary between .69 at close ranges, and .92 at long ranges.

The biggest problem I'm seeing with semi-automatic weapons in general but the battle rifle's specifically is the disruption from actually getting shot. With an automatic weapon it will keep firing, but with the Battle Rifle if you click fire at the same instant that a bullet hits you there's a chance your Battle Rifle WILL NOT FIRE. This could just be an effect of lag, I suppose, but I've noticed it several times while using either semi-auto weapons or those set to semi-auto fire modes.

On a side note, I'd also like to see a second battle-rifle varient dealing less damage, but capable of firing in 2-round bursts.
  9. Rhogen

I'm using AMR-66 with 6x scope, compensator and laser sight and I like it. It find it good for med to long range work.

Bullet speed is no issue for me, I just have to compensate. Also you have to accept that some targets are hard to hit at distance. On the other hand, if you see a sniper or an HA which is just aiming his rocket launcher, these are perfect targets.

Bullet drop is also no issue. On distances where I feel comfortable to engage, this is only one mil-dot in the 6x. And you can easily adjust by using the small yellow explosion which indicates where your bullet hits.

The battle rifle is not optimal for CQF, so when planning to be indoors, I spawn which a carbine. But I think this is a viable trade off.
    If I have to do close range work with the AMR, i strafe left and fire from the hip. This sometimes works, sometimes don't. But I had not yet the issue that the gun didn't fire. (Cannot use the 6x close up anyway :p )
  10. igorthir

With regard to tracer. its odd that in the infiltrator forum they complain of having tracer as it gives away their position.
    Personally I love the gun in the right circumstances. Lay a couple of AT mines, wait for a big bang noise and then pick of the engi as he tries to repair. I have managed a good few kills doing it. 6x scope and Im good to go. I dont suggest for a moment that you try and out snipe a dedicated sniper rifle, but medium range picking off the HA or engi behind hi turret its great.
    CQC it could use an auto/burst fire mode though I still manage to win about 25% of the fights
  11. JoltinJoe

OP here...

I just want to say that I've started using and FA1 Barrage with slug ammo, a 2x reflex, and extended mag. It totally outclass the AMR-66. The extra damage is very welcome. The FA1 is just as accurate, with the power to drop a target at range before they can react and start moving. AMR-66 is still a little better at super long range, but the shotty is much better in CQC. The low amount of ammo for the Barrage is a pain, but, being an engineer, it's not too bad.

Seriously, if you're using the AMR-66, start using a shotty with slug ammo and let me know your thoughts.
  12. McBurd

AMR-66, in my opinion, is the best engi weapon for most situations, except with close range. I think your problem is that you're trying to use it as a long range weapon, instead of mid range. Its fan-friggin-tastic at medium distance, my only complaint is the recoil.
    I use 3.4x scope, foreward grip, and compensator. Even with grip and compensator recoil is a *****, but its still amazing.
  13. McBurd

Only problem with that is that it has bullet drop like you wouldn't believe. You have to aim impractically high at any distance past short range.
  14. Iridar51

You realize you're posting in a two year old thread, right?
    • Up x 3