Ammunition types

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CMDante, Mar 30, 2014.

1. CMDante

I've been trying to figure it out and been coming up short; do the ammo types actually do anything?

The description on soft point rounds would indicate higher damage up close, but that isn't the case. High velocity rounds claim to maintain damage further out, but each time I have tested the guns handle the same either way.So do they actually do anything or what?
  2. Radioactive Bomba

Well soft point rounds travel slower, but deals more damage from medium to close range, as far as i know, it's usually the best option.

High Velocity rounds works better from medium range to long range, it increases bullet travel speed and i even think it does a little more damage than standard. However for that it pays with increased "Horizontal" recoil if im not mistaken.
  3. Paragon Exile

Soft point rounds just extended the range of your gun, so you do your maximum at longer distances. For example, my gun with a max damage range of 15 M is increased to 25 M with soft points. Your bullets travel slightly slower, but you'll almost certainly never notice it.

High velocity rounds are similar in concept, extending your range, but they add more recoil to your gun, which can cripple you.

Soft point rounds are generally more useful.
    • Up x 2
  4. CMDante

So they don't actually increase damage of your gun, got it. Thanks much
  5. Stromberg

SPA - prolonged max damage range, slower velocity. if a weapon does 143 damage till say 8m, you would need 7 bullets to kill your target. at 9m you would need an additional bullet however. SPA would prolong the 8m by another 5m, so you can kill your target with 7 bullets till 13m.

HVA - higher velocity, more recoil. high velocity is crucial for hitting moving distant targets as you need to predict and lead their movement less. higher velocity also means less drop.
  6. JP_Russell

Just to clarify, high velocity ammo specifically extends the range at which the gun reaches minimum damage in addition to the velocity buff. This means that it loses damage at a slower rate between the maximum and minimum damage ranges, so your damage is slightly better than it would be at medium ranges.

The recoil downsides make HVA almost never worth it in my opinion, though. I kind of wish they would redesign it and change its downside to something else. A tiny maximum damage percentage reduction would make more sense to me (so the gun would always take one more bullet to kill a stock soldier at point blank, and would continue to have inferior damage until medium range).
  7. Mxiter

SPA: Extend max damages range to 5m (10m for SMGs). Lower the muzzle velocity and by correlation increase the bullet drop.
    HVA: Extend min damage range to 10m. Increase the vertical recoil, the muzzle velocity and by correlation lower the bullet drop.
  8. Pikachu

SPA: Extends minimum STK from 10m to 20m.
    HVA: Does not reduce STK for any weapon at any range. The only evidence of velocity buff is from a battle rifle video by Wrel. On carbines, AR and LMG which I tested, there was no difference at all. Don't expect anything but recoil increase for other weapons than battle rifles.
  9. Scr1nRusher

I wish guns had access to both types.

Rather then just 1 or another or none at all.
  10. AdmiralArcher

i was reading your sig and was utterlly confused as to why its mirrored....then i realized it was in another language :D
  11. Mxiter

Yes it is.
  12. AdmiralArcher

french?
    • Up x 1