[Suggestion] Ammo Types and Properties

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jcj94, Jul 30, 2015.

1. jcj94

We all know of the standard munitions in all weapons, soft point, and hard point (which seem silly talking about Vanu's weapons but we'll ignore this and just assume plasma shaping tech is magic).

A recent Wrel video mentioned more ammunition types, and, keeping the thoughts of the other ammunition in mind, I thought I'd propose some ammunition and the benefits and detriments given by them.

Full Metal Jacket - FMJ
    These are probably the standard munitions (as they are the cheapest regular munition to produce) but if they aren't, the bonuses and detriments would be something akin to penetration at the cost of COF Bloom. This is a Close/Medium-Medium range ammo.

Match Grade Munition - MGM
    These are more aerodynamically stabilized, and are used for accuracy contests in most tournaments, so my thoughts are give this lower COF bloom or lower COF over-all, as well as a slight increase to damage ranges at the cost of damage overall. More of a Medium-Medium/Long range ammo.

Hollow Point Rounds - HPR
    These bullets have the characteristically 'hollow' tip, flattening the bullet out upon impact, doing much more damage in a wider area, however, due to this they lose bullet velocity. This is similar to Soft Point Ammo, but instead of increasing damage drop-off range, you almost have no downside where this ammo would be used - CQC - because you increase it's damage instead, keeping you within the same kill range but unable to hit things at farther ranges as easily (until you learn the new velocity anyway). Depends on the weapon it's on, but primarily a Close-Close/Medium range ammo.

Ballistic Tip Ammo - BTA
    These bullets function a lot like hollow point on target, but function more like FMJ in flight. It has the flight characteristics of a solid bullet, due to a softer tip (like plastic) but on impact expands to deal more damage - giving it the improved accuracy of the FMJ with the improved damage of the hollow points. This one should primarily be for longer ranges as well, and perhaps only for Scout (Edlion and such), and Sniper Rifles, increasing the damage and reducing COF for at range. (NOT For Bolt Actions as they really aren't affected by a COF bloom)

FANCY SPACE BULLETS - FSB
    These bullets are just under a silly name for lack of naming knowledge, but this particular ammo would be considered an active stabilized ammo - ammunition that has further reduced drop off from regular munition, but has a higher recoil associated with it. This one is again, NOT for Bolt Actions rifles and primarily for Scout/Auto Sniper rifles, as it's recoil increase is it's payment and Bolt Actions don't really need to worry about it.

Anyway, discuss, those more well versed in munitions than I may discuss about what each one should do, and there are intentionally no hard numbers attached to any of this because I'm not the one who should balance things here, Daybreak is.
    • Up x 3
  2. Campagne

I like these ideas.

One thing that would be nice though, is perhaps a type of ammo that increased projectile velocity and reduced CoF all around at the cost of maximum ammo capacity with a high initial cert cost.
  3. jcj94

I was thinking about a kind of ammo in this category, but here I was just comparing against real-world munition counterparts. The Fancy Space Bullets are a thing now, but don't have a proper name afaik.
  4. Joexer

I have a suggestion: Stealth Rounds: rounds without a tracer .
    They would require much greater skill to use but just not show a tracer. No buffs no nerfs just a higher skillcap round. About as usefull as NS tracers. Sound still marks you on the minimap.
    • Up x 1
  5. jcj94

Oh definitely, I enjoy this idea, it's nice and simple and has a decent impact on it.
    Or even half-tracer rounds.
    • Up x 1
  6. Campagne

Ah. Of course!

I think there should be more Sci-fi, advanced technologies and such in PS2.
  7. jcj94

Well I mean, we have bullets that are seeking /now/, but those would seem... a little overpowered unless implemented properly. A .50 cal bullet going directly for your head every should would make literally every class except infiltrator in infantry v infantry pointless xD
  8. ColonelChingles

This should be reduced to 75% of magazine capacity, because have you seen the cost of match ammo these days?!? :eek:

I think it would be interesting to have Subsonic Ammo.

[IMG]

Low velocity, low damage.

So why use it at all?

Now when you use a Suppressor with any other type of ammunition, you only reduce your minimap ping distance by 50%. But with Subsonics, the Suppressor removes you from the map completely. Also significantly reduces the audio signature.

Also Duplex Ammo.

[IMG]

For the NC in all of us, you can now fire 100% more bullet with each bullet and turn everything into a mini shotgun! Double your effective damage, though significantly decreasing muzzle velocity and increasing CoF.

And Caseless Ammo.

[IMG]

No case means no need to eject cases, and no need to eject cases means increased RoF! Also units can carry more ammunition overall due to decreased weight. Downsides... slower reloads?

How about Saboted Ammo?

[IMG]

Hypervelocity ammo with a very flat arc and superfast speed. But using a smaller, lighter projectile results in reduced damage. For those who are just tired of the gosh darn VS's gosh darn no bullet drop, now you too can greatly reduce bullet drop!

Or High Explosive Incendiary Ammo!

[IMG]

Small amount of burning explosive in each round means that the round can continue to cause a small amount of damage to the enemy over a short period of time. Not usually enough to be lethal, but most importantly it significantly delays the target's shield recharge time. The downside is that each shot actually does a little less damage (had to make space for the HEI filling).
    • Up x 2
  9. ColonelChingles

We also need Season Shot Ammo.

[IMG]

So after you have killed your enemy and are about to feast on his or her flesh to gain their combat prowess as your own, they will be deliciously pre-seasoned!

Also available in a low-sodium, organic, non-GMO variant.
    • Up x 2
  10. Campagne

Haha, yeah OK.

But still! The more the merrier!
  11. FateJH

For the VS we have:
    • Plasma
    • Plasma
    • Plasma
    • Laser (it's actually plasma)
    • Up x 1
  12. Liewec123

NC LMG buckshot rounds!
    split the ammo of the LMG into 5s and fire them in a cone infront of you, slows down RPM by x5!

so for example a gauss saw with 100 rounds would instead fire 20 rounds of 5 shots in a small cone
    and instead of 500rpm it'd have 100rpm.

so the actual overall damage is the same but you get a shotgun style weapon with high alpha damage, rewarding skill.

perhaps you could have "rail ammo" which works the same but condenses 5 shots into one big slug,
    again with 5x less RPM
  13. jcj94

I was more thinking of rounds that are currently available.
    Changing casings of a round is also a possibility.

Some of these dorky ammo types though "Seasoned Shot" would be NC's favoured ammo over anything else.
  14. \m/SLAYER\m/

give NC "dum-dum" ammo that will do minimal damage to teammates
    • Up x 2
  15. Thardus

I remember in Planetside 1, every VS gun had the ability to switch from Standard rounds to AP rounds instantly, whereas other factions would have to a) reload, and b) set aside inventory space for each ammo type. Definitely gave VS an advantage against MAX suits, and with enough VS in the vicinity, even tanks would start having to worry about small arms fire.
  16. jcj94

I was actually thinking about a magnetic round designed to take out shields more effectively but do less against actual HP so TTK's stay the same but it shreds HA's overshield better.
    And then one that's worse at shields but better at HP damage.

I dunno, more posits on ammo types.