Ammo Sundy Exp cap - Why?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kilmannan, Jul 6, 2013.

1. THUGGERNAUT

EXP caps for support roles are simply asinine. because of a couple boosters, legitimate support players are penalized. out of an absurd number of completely insane decisions SOE has made so far in this game, this is probably the worst. players playing vital, thankless roles, are penalized with zero experience gain, while their teammates make thousands of exp. by simply fighting.
    • Up x 1
  2. Haruk

If it can't distinguish between a biolab fight and warpgate farming, then do you assume most people who gain a ton of resupply XP are doing so in good faith, or bad?
  3. Cirevam

This is really what SOE should do. If I throw down my max-level ammo pack in a platoon-versus-platoon fight, I should keep receiving experience as many different people are resupplying. If I throw it down in a fight of less than a dozen people total, I could expect to see the XP capped as I'm resupplying the same few people over and over. This also solves the "people macroing two ammo sundies" problem.
    • Up x 1
  4. Nogrim313

it doesnt stop us from doing our job but if you would ever like us to do that job better we need the xp to upgrade those tools, i havent bothered upgrading my support tools since the cap came in to play because what is the point if it isnt going to get me xp, im much better off upgrading my weapons to get kills to upgrade things than to cert out an ammo box that stops doing anything for me after 200 xp

its a pure cost/ benefit problem
    if youve seen a fully certed repair sundy it can out repair MBT fire but no one bothers unlocking it because it gives them **** xp for something that costs so much

also they have GM's now monitoring for cheaters there is no reason they can't watch the warpgates and catch the people doing these stupid macros, instead of capping the xp make it flag them for investigation, that GM can pop over check things out and make sure its not stat padding its not that hard
  5. HLM

I never knew about these caps.. do we have some numbers on these?
  6. Kortan

Because certs are meaningless unless you're a bottom feeder.
    PS2 'should' be about the fight not the farm (but it's not, because SOE is incompetent).
  7. Jeslis

No they don't. Spawn xp NEVER stops.
  8. Kanil

Yeah it does. I parked a Sunderer in the shields of a Tech Lab two days ago, and for a few minutes I stopped getting EXP for spawns. It picked up after a while though, so the cooldown can't be that long.
  9. illgot

haha... I'm sad now.
  10. Oblomoff

One can find unlimited xp exploits with support sunderers, but gunner kill xp should not be limited.
  11. Phaze

It's a thing... among many... that hasn't been balanced.

They'll get around to it eventually.
  12. Jeslis

I gotta be honest, I think you bugged... I used to spawn sunderers at the crown, at huge battles in amp stations..etc.. and I BABY those sunderers.. and the xp NEVER stops blinking up.

I think you got the shaft, sir.
  13. Revanmug

What this man said. Every single thing that grant XP in this game has a cap, even kills (if you are somehow able to reach it. Was possible with early liberator).

The problem is that some are really low. Hacking for exemple stop giving XP after 3 hack on the same kind of thing. Recon tool seem to also cap really fast. Not like it is working well anyway. I have heard people capping healing/rezing fairly fast in biolab for exemple.

Wake up ffs. XP caps have been the same since release in November...
  14. starlinvf

The downside being the size of the arrays needed to track all that. Anything that can be controlled, can be exploited. And the main reason the current setup works, is because it makes farming attempts not worth the trouble. Introduce a way to forcibly reset it, and the exploiting can start up again.

But as it stands, the caps are still very generous on their limits. I've only seen a couple instances in the last few months where even a spawn sundy stopped giving Exp in a big fight.
  15. Kilmannan

Me, if I'm not getting anything back for spending my valuable time on playing the game.

This game is all about progression. Progression to unlock weapons / items / upgrade abilities, etc.

How would you feel if you played and had a tiny progression rate compared to everyone else because you chose to support your teammates? The most selfless role in the game is the most punished.

I've seen battles grind to a halt because of a lack of Engie chucking down ammo or someone rolling up an AMS Sundy. I've spent numerous battles in my tank having to leave the battle to find an ammo Sundy because no-one's brought one due to the low reward.

There are many, many intelligent ways SOE could control the farming of Exp, but as with many things in this game, they have chosen the laziest way possible of doing it and it's the player who's punished.

In fact, here's one fun idea that'd introduce lots of new tactics and gameplay:

Sunderers have to actually carry the physical ammunition they're reloading. Once they run out, they have to return to an Ammo Tower to restock.

So maybe it works like a Repair Gun, where the counter goes up (Or more likely down) depending on your ammo stock level. Once it's out, you've got to chug back to an ammo tower to restock on it.
  16. ABATTLEDONKEY

Did you even READ the rest of my post? LOL!!

The game is NOT about progression. The game is about entertainment. Entertainment, to me, is winning, or at least having a good fight. I do what is necessary to help my team win. I play support most of the time, and the main body of my post was stating how I diddnt care about the totally lack of xp for my efforts. If you want a sense of progression, there are MANY better games than this one. COD is probably the best game for it since it happens so fast, maybe even BF3. This game is very slow. Progression is a trick to get you hooked. Its a means of keeping you coming back. thats all.

I also stated I didnt like the Idea of an XP cap because I diddnt care about stat padders. they dont bother me at all. I enjoy the idea of people making the proper rewards for their efforts, it just isnt a big deal. Its not a real issue, and if SOE wants to limit padders, then im not really concerned.

If your idea of fun is "progressing", and you really dont care about your team, or teammates, then please, play VS or TR because I REALLY dont want to have you as a representative in our faction. The difference between good players, and "modern gamers" is the difference between you and me: Teamplayers, and selfish, entitled players. Try to not concern yourself with worthless XP. you may find that you actually progress faster, and have more fun doing it. After all, in a few years, you probably wont be playing the game and all "progress" you made, will be a complete waste of time. Same cannot be said for those simply seeking entertainment.

Per your Idea: Its a good one. Mechanics like this help add depth to teh game and open up a whole new world for weapons, that are otherwise impossible to balance. making "supply" of ammo, or repair functions is essential to this games longevity. I can only hope that the Devs are working towards this goal.
    • Up x 1
  17. Kilmannan

Entertainment to me is having fun and progressing through the game. For you, it's winning. We have different ideas what that word means.

If the game wasn't about progression, why have an unlock system? I don't care about the Exp, I care about the Certs that come with it. If I wanted to play a game with dynamics and tactics that didn't have Exp, I'd go play chess.

As it is, you play for entertainment, so do I, but I also want to progress so I can unlock new abilities / weapons, try new strategies with different loadouts, etc, otherwise the game quickly becomes repetitive. Slowing down that progression for players who are willing to help their teammates stay in the fight is a poor development decision.
  18. ABATTLEDONKEY

OK serious question: do you read past the first 2 lines, or do you just stop after an extremely short period of reading and then reply?

I only ask this because in BOTH posts, I have addressed what your posts concerns were, BEFORE your posted them.

If you made it this far, then a progression system is a gimmick. Its designed to appeal to your addictive personality, and keep you coming back for more. Its a trick, or facade. If you like the sense of progression then cool, thats your deal. Why are you playing PS2? the progression system in this game is horrible. Its designed to last years. If you like progression, then may I suggest COD or BF3? those games have GREAT progression systems that are both fast, rewarding, and visually stimulating.
  19. xxx73

To put a exp cap on vehicle supply destroy the incentives of supplying support. To bad that I already used a lot of certs on something that is not useful. To have more range on vehicle ammo supply make no sense since you only will reach the cap faster. I want my certs points back...
  20. Zotamedu

I am more confused about the cap on infiltrator hacking. It's set really low and for now apparent reason. You get so little experience per hack anyway so it's not like they limit any real abuse. The most you can get would be if you managed to run around an entire Amp station, hacking all the turrets. I would get roughly 10 times the experience, if not more, from clearing the hack up with my engineer, blowing the turrets up and then repairing them. It really makes no sense at all. You don't even get a ribbon from hacking while it only takes about four destroyed Phalanx turrets to get a ribbon for repairing.