[BUG] AMMO PACKS no longer working...

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TokyoShoe, Dec 22, 2012.

1. TokyoShoe

Anyone else suddenly have this issue? It's all over Indar / Mattherson.
  2. IshanDeston

To heavy Server load. We had that happening on Woodman at the last Double Exp event. When the going got really though people suddenly wouldn't get Ammo anymore.

Its not the current build, i just logged out and could receive ammo previously.
  3. GImofoJoe

Also, there's a bug with the grenade launcher where it stops refilling ammo and screwing with the bullet ammo cap, video

Wish it would refill hand grenade too.
  4. Ipecac

Please no never.
  5. TokyoShoe

Well this bug was affecting everyone, grenade launcher or no.

Regarding Ammo Packs and hand grenades, heck no. It is bad enough that people can coax Grenade Launcher refills out of one when they technically are not supposed to (according to the developers). Refillable hand grenades would mean infinite grenade spam, which means we would NEVER get out of the spawn tube rooms.

Tube camping is bad enough, that would just make it epically worse.
  6. Mafarett

could you please link to the dev quote on this? But yeah, no on hand grenades.
  7. TokyoShoe

I invested Station Cash into the TR's TRAC-5 S carbine, specifically for the purpose of putting 100 cert points into the Grenade Launcher. I found out how buggy it was with regards to reloading and put in a support ticket telling them that the thing is bugged to hell. The response I got from support told me that it's actually 'not as bugged as I was suggesting' specifically because it is intended to only reload from an ammo pack ONCE. You basically run around with 2 grenades in the GL. When you reload another two (from ANY ammo pack), you have "spent your reload" and have to find an equipment terminal to replenish. "This was a design choice specifically made to prevent the spamming of grenades from the Grenade Launcher attachment." The only bug with the Grenade Launcher is that it quite often stops the carbine it is attached to from reloading ammo as well... forcing a complete ammo depletion and screwing you over during a fire fight.

I asked them to confirm this, and I got another response to the support ticket from a higher up support Manager telling me the same thing.

I then specifically told them that if this was the case, I wanted a refund for my Station Cash I spent on the TRAC-5 S and that I wanted a refund for the 100 Certs put into Grenade Launcher. Nowhere in the description does it state that it is a "limited ammo weapon" and since the grenades for it do not cost resources.. this causes a deceptive "deviation" from normal design patterns that the players expect.

They told me flat out "We do not refund Station Cash or Certification Points under any circumstance." (Direct quote from the email.) If I "mis-read" or "misinterpreted" the description or functionality of a weapon or upgrade in game, it wasn't their fault.

TL;DR - According to technical support, the Developers have intentionally limited the grenade launcher attachment to one "resupply" from an ammo pack, after which it is supposed to stop reloading ammo. The "stop reloading ammo" part is bugged, and often either doesn't stop reloads or stops it TOO well and prevents the weapon it is attached to from reloading as well. They don't want grenade spam from grenade launchers...

...and after I've been on the inside of a "Spawn Tube Camping" with grenades being spammed at the doorway endlessly, I agree with them 100%.
  8. DankFist

This can't be the case because doing some test-runs last night with it, (when it wanted to reload) it did so more than once. before I logged I effectively shot off around 8-10 grenades using my ammo pack.

If; however, what you say is true. They are going about it the wrong way. If they don't want people spamming it in spawn room doors, simply adjust the distance it requires for them to explode. No need to punish those of us who would use it to clear out entrenched enemies.
  9. Mafarett

I have very often reloaded my GL more then once, and I've never had the no reload affect the main weapon.
    @DankFist They've done something similar to what you suggested already. I've seen it consistently where grenades do no damage if they were only fired within ~10m, and was on the receiving end of a direct grenade 10-15m out and only had my shield taken off. It seems they added a minimum damage range, which I'm fine with as the weapon excels at shelling people behind cover at range.
  10. TokyoShoe

I can consistently reproduce this bug with a Carbine and Grenade Launcher. If at any point you fire your grenade launcher down to 0/0 ammunition while NOT standing on an ammo pack, you have a more than 90% chance of not being able to reload your GL's ammo. To make matters worse, once you hit this state another bug (a second half) takes hold: your primary weapon (the carbine in my case) has its maximum reserve ammo count reduced every time you reload your weapon's clip BEFORE the clip is entirely depleted.

Basically.. from what support is telling me (and I am willing to admit this guy may just be a looney), the GL should only reload ONCE from an Ammo Pack. If it reloads more than once.. it's a bug. If the GL ever forces the main weapon to stop reloading, that's a bug also.
  11. EvadableMoxie

Far as the grenade launcher goes:

The entire resupply thing with the underslung weapons is all messed up. I've tried it only spamming on top of my own ammo box and it still bugs, or spam it away from a box, then walk to it, sometimes it bugs sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can fire off 20 or 30 grenades and it won't bug. Other times it will bug immediately and I won't even get 1 grenade. I've experimented and never found anything that made the bug reproduce although it does seem 'streaky', as I'll go for an hour with it bugging every time, then I can go a few hours with it only bugging occasionally. So, maybe it's based on location, or lag, or other circumstances.

Someone in another thread suggested a work around which works: Switch to your pistol and fire a shot, then reload. While the reload animation is going, switch to your primary and fire off a round, then reload and allow the reload to finish. If you do this in this exact order and then switch to the grenade launcher while standing near a resupply your total grenades in reserve goes up by one.

It will go by one regardless of how many grenades you already have. I had 1 grenade in the tube and 11 in reserve at one point before I got bored. However, I noticed if you don't stop at 1/1 it will almost always bug immediately again once you are out of grenades, whereas if you stop right at 1/1 and fire then resupply it has a good chance to unbug you which will let your box resupply grenades until it randomly bugs again. Then again, it might just have been the 'streaky' nature of the bug.

All testing was done with a Compact Gauss S. Not sure if it's different for different factions.

I've never run into the issue of the main weapon not reloading or the total in reserve being lowered. Oh, and it seems that hitting 1 to switch to your main gun works when it's out of ammo but not when it has another grenade in reserve, in which case you have to change firing modes. The lack of consistency is annoying.