Ammo Pack side grade / changes

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Staticsilver, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Staticsilver

To make the ammo pack a little more interesting i thought up a few ideas real quick to "specialize" it a little more.
    *note ammo numbers justt for example, this is just a rough idea.

1) Rather than just have unlimited ammo in the notebook sized pack of a black hole, why not make it have a base amount of ammo at base level , say for now just 500 bullets, for an example. As people took ammo the ammo pack would decrease down to zero, this would also require the Engie to resupply to a terminal if he/she wanted to ever drop more than 3 in one life (# could change on certs). Then increasing certs into this would case more ammo to be added to the packs cap. This would require a little more thinking with ammo packs and prevent so much spam.

2) Separate rockets: This cert would replace the Ammo pack with a rocket crate, same concept with say 150 rockets at base, and could only resupply heavies, this would again provide a little more specialization for the engie. and this would come with the same 2 trees as the ammo pack, either you could choose to increase the range, or ammo in the crate.

3) Spec ops pack (or something couldn't think of a good name): This last pack would sacrifice a large amount of ammo, putting it down to say like 10 mags or such in exchange for being able to resupply, grenades, C4, proxy darts. etc., this would of course take these ability's away from the other packs.

These are just ideas to give the pack more specializations and pull it away from being a tiny node of endless bullets and booms. I love engie and play it alot, but i feel so 2d when it comes to some of my ability to support, and want it to be a little harder and require some more communications to get things done. Sorry for the unorganized rushed post im tired and just had a little idea. Just ask if you want me to expand on something at all
  2. Revered

No offense but I'd rather you not expand on any of this. I doubt many people are going to get behind you on making ammo packs more 'interesting' by making them more convoluted in usage. Sometimes, yeah it is very easy to see 15 ammo packs lying around making their deployment seem mindless and uninteresting. Other times, though, I find myself running behind a friendly Eng screaming ammo and clubbing him with my gun to no avail.
    Sorry, but I think having several different ammo types would make things worse. Players walking around looking for the right type of ammo pack for their empty weapon or following an Eng around for 3 or 4 minutes only to tell your LA "Sorry bro, I only gots rockets ammo."
    Suggest things that actually make them more useful, not more confusing. Not that these are great, but here's just a few off the top of my head:
    -ammo pack icons are color-coated to the faction
    -add some small animation to the icon or on the minimap icon (like grow/shrink, etc)
    -change the way the pack actually looks so it doesn't, like you said, look like a magical cigarette case
    -offer a cert so people can interact with the pack to resupply items purchased with infantry points

Or here's an acceptable one, to me, out of your book
    -offer the cert to abandon infantry ammo pack for dropping a short-duration vehicle ammo pack.
    • Up x 1
  3. RealityWarrior

I agree 100%

Adding Certifications to allow other things would be neat but making it harder, slower, more screwy would NOT be better :(

I am thinking things like...
    - Allow 2nd ammo box, placing a 3rd picks up the 1st. Placing a 4th picks up the 2nd etc.
    - make ammo box be like a mine. Dropable instead of placed. (would give more areas you could place it and eliminate the search for a flat enough spot)
    - Stick Ammo box! I would love to stick it to a vehicle and make it mobile

Things of that nature would make it fun not a chore.
    • Up x 2
  4. Brainiac88

And I support! Pretty nice ideas :3
  5. smoke eater

Not a big fan of these ideas. Its bad enough with people always crying for ammo thinking we are their own personal ammo mules instead of noticing that we just dropped an ammo pack a few feet away. Its bad enough how it is. Imagine now, as an engineer some guy yells for ammo and you put a pack on the ground. That same guy runs away from you still spamming he wants ammo, which means I`ve just wasted a drop. People shoot engineers if they don`t get their ammo, think of the strife this will create if I drop ammo and some moron is too stupid to check their mini map and starts to shoot me to get more ammo. This creates a nice team killing atmosphere, not something I look forward to.

Also, if I notice a sniper then I will drop ammo for him and then run off to resupply or fix something. A sniper doesn`t give much XP in ammo consumption which means that snipers now go without. It will only be the biggest area of people that get ammo because who would want to waste an ammo pack on one or two people.

For explosives (grenades and mines) which cost resources, an engineer will have to drop a terminal so people can resupply and decide whether to spend their resources. There are sunderers for that. Engineers just give nanite created ammo. As for re-arming vehicles, that would be interesting but there are ammo sundy`s for that role as well.

I would not be against having a limited number or rounds in the ammo pack so you have to re-deploy it when the ammo is gone as opposed to the time limit. Either way, people will still scream for ammo even when it is a key tap to the side.