Always wondered about the launcher...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nephi1im, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Nephi1im

So, I've always wondered why the PS2 launcher damn near freezes my computer up any time it is patching. Download a 1gb patch on another game? Cool! whatever, surf the net while you wait. Downloading 40 torrents at a time? Hah! who cares, no noticeable difference in performance....

Download a PS2 patch of any size? Better go take a jog because not only does it seem to be at 56k speed, but you are not allowed to do anything else with the computer. Nope, no sir, that 47mb patch that takes 20 minutes has all rights to all of your CPU cores broseph.....

Seriously, is this just like a terrible coding issue? I never experience this with any other downloading or installing of anything. It's pretty ridiculous.
  2. Goretzu

It's fast enough downloading for me, but it does tend to make Firefox freeze if I verify game data. :confused:
  3. Stigma

Ive never had this issue... are you sure its not a matter of harddrive thrashing with a slow laptop-drive or something like that? Did you actually check your taskmanager screen and saw that it was taking up all of you CPU? If it's really taking up so much of your CPU that web-browsing is hard to do while patching then I think you are experiencing something that shouldn't be happening...

I'm testing intalling the new patch right now on my laptop (since that's what I'm using to write this and I haven't updated it on this PC yet) and my taskmanager is reporting 3-10% aproximately CPU-usage while installing it. Granted this is a fairly fast quadcore, but none of the cores are even close to even breaking a sweat, so I can't imagine that even an older singlecore should bog down completely while doing this like you are describing...

Check your taskmanager and verify if this is actually a CPU-usage problem. If it is then I'd suggest you put in a troubleshooting ticket with support because as I said I don't think that is supposed to be happening...

-Stigma
  4. sustainedfire

Ive experienced the huge resource hog of verifying the files, and occasionally while updating, it can really slow down my computer as well.

Sort of weird.