[Suggestion] Allow the Ranger to aim Downwards.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scr1nRusher, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Respawn

Flak damage mechanics as a whole need a serious overhaul.
    Flak is too slow (projectile speed) to kill ESF
    Flak is too weak to kill lib or galaxy
    The walker is by far the superior choice because it's bullet speed is intentionally fast enough to engage aircraft effectively beyond 100m, unlike the ranger.

While I'd be ok with giving the ranger a wider angle of view, that wont really boost its popularity or effectiveness.
  2. Moridin6

i often find my sundy parked at a weird angle that prevents my front mounted ranger from aiming low enough to hit enemy air, other times im parked on a hill for lancing and the ranger will not aim low enough for me to hit any libs or esf smart enough to come in low. the "boost" it would get to anti inf would be minimal
    • Up x 1
  3. WetPatch

Well your problem there isn't that the Ranger can't aim down, it's the fact you bought the Ranger over the Walker.
  4. LodeTria

That'd only allow it to kill infantry (barely), Flashes (barely) & harassers (hope they are alseep).
    You'd need to make the ranger actually useful first before we begin QoL changes.
    • Up x 1
  5. Moridin6

i find it useful as most pilots assume the worst(skyguard) when flak starts to hit them And it allows for noobs to have an easier time defending my sundy with the flak needing less precise aim
  6. Gundem

Well, seeing as that I'm not salty, I have to assume you are.

Becides, letting the Ranger aim downwards wouldn't be all that helpful. Inability to damage armor, bad CoF, low direct-hit damage and slow velocity makes it useless against any non-aircraft target in the game.

I'm all for making the Ranger less bad, but I highly doubt that's the way to go about it.
  7. Scr1nRusher

Actually you just listed everything that needs to be buffed on the Ranger, besides being able to aim down.

Also I was just kidding with the salt, sorry about that :)
  8. Zombo

edit: nvm, thought of the walker instead of the ranger...

in case of the ranger, it would be pretty damn useless against anything but air, but you could at least aim at aircraft if your are parked on a hill with your sundy, so that would make sense
    • Up x 3
  9. Eternaloptimist

But what purpose? I'd always opt for a weapon against ground targets that sent the shells where I was aiming. Using a Ranger against ground targets sounds a bit like an argument for randomly spraying mini grenades around the place and I personally think there is enough explosive spam around at the moment.

Making the Ranger more effective in its intended role of AA, now that might be an idea.....................
  10. Azawarau

Itd be a meh alternative to the Walker that could hit infantry if only a little
    • Up x 1
  11. Savadrin

I liked the Walker overall, even for AI, when it's LA trying to do LA things.

But the lack of aiming range is crippling.

I've been trying to test out different combinations on a battle bus, but even with two guns, there's just nothing that does fantastic as an all purpose build.

Before I shuffled over to the red side main, I was running Fury and Kobalt, typically. Why?

Without a dedicated crew who has preferences, you're not killing any armor.

The Kob will damage an ESF, perhaps not the way the Walker would, but excels in AI everywhere. If a Lib/Gal shows up, you're screwed either way without a real crew, and probably with one too.

I liked the Basilisk but in the end it just doesn't shoot quickly or accurately enough to be able to engage multiple infantry targets the way the Kobalt does, and it doesn't kill armor fast enough to be useful.

I'm not even sure I'd keep the Fury since most people (myself included) are terrible at shooting it accurately and it has it's own special range issues. But it's certainly enough to give folks a little pause if they don't know what else is around.