All the weapons look the same

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kiro, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Aerius

They handle differently, that's all that matters.

That's so stupid I can't even think of a response.
  2. SoliDeoGloria

Pretty sad from SEO. I had a family member buy a gun and said over teamspeak that he accidentally bought the default weapon that he already had. When u go out on the battlefield every soldier looks to have the same weapon with different attachments.
  3. Frozenkex

Well if thats their way of optimizing and making the game run better.... The game runs like ****, it utilizes CPU quite poorly, and GPU even poorer, my 660ti barely reaches 30% power target if ever.
  4. Fox234

Yeah but if thats the case why offer boosts and membership XP boosts? Isn't unlocking a gun enough of a cert benefit (saving 1k certs) that it makes it a little odd they're letting you bypass the grind AND power up your character faster? Just seems to me like its blatant price gouging when someone can spend $35 a month on a F2P game ($15 membership $20 XP boosts) and buy guns for $7. I think SOE is giving people too much of an advantage.

Here is an even better point. Why doesn't spending SC give you a XP boost automatically? Why is there only a F2P and Premium membership? For example when you buy you first item with SC your account is upgraded to a "silver" membership which gives you a 25% XP boost. This makes that $7 buy more than a clone gun, eases up on some of their grind, and still leaves incentives for upgrading to a membership.
  5. windexglow

You're not just buying a weapon or membership, you're helping pay for the servers and updates. The game was made to make money.
  6. Alkasirn

Actually most guns do have a unique look. Unfortunately, 90% of their uniqueness is usually on the barrel (which is difficult to see in first person) or the stock (which is impossible to see in first person). It's like playing a modern military game where you start with an AR15 and can buy a M16 or M4. There's no engine or time limitations; the designs are just extremely similar and uninspired.
  7. Mietz

Mount&Blade, Persistent Multiplayer RP Warfare mod
    Yes battles are instanced, but that doesn't change the fact of rendering.

My pc doesnt care if it renders 300 players or 300 AI (beyond CPU load for the AI, which is not rendering).
  8. Keystone

Okay, let me put this in simplest terms so even the technologically disinclined (read: computer illiterate) can understand:

Optimized game or every weapon looking different. Pick one.
  9. Vreki

Then how do you explain this? And the tons of similar stuff that they are going to sell in the future?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  10. Gammit

One of the performance issues of the original PS was having to deal with a lot of textures. But even ~10 years ago, there was more variety in weapon shape and the game still worked.

I doubt it's an issue of "we can't" so much as it's a balancing act: there is a lot more eye candy and more players in PS2 than the original (or in other games), and it may be more difficult to have all of that and many more differing gun models. That's just a guess, though.
  11. ajappat

I truly can't wait what counter argument people come up with.

"But there was only enough ram for different helmets!"

:D
  12. Jourmand1r

Planetside 2 is optimized?
  13. Max_Damage

I have only one complaint: VS weapons look like huge dildos.
    • Up x 1
  14. TheBloodEagle

Well you have to remember it's a business. The game itself cost a couple million to make, promote and not to mention it's going to cost money to keep people on payroll for maintenance, server, updating, social stuff, etc. It's only been 2/3 months. They probably won't make back their investment/money to make even until more than a year or 2 from now and they have a 3 year and up plan, I think 10 was also mentioned to make actual profit. So they are trying to make money from every avenue possible at least for now.

It's pretty effective actually even if nickle & dimming you. I didn't want to spend hours grinding for a 1000 cert sidegrade, so I bought SC on the triple SC day, because I feel like my time is more valuable than putting in hours since I'm not a teen anymore (maybe you are?). Plus if it was a combo type of thing, pay for gun & get more exp then that would be more like pay2win instead of how it is now, pay2notgrind. In all fairness, you don't have to play the game. There are literally tens of thousands of games out there and you can grab a bunch off Steam on discounts if you don't like it or there are actually a good number of other free games as well. You don't have to spend anything on PS2 either and/or you can wait for the double and triple SC days to get more value.
  15. Isila

We've already had a stealth update to provide a greater variety of weapon sounds (at least TR infantry weapons; they used to all sound very similar if not identical, but after game update 1 they now have a much wider variety of sound); I see no reason to believe they wouldn't do something similar for models/textures once they feel they can get it right with the game's performance issues.
  16. Otleaz

Even if all the crap about the engine not being able to handle it is true, it only goes to show how badly this stupid 2000 player gimmick is screwing with the game.

Why do you people care that there are 2000 people on the continent if you only ever see 50-100? It might as well be separated into loading zones.
  17. Zakuak

LOL, funny!

I'm a tad bent on the lack of visual variety to the weapons as well but....I bet that will change over time as they release new weapons in the store...lol. Makes perfect sense, give the players some weapons so they can start the killing but don't make them too cool or real effective then we can sell them better equipment over time.
  18. QuantumMechanic

Just wait till you see the upcoming SMGs. I'm not going to say that they look like the carbines (but they do look like the carbines).
  19. Goden

If I'm going to be dropping real money or hard-earned certs on a weapon I at least desire it to look somewhat unique.

They don't.

All of the guns (including the upcoming SMG's) are just made up of a pool of around 5 weapon parts that are just recycled over and over. The recently added NS rocket-launchers which are just NC rocket-launchers with a new texture. TR LMG's all look exactly the same, there isn't even any model swapping.

I'm sorry but this amount of laziness is inexcusable.
  20. mina5

Oh man those skull masks are so freaking ugly .....