All of the new content was disappointing.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wade-D, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Wade-D

Server meld and continent locking... so I can't go to my favorite continent occasionally, all of the players will be focused in smaller areas, there are more players, no where to run off to when one team has an extreme number advantage? - and oh yeah, the team that is zerging gets a bonus which I don't know if you thought about this but will probably cause players from the other teams to jump to that side during - even more than they normally would (who wouldn't want some bonus exp, or the ability to spam vehicles, and NOT being slaughtered during their game time?)
    Tanks driving on butter? Because tanks made of butter were too awesome - more complications needed.
    Tons of new outfit focus? Of course, because everybody in Planetside 2 is group focused and would love to have orders barked at them by some squeaky child in lieu of doing things however they want.
    Also, Hossin is ugly and obnoxiously cramped. Bases are too close together.

Why has so much time been spent on nonsense when the actual game-play could be being improved? Why not flesh out the teams to make them more unique instead of toying with all of these things that might just break Planetside 2's game-play?
    There are two unique vehicles per team. Many of the guns are practically the same with a different skin.
    I really just don't understand why anybody would want to drag Planetside 2 in this direction instead of just improving on the things that were already fun.
    • Up x 4
  2. Eyeklops

I agree that ALL the continents are too cramped, with Esamir being the least overcrowded. I also agree we need more ES vehicles and something is wrong with tank traction. For the rest of your gripes, may I offer some salt for you to pound on?
  3. Ac3s

I'm with the OP, more then half of the weapons we have are useless and we still need vehicles to be balanced better.
    Every time some genius in the community comes out with some cool ideas that would fit perfect for the game SOE goes in the opposite direction, one example being less bases and more open space for actual vehicle combat.
    Now we got Hossin with 80 cramped bases and a lattice system that greatly benefits the over-popped faction.
    First I was happy to hear they were putting in continent locking, but instead of actually capping the enemy warpgate itself its just like a regular 94% cap alert.
    Also -50% resources for vehicles is absurd, faction with overpop can throw down even more vehicles which only makes the overpop that much worse.
    • Up x 1
  4. cl34n3r

New content is awesome but sure need some graphic/base dispositions adjustments, also continent locking need modify for not favor so much the server overpoped faction - is good to have some reward fight for it but underpoped factions need also some atention for have same fun; other thing is the FPS drop (i can put on medium from ultra 2-3 things from graphics but i am sure people who have lower power PC configurations got some problems when play on Hossin). So don't panic at all, just give here in forums feed-back and i am sure SoE will do what need for better gameplay.
  5. MasonSTL

It has been overwhelmingly agreed upon that continent locking is the best direction the game should go in. Same (more or less) with the server merge.

Please do keep in mind that this is just the first phase of continental lattice, a platform for a better 'endgame'
    • Up x 7
  6. BillHaverchuck

The most disappointing thing is being a PS2 developer. Developing an experimental ahead-of-its-time game that is free to play, well-balanced and awesome, yet everyone whines about everything even new content.
    • Up x 12
  7. Calisai

Heh, nothing you said was wrong... it was all personal opinion though. He said that he has the complete opposite opinion of yours.

Both of you have equally effective arguments. Yours is dripping with personal opinions, emotion and complaints... his is shallow and without explanation.

I, personally, loved every minute I spent on Hossin yesterday. I like the outfit recruitment enhancements, but wish there was more of it. I think overall its a beautiful continent, but needs a bit less fog so we can actually see it better. Even though the bases are close together, the amount of cover and alternative routes seemed okay to me.. unlike on Amerish which you are open to the air the whole time and get pounded on... at least with Hossin we have some cover from air.

I could go on, but i'd like to have more experience with the continent before making final judgements.
  8. Ronin Oni

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about your ranting.

We have something in common after all!
  9. Ronin Oni

Intentionally so actually.

I know I'm not going to sway his opinion, so why waste my effort explaining my viewpoint if it will do literally nothing.

My point was simply to state, in no uncertain terms, that I absolutely disagree with his opinion. No further discussion necessary. The point was only to tell the OP that his opinion was just that, an opinion, and NOT shared by everyone. (as evidenced by having more likes with a simple "I disagree" than the OP's post)

When I got to his derisive attitude towards outfits, I already knew there was no point in discussing things reasonably with him. Making outfits accessible for the common casual is absolutely vital to this games continued success

As for Hossin, well, no, of course not everyone will like it. I mean, I think we established that back with Indar. Lots of people, mind-boggingly, love ♥♥♥ Indar. Myself and most my friends HATE it, but love Hossin. Different tastes. Nothing wrong there.

As for continent locking forcing rotation of active continents... BLOODY WELL GOOD!

As having been FORCED to play on a continent I didn't like for 2 years nobody has an ounce of sympathy from me if they can't play on Indar EVERY TIME. Forced variation is a GOOD thing. I've got no problem playing Indar sometimes... but FFS I'm SOOO SICK of it being the ONLY place to play. Continent locking is a GOD SEND to PS2
    • Up x 4
  10. Jbrain

I disagree completely. Me and my nephew have been having a BLAST these last few days and I want to say THANK YOU DEVS.

The new continent is well balanced in that infantry can fight and not always be cert sheep for vehicles like indar is.

The new alerts and locking gives us good reasons to fight.. we want the bonus and we want to stop the enemy from getting the bonuses.

Its only been a few days and I can say the devs have done spectacular and my enjoyment of the game is higher than ever.

Thanks
    • Up x 2
  11. Ronin Oni

^was that a resummation of the original post?
  12. GeneralPeragorn

Hossin is my favourite continent by far, it's beautiful and has nice tight spaces ideal for flashes and harassers, my two favourite vehicles.

Continent locking is the first stage to a much needed meta game, and while a bit basic right now does add to the game. The large bonuses actually make a point to capturing the continent. Anyone who disagrees with continent locking as a thing can go and stick their head in a blender.

Outfit enhancements helped to improve outfit identity and helped people to join new outfits. This should mean that lower level players are less confused and see the benefits for outfits, and that higher level players who like that thing will have more to do.
  13. patricio_z

Guess you weren't around 10 years ago....nothing in PS2 is experimental, that's an insult to truly experimental games like the original PS, which BTW has, as of today, 10x more depth than PS2 will ever have.
  14. Solidpew

This just in: online experiences vary from player to player. If you dislike something, you move on. I did it with my old game, and I'm here now and enjoying what's fresh and new. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

What is wrong is when someone displays an attitude of contempt after their opinion gets questioned, or if they act like their opinion is superior to the rest. Theoretically, forums should be a place where equals discuss and debate. In actuality, it's more of a mosh pit with some tea cup drinking on the side. :p

(the second paragraph is just an observation, it's not aimed at anyone and reflects how human nature tends to play out)
  15. \m/SLAYER\m/

Yes, usual to play some bases, with continent lock Hassing become OP, just a mess.. we are supposed to get new continent, but got only 2 playable:confused:
  16. Church41349

The only thing that is disappointing is the fact they they just made it were you could only lock one cont on Connrey and emerald which almost feels like it defeats the purpose of having it.
  17. volth

Outfit update was great. Hossin is a alpha map full of bugs and continental lock is in alpha too.

It feels like I playing a steam early access game, with all bugs, server lag, only 2 continents and low fps.

And now it's start to drop in more angry players on this forum that want their old PS2 back.

But the outfit update is fun and they tried to make a good map of Hossin.

Hossin have much potential, but the map design and base design isn't good for most classes except light assault and sniper's.
  18. MorganM

I agree with Ronin but OK fine, here... I'll address the OP and his arguments (not addressing you directly with my responses Fellgnome)

Can't go to your fav continent occasionally: Deal with it. Most people wanted continent locking and the features coming soon that depend on it: continental lattice, more continents, and battle islands. I love Indar too the fact you can't just play on it 24/7 anymore will have to be foregone for some global strategy. Great many of us don't mind that some continents are locked for a few hours. Some on Emerald were cry'n about Hossin being locked on the first night of release.... it was locked for 3 hours; deal with it.

no where to run off to when one team has an extreme number advantage: Simply wrong. I hate the big zerg fests just like the OP but I had zero problems finding smaller, more balanced, fights. Look harder and quit being picky (read: you may have to go to a continent that isn't your fav) Even on Hossin last night I had no problem finding the fights I prefer. Only annoying thing was when you almost had a cap the VS zerg would tell a platoon to go resecure it, they flood in, stomp everyone 3 or 4 to 1 and leave again. Up until those points the fights were a lot of fun.

team that is zerging gets a bonus which I don't know if you thought about this but will probably cause players from the other teams to jump to that side during - even more than they normally would (who wouldn't want some bonus exp, or the ability to spam vehicles, and NOT being slaughtered during their game time?) : So you want rewards given to the loosers? You don't get an XP bonus for zerging; the opposite is true... under pop faction gets an XP bonus. Some of us don't mind being the under dog because we find zergs to be boring, we like the XP bonus, and we have plenty of targets. I switched to VS on Waterson back when they were at their lowest and played to BR56... it was a blast. I'll hit BR100 even faster on my TR guy now! Personally I don't care if some yellow bellies want to switch factions just to "win". I don't participate in their boring zerg vs zerg fights so they truly do not effect me for the most part.

Tanks driving on butter? Because tanks made of butter were too awesome - more complications needed. : Not sure why some are complaining about tanks. They don't seem any worse than they have been for a while. Kinda sucks but it's not THAT bad. Get over it and L2P.

Tons of new outfit focus? Of course, because everybody in Planetside 2 is group focused and would love to have orders barked at them by some squeaky child in lieu of doing things however they want : You're playing the wrong game son. I can count on one hand how many times a squeaker was running a platoon. Never been in an outfit led by one. A good leader doesn't bark orders and is able to rally their troops, focus on objectives, and get way more done than any pile of lone wolves could hope to. I go lone wolf and also do squads. Ran plenty of squads and platoons myself. The fact is an organized group is far superior in this game. Nobody is forcing you to join them so what the Higby is your problem? A great many of us enjoy more outfit features, it's not taking anything away from you, once again: get over it.

Also, Hossin is ugly and obnoxiously cramped. Bases are too close together. : I may come off more terse here than I should but frankly this is why. Get the Higby out of here man. Some dudes busted their butts to bring you some awazing content that most of us think is awesome and all you can do is whine and complain like a spoiled little Higby. ****; go play some other game... we don't want negative nanites like yourself ruining our game.

Why has so much time been spent on nonsense when the actual game-play could be being improved? : Just more uninformed, inaccurate, garbage but by now I should expect it. They have done A LOT to improve "actual game-play" son. I simply can not believe you are ignorant to it all but rather I'm sure you are just ignoring it all to make a terrible point. Problem is you are making no point at all because anyone who has read the patch notes and played the game over the last 6 months knows you are flat out wrong. I could spend the time to go back through patch notes and make a fancy bullet list like I've done for other Higbys but I'm in no mood right now.
    • Up x 1
  19. brighthand

pre patch, I would log in hop into a fight and then log out after half an hour. Yesterday, I started playing on Hossin -while TIRED- and wound up not leaving my PC after like 4-5 hours with my wrists starting to hurt lol. This is not a typical gaming session for me as I usually can't stay on past 2 hours before my eyes start melting and my brain starts going numb. But this patch brought with it so much WIN. I love it, plus the server merge. With the new mechanics and the raging battles taking place, PS2 is starting to feel more like a game that I can see myself getting invested in now.

My only problem is the super bright shields. I like that they are brighter than before, as it actually makes the world around me more convincing for some reason, but right now it is to the point of blindingly obnoxious.

As for the fog: I hope they DON'T change it. It adds so much atmosphere to Hossin and further serves to differenciate the experience from the other continents (in addition to the dense foliage, intense CQC, and superbly challenging air combat).
    • Up x 1
  20. volth

"Can't go to your fav continent occasionally: Deal with it. Most people wanted continent locking and the features coming soon that depend on it: continental lattice, more continents, and battle islands. I love Indar too the fact you can't just play on it 24/7 anymore will have to be foregone for some global strategy. Great many of us don't mind that some continents are locked for a few hours. Some on Emerald were cry'n about Hossin being locked on the first night of release.... it was locked for 3 hours; deal with it."

Yes we did, but not like this when one map can be locked for days.
    PS1 continental lock sounds good PS2's lock is just stupid.

It's a cheap way to force players to try a new map.
    • Up x 1