After a fair bit of reading I have a couple of q's

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Madrax573, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Madrax573

Ok feel free to tell me I'm a total noob (I am) and I can't search for toffy etc. Oh yeah, I'm on Briggs btw as australia has crap internet and can't realistically play on any other server :mad:

I've been doing some reading of the forum while at work (lets face it, it's way more interesting thanh sodding spreadsheets!) and I've found a few things I'd like some clarification on.

4th faction: Eh? is this some mythic group of players that just bombs around and boost each faction up on some secret agenda or a reality?!

Class usage stats: Is there a way to get class usage stats for a faction on a given server (Briggs in my case)

Whats the general consensus or membership? Is the increased cert/exp/resource gain worth the money or is it better to just buy some of the starter/class packages and cert up the rest etc?

Thanks for any answers. And feel free to troll me as I need entertainment at work anyways :p

Madrax573 o7
  2. Raraldor

4th faction: The name given to people who not just play all factions, but purposefully go to the faction with the most population to win alerts

Class usage stats: Not that I am aware of. You can however look up individual players to see what classes they play the most, and what weapons

The membership is completely opinionated and it's a matter of if you think it's worth it and if you have money. as you haven't started playing yet I wouldn't recommend spending any money

edit: it is worth mentioning that with the increased cert gain you can buy the weapons you would be getting faster with certs that way, rather than with your SC, as well as the other things you use certs for.
    • Up x 1
  3. Trebb

Most Played class has got to be HA. Besides the obvious advantage in infantry combat, those who play infantry are sick of being farmed by vehicles. Go ahead and pull a vehicle and see how quick it goes down to 20 rocket launchers at every angle :p
  4. Madrax573

Ah cheers for that.

The 4th faction thing was bugging me for some reason o_O

I've put about 4 hours total game time in since I installed it and so far I am enjoying it. It is different to PS1 which I played way way too much off.

Still not sure who to fight for as I don't want to swap and change etc (I don't like 4th faction!!) I just need to find the right side for me.

From what I have seen/read the combat medic will give me a good 'base' and flexibility to learn the game so I'll probably stick with them for now....just gotta pick my faction....:confused:
  5. Raraldor

fourth faction isn't just playing all of the factions, I do that to an extent. Having a main faction is what's important, mine being NC. As such during alert times you'll see me on NC more often than not. Combat medic is the easiest class to get certs with while still not knowing and understanding every tool laid out to you, so it's great for beginners to get certs. Not to mention Combat Medics are a great contribution to any squad anyway.
  6. Dingus148

Briggs 4th Faction is currently with the TR (red guys). They tend to follow the north warpgate on Indar...ie. when the warpgates swap, the 4th Faction will move to whatever alt guarantees they'll spawn up north. Our 4th Factioners tend to behave a little differently than anyone elses though, because Briggs exists in a bit of a vacuum and we have a smaller population than most servers

A bit of advice for a Briggs newbie; basically, test out the faction's weapons in the VR and join the faction that you like the feel of. You're gonna see population stats now and probably gravitate towards the TR because we're massively bloated at the moment. IGNORE THAT SIREN SONG. The world will turn and those numbers will move elsewhere, at which point you'll be resentful of your investment. If you play the faction you like the feel of and stick with it, underpopulation can be awesome. A lot of Briggs TR miss the times we were sitting on 20% pop...the constant struggle to hold out against superior numbers. If you play the faction you like the feel of and stick with it, there's a sense of comradeship that develops.

Another important thing is to find a good group to play with. PS2 is a team game, and if you're not playing in an organised team you're gonna have a baaaaaad tiiiime.

-If you're playing NC, look for RSNC platoons or members to ask about getting an introduction to the game. AG7 is/was pretty good, I don't know if they're still conducting organised ops.

-If you're playing TR, IGDA is probably your best bet if you want to get good (they're really good and nice guys) or BOH if you like to have a great time. Comissar NotBob is something of a Briggs icon, just don't mind his teamkillings. He takes morale seriously. I'm going to recommend against SOGA or 7OXS, but only because they're huge outfits that don't need the numbers. They're certainly not bad players. In TR you're spoiled for choice though, and you really can't go wrong. Just make sure you find one of the established outfits.

-VS are in a bit of a weird place at the moment, but I think TCFB would be your best bet. GAB are Briggs' scariest outfit, and probably won't accept noobies. TROL should be avoided like the plague, at least until their dramas settle down. There's another major VS outfit that is pretty good, but their name escapes me at the moment. The collapse of TROL has left Briggs VS in a bad state though, so you might need to just see how things play out.

Good luck man, I'll see you on the battlefield!
  7. Madrax573

Yeah I'll probably end up having a toon in each faction just to have a play around with each of the factions gear etc.

I like to be flexible in my playstyle to help cover gaps in whatever formations I take part in etc. I usually have at least one subscription game going at any one point in time so I'll probably grab a membership (for a few months anyways) so I'm no worried about 'farming' certs etc.

My time in the militry is leading my choice more towards TR/NC rather than the VS. Something about the aesthetics just doesn't appeal to me tbh. If all the forum crying about the NC being 'hard mode' is right then I'll probably end up playing them most as I like a challenge :eek:
  8. Dingus148

NC being hardmode is a bit of a joke. When the game launched, they certainly were. But with the flinch changes, their weapons are just as good as anyone elses. Well, with the exception of a vehicle secondary called the Enforcer Modified, but all factions have their lemon.

Don't let your time in the military skew your choices. I was serving up with 3 Bde and in my Bn alone we have dudes playing all factions. Everyone agrees that this game bears no resemblance to reality. About the only tactic that works is room clearance; even flanking is unrelated to its real world equivalent. Just see what you like. This is a game where hipfire generally trumps ADS play, so don't expect for tactical advances to work. Instead, this is a game of rush and ambush.
  9. RaZz0R

Don't count out playing on Connery tho mate.
    Lots of us Aussie do and in some cases its better than Briggs ;)
    • Up x 1
  10. Madrax573

Might have a look at that. I usually have between 50-100 ping on BRiggs as I'm normally using a wireless connection....might log onto Connery and see how it goes as well.
  11. Madrax573

Yeah the militray reference was more to do with the styling of the NC/TR v the VR as i'm not one for spandex etc (well not unless I'm very drunk!)

I have noticed that PS2 is more of a twitch game than PS1 was. That may take some getting used to as I try to be more 'tactical' about things...
  12. PsycoCroc

AG7 still very much alive and kicking, we just having been running a bit more in house operations in the last week or so vs public platoons
    • Up x 1