Advice for recording video?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by cruczi, Feb 25, 2014.

1. tigerchips

Unfortuanely I get a lot of problems from the in-game recorder, well one, running out of video ram or something. I have 3gb, lol. Maybe it's because I have a very long video, or graphics too high?
  2. fumz

Good lord... that's terrible! Anything, and by that I mean literally anything is better than the ingame tool. Just for the sake of comparison, 1 minute of shadowplay @ 1080, 60fps, high quality is 375MB.
    • Up x 1
  3. johnukguy

Since you asked me to expand on the settings for Dxtory and how to ensure that YouTube doesn't downgrade your video clips as much as it usually does, this is one of the better guides that I've come across:

http://thenightcrowtribe.com/index.php?topic=463.0
    • Up x 1
  4. Flyaxl

yes Tigerchips, u just have to push CTRL+ALT+V ingame and it will start recording, do it again to stop.
  5. tigerchips

Nah, it doesn't work, it has never worked for me. I often see the record message stuck in corner of my screen, can't get it off unless I restart game. Plus, it only records a couple of seconds.
  6. LibertyRevolution

The default keybind is page up.
  7. LibertyRevolution

How nice for you, too bad shadowplay only works on nvidia 6+series and higher...
    Maybe you should read the original post before saying use shadowplay...

BTW, I have seen TONS of youtube videos that look MUCH worse than mine thank you.

I have FRAPS, and I have tried it on planetside2, it kills my framerates.
    Here is a quick video shot with FRAPS, fullscreen, 30FPS:

Here is in game recorder:
  8. fumz

I replied to the op on page 1; there I laid out plenty of options and their pros and cons specific to what the OP asked for. Perhaps it's you who should re-read the original post? Clearly, this isn't what he asked for.

I'm not sure why you took the post personally; after all, you didn't write the built in recording tool, so why are you offended by the blatantly obvious: it's terrible?

Yes, there are videos on youtube that look worse than yours; that doesn't change the fact that the built in recorder stinks and that it can't do what the op wants.
  9. LibertyRevolution

I am offended because you said "Good lord...that's terrible!" when clearly my video made with ingame is not terrible..

This is terrible:

While this is the exact opposite of terrible:

Get it now?
  10. cruczi

To be honest, the 720p of that video looks barely better than 480p of true 720p downscaled. It's not terrible, but it's very much sub-par. I'm looking for something more like this at 1080p, the visual quality and style of this video is more in line with the sort of vision I have of what I want to do (although the gameplay here is pretty crap):

Set this video to 720p and it looks much better than your upscaled 720p.
  11. fumz

/sigh...

You got offended because you chose to get offended and you chose to ignore my statement in it's full context... like you just did again by truncating more than half of what I said.

You talked about the ingame tool and you cited numbers. I said that's terrible and cited other (read: better) numbers. 800mb for 768 vs 300mb for 1080 @ 60 fps. No matter how you slice it, that's terrible... and AS I SAID, anything is better than the ingame TOOL.

How you (allegedly) read "anything is better than the ingame tool" and turned that into YOUR videos is anyone's guess? GG comprehension. Sorry I got your panties in a bunch criticizing the crap software that is the ingame recorder. Bye.
  12. S7rudL

Videos look a lot better if you edit them in Sony Vegas Pro, apply Sharpness to them and export in lossess format. 2 hours would then be 800GB which you would compress.

FRAPS 1680x1050 - 720p sharp

FRAPS 1680x1050 - 720p blurry

I will try to make a simple video guide when I have time.
    • Up x 1
  13. fumz

Sweet, thank you. I'm always looking for ways to improve crispyness.
  14. tigerchips

Yes, I know how to press a button. It's still broken.

I use MSI Afterburner, 720p is all I can manage with that. There might be a bit more quality loss than usual as I use Virtual Dub and WMM to edit and convert the videos.

I'm sure most people don't bother putting it in full screen, they just expand the video. Well, most people in the UK at least (poor broadband).

15. cruczi

Okay, I think we're in business. I took some test recordings at various framerate and resolution settings and ended up with 1080p@29.97fps. That's with Dxtory using Lagarith lossless.

I put a 30 sec test clip on youtube (one of several), encoded to h.264 .mp4 using Adobe Media Encoder, 2 pass VBR at about 15 mbps:

See here for a comparison of before and after Youtube compression: before, after (each about 1.5mb 1080p PNG )

What do you think? Could it be better or is this the best I'm gonna get out of Youtube?

Also, I would record at 1080p 60fps and upload to some other service that allows 60 fps content, but my system can't handle it, at least not with my current hard disk (though I'm not sure if that's the culprit or my CPU). Probably gonna buy a WD Black 3TB soon-ish. I'll need the space anyway, it can only fit about 30 hours of gameplay, and I'm not sure if that's enough...
  16. johnukguy

Looks pretty good to me. If you want to fiddle about a bit more with settings for YouTube, I've found this guide in particular very helpful. It's for Sony Vegas but should be useful for your video editor too. You can also up the colour saturation and/or contrast just a little, along with the sharpness and see if that makes a difference. And keep your bitrate to about 12 Mbps at most as otherwise YouTube will lose too much on the final video to make it worthwhile:
  17. cruczi

Just tried the x264 codec with Dxtory, and I'm sort of tempted to use it. It seems to put less strain on the framerate. Recording Lagarith at 1080p@60fps puts my framerate down to about 45 at the warpgate, while recording x264 only puts it a few frames under 60. Still wouldn't be viable for actual gameplay though. But it should help keep framerate stable when recording at 30 fps, and the file sizes are definitely much smaller (about 200mb per minute at 30fps, down from 1.5gb). I barely notice the difference in quality :eek:, though I don't know yet if editing, reencoding and uploading will have a greater toll on the x264 source file. I wouldn't really want to go lower in quality than what I uploaded above.

Will definitely check out that video.
  18. johnukguy

Record at 30 fps, if by that you mean the actual setting in Dxtory, rather than how many fps you are getting in game. 60 fps would really only be useful if you intend to do a lot of slow motion stuff and there is no real advantage to it in terms of quality.
  19. cruczi

Yes, talking about the actual setting in dxtory.

Of course there is a huge advantage in terms of visual quality because motion smoothness is a part of that. Just not in youtube. I'd be uploading 60 fps content somewhere else.

But it doesn't look like a viable path unless I record at 720p or buy an NVIDIA card.
  20. fumz

Your lagarith vods looks pretty good. Of course using lagarith it would be much better (easier on fps) if you used two or more drives. fps hit lessens as you add drives.

The problem with making really good 60 fps videos is that you literally have nowhere to host them. Daily motion lets you upload 60fps, but they limit you to 500mb, which sort of defeats the purpose. You'd have to up them to a digital locker then just link to them instead as a means of dissemination.