Account level unlock money grab

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by PaladinZERO, Mar 4, 2013.

1. PaladinZERO

When I first saw the account level unlock, I thought they were actually doing something for the players, instead, it is just another money grab. :(

So we thought, hey, unlock the lasher, get the MCG and Jackhammer too! Wow, what a deal.

Nope, just things that are common.

So, unlock the burster, get a burster on all, unlock a Mercy, you still have to pour money into the NC or VS max for it's version there. (Well I'm not.)

In reality this is to get people to spend station cash on items they normally would have certed. Like the Halberd, low cert cost, but hey, buy it now and get it on all three! Camo, but it now, get it on all three!

I guess what we thought of was just too good to be true.
    • Up x 11
  2. SgtScum

Considering you don't really need every weapon in the game unlocked and its free to play to boot then dropping a $20 or two seems pretty cheap especially when the good unlocks are 1000 certs.

Which seems a better purchase? Spending days or even weeks of game time to get those 1000 certs which could be used on class or weapon upgrades that can't be bought with $C or buying one less soda a day for ten days and buying a station cash card?

Yup thats the actual real world cost of two weapons in ps2. Ten 20oz sodas. God what a money grab. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 8
  3. DaninTexas

You don't spend your money. I will continue to supporting a game I love through a full sub and cash to unlock weapons. If SoE wants to do account wide - so be it.

Only thing IMO that should be account wide is camo. But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth if SoE does more then that.
    • Up x 4
  4. PaladinZERO

Except we are not talking about 1 weapon, it's $7.00 a weapon, so $21.00 for all three factions (less if you get cash on bonus days). Now, how many weapons are out there? We thought this was about helping the players, not trying to get people to spend money on things that they would have used certs on. The sad things is, if they did it the other way, they might have seen more money. I don't know that many people who would pay $21.00 for the MCG, Lasher and Jackhammer, but they might have spend $7.00 for all three. Lets see what they do with sniper rifles, as they are carbon copies across all three factions, only the names were changed.
    • Up x 1
  5. SgtScum

Put in context of a pay game. $60 upfront with the normal $20 per addon pack that no one who wants to keep up with the crowd in multiplayer can afford to be without.

Or monthly fees for a subscription game that still has a cash shop.

All in all this is a pretty fair model especially if you are smart about what you unlock.

Like I said drink a few less sodas a month and the money will be there to get the things you really need with $C.

Seriously, add up all the money spent on fast food and sodas and you will probably not believe how much you are spending without even realizing it.
    • Up x 3
  6. PaladinZERO

I am shocked at the amount of money people spend on bling. Hubcaps? Really?

Anyway, I don't know anyone who spends money on alts. I just use mine to get a better understanding of enemy weapons and tactics. As a casual player I won't be spending money on my alts. The lasher looks like it could be fun to use, I am not spending money on it. I would have gotten the MCG if it unlocked the Lasher. See where I am coming from? I will actually spend less money now, (well a lot less but that is a different subject.) as I won't even consider getting the MCG, and I won't get the lasher as I just to jump over to the Vanu every so often to try things out.
  7. SgtScum

So you are cheap. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Also you can trial weapons for 30 minutes to see if you like them. ;)
    • Up x 4
  8. PaperPlanes

With all the complaining about the 4th factioners, I find it funny people would want true account wide unlocks, it would just add to the problem of people faction hopping.
    • Up x 12
  9. Cloaking

Why are so many people defending this idea? It's ridiculous. How many games make you pay a ridiculous price for just ONE weapon, then tell you that you need to buy the same style of weapon 3 times just because it's faction specific? I've never heard of such a thing and it's appalling (and to anyone saying "well it saves paying 1000 certs for a weapon") you do realise that they raised the price of weapons to such a high cost to entice people into thinking they're shaving quite a lot of cert farming and time when they can just buy the weapon.

They're too lazy to code it so the faction specific weapons unlock as part of a tied unlock across all factions, it's much easier for them to make one single common pool weapon unlock across your account, and at the same time they're making even more money from us

When they first mentioned the account level unlocks months ago, everyone was cheering at the thought of their Lasher purchases will also unlock the JH and MCG etc, but they kept it quiet for months that it was only common pool weapons. I'm sure if people had known this during the last 3x SC sale they would have purchased weapons more carefully.

SoE will never change. They're money grabbers and always will be
    • Up x 3
  10. Bullwinkle 01

If you just want to pick a faction and class, you can get by just buying a few items for not much money, and still have a lot of fun. If you just have to have all weapons for all factions and all classes, it's going to really cost you. Working as designed, I don't see a problem here.
    • Up x 7
  11. Flix

How the **** you get this thinkingpath?!...WTF. Its ACCOUNTUNLOCK...not GET SOMETHING FOR FREE. What the actual ****. The intendet aim for that is that you can switch/delete your char and still have yor bought stuff if you make an other /got 2 TR-chars. Whats so hard at understanding this? Which part do you dont get?
  12. SgtScum

What other free to play game lets you buy one item for a specific class or faction then have all similar items unlocked for all classes and factions?

For some reason they think they should be able to buy one weapon and have its counterpart in the other factions unlocked too.

It's like going to dennys and buying two eggs over easy then expecting the bacon and toast to be free.
    • Up x 4
  13. NC_agent00kevin

Its easy to have your unlocks account wide:

Just have some loyaly to one faction. Its that simple.
    • Up x 11
  14. Darwind

Are you mad that they increased the value of your purchases without changing the price? And then you claim its a money grab? I'm confused.
    • Up x 9
  15. shadowkhat

SOE better hope i don't spend what i spend on soda's and fast food in a year on them... they'll go broke, seriously that **** is bad for you lol...

account level unlocks from what i have read are going to be exactly what i was expecting ... faction and common only, no real surprise there. i wasn't expecting to be able to unlock the mercy on my one TR guy and automatacly get the hacksaws on my NC, but i would like to see some "class" of weapons be common pool evenif there is faction specifics like SMG"s pump shotty... not sure if those are considered common or not, i'm just hoping.

what i would rather see them do is something for the metagame so theres actually a point, there are far better and far more balanced games out there for just running around and shooting people.... bring back base locks, right now seems like 90% of the fights are on indar, in one of 3 places, crown-allatum-rashnu seriously .... people are forcing the game to be like COD whats the point of having 3 continents if everyone is going to fight in an area the size of one 32-64 person map.

base lock was removed because there was one continent and only so many bases.... now there are 3 continents and tons of bases, bring back the 1 hour base locks. give a reason to fight elsewhere, fix the resources... make them matter instead of 30 sunderers used as sacrifices to get one sunderer in... dont get me wrong i love the free 500+ exp each for killing them but its kind of ******** a main base assault consists of nothing but 1/12 sunderers that never fire jsut charge.
  16. Flix

Indeed. But hey...normal ppl-behaviour..WANT MOAR NOW!!!
  17. Cloaking

So basically we're being sold 1/3 of the game and have to pay up 3 times for a mirrored version of the same weapon.. An MCG unlock should unlock the JH and the Lasher, buying things for one faction already costs a lot, they cant expect anyone who wants to explore more than just 1/3 of the game to buy the same stuff three times..

I bought 2x Mercy for my Max, but it's not faction specific, so I have to buy 2 more weapons for each of my max's on the other 2 factions?

And this talk of faction loyalty is BS. I play TR and won't be switching but I wouldn't hold it against anyone who would like to play all 3 because they offer different play styles.

Either make the prices of things 1/3 the cost (which is already a fair price considering they're just single guns which only offer slight stat differences, and in many cases even look the bloody same. or make the one gun unlock with it's mirrored counterparts.
    • Up x 3
  18. Garantine

This is one person they definitely have hooked.
  19. Tnsr

Well, I know f2p games that have fair prices and you could get 3 items for the price of one PS2 item. Easy as that.
    • Up x 1
  20. SgtScum

Then eat one less expensive dinner per month. Or slightly cut back on some other daily luxury that adds up to hundreds or even more dollars a month.

Nope. Haven't bought an EA game since I got MW1 for $4.99 on steam or any other true money grab title.

Name them.