Account banned less than 300,000 XP from BR 100

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MykeMichail, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamonize

This is scary though. They get banned and they try to inquire why with new accounts and they get banned as well. That's not fair. SOE should be able to pinpoint the offense, what, when, how etc.

And BR has something to do with it!! (looking at the perspective of someone who needs to work or study. time is money!!)
  2. maxkeiser

This thread needs to be locked.

The only people who know whether he was hacking are SOE and the accused himself. The rest of the thread is just pointless speculation.
  3. MarkedBullet

Didn't have one call mykemichailTR, mikemichail or something like that? If not probably a troll then.
  4. PaidToWin

Except that SOE might not really know, and could be banning people arbitrarily. Even for actual hackers, banning without clear visual proof of the act in progress might necessitate the use of extremely intrusive, and maybe even downright illegal, software. It's pretty easy for someone who knows what he's doing to hide running processes to such an extent that whoever wants to know what's actually going on would need root-level access to his computer, unless the hacking is done server-side. Is Sony rootkitting our computers? No? Well then they can't really know, can they? They can only ban for obvious visual hacking (aimbots aren't hard to spot), or for different legitimate programs that run on normal players' computers.

Which one is it?

And to top it off, they don't tell the ban recipient, or anyone else for that matter, what the cause of the ban was. So Joe McRandom gets the boot because of his Razer mouse drivers, and can't even know the reason, or attempt to prove his innocence. Is this a just system? No, it's not; it's barbaric, and reminds me of the Salem witch trials.
    • Up x 2
  5. Phrygen

sadly its these threads that garner attention for one of the higher ups like smed or higby to request a more in depth investigation. Seems like the only way to do it. the actual GMs you speak to through e-mail or messages end up just giving players the run around with pre-scripted responses. thats just what i have seen.
  6. TheFullCologne

so its common.

hes doing checks now and we think it might be the Norton antivirus that blocked some features of ps2. try do the same.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/1hmuff/so_i_just_got_banned_from_planetside_2/
  7. Badname2490

Judging SOE's track record...they're stupid.

3rd Party Programs doesn't mean hacks...it can mean just about anything...a mouse driver...hell wasn't an FX program considered ban able for "3rd party". Trust me...these idiots have zero idea of what they're doing they can't even figure out their *** from their elbow.

Be happy you got banned...go play better games.
  8. Izriul

It's common? What, banning innocent people, or banning people who claim innocence?

These types of threads SHOULD be locked. I don't know for sure if the OP hacked, but if he was innocent, I would have thought SoE would have unbanned him by now. However, these threads attract guilty hackers who can try and hide behind the same argument, "Hey! what's that you say? it's because of [XXX] reason?! I use [XXX] too! I'm innocent!"

So, so far, we've had "it's the mouse!" and now you think it's "Norton"? I use 360, it's fine.
  9. TheArchetype

That would be pretty depressing.
  10. Garbageman

Sony doesn't provide the information on what unallowed software they detected because they don't want the makers of cheat software to know if their software is being detected or not, or if so how.

There are lots of different kinds of things one might lump into the category of 'hacks'. My own sense of the word is that it should apply to cheat software that changes the game executable, replacing selected instructions with hooks into the cheat software, in the same manner as a debugger. This might be done statically, by patching a file on the file system. Or it might be done dynamically, changing the contents of a memory location after the game is running.

There are other ways to cheat that don't involve changing the game at all. For example, in the old days a speed cheat might work by changing the clock frequency of the CPU. It used to happen accidentally back in the days of PCs running MS-DOS, when the machines were normally clocked at the rate of the original IBM PC, namely 4.77 MHz (yes, you read right, 500-700 times slower than today) for compatibility, but had a turbo button to go to 20 MHz or whatever. The developers of the first games made invalid assuptions about how long it would take to execute an instruction and just ran a loop X times for timing instead of checking a real-time clock. When machines with higher clockrates became the norm, the next thing game developers tried was performing some timing tests during the game installation and putting the results in a game initialization file. It didn't take long for players to figure out how to edit those files.

The latest tricks also don't involve touching the game. Furthermore, in order to avoid detection, they are not even stored on the computer. They get loaded directly into memory via a web browser before the game is started and hook the game when it is being loaded, even before the game starts running.The cheats analyse in real-time the contents of the buffers in the 3-D graphics cards to determine where objects (opponents) are in the game.

It's a virtual war between the game developers and the cheat software developers. Just like in a real war, if you break the enemy's code, you don't want them to know you've broken their code. Think WWII and the German Enigma machine and the British code-breakers at Bletchly Park, among them Alan Turing. You want to decipher the enemy communications, but acting on what you find out could give you away. If every German submarine whose orders were deciphered had been intercepted by a destroyer, the Germans might have noticed and switched their code to something better.

In the case of game developers, it is not just one enemy, i.e. not just one cheat software maker. There are amateurs making relatively simple hacks for fun. There are also companies doing it professionally, making very full-featured software with dozens of options in order to disguise the cheating.

Assume that there is more than one such company, i.e. multiple cheat software sellers competing with each other, as well as trying to defeat any detection by the game manufacturers.

If Sony says, we caught you using XYZ software, then company XYZ knows that they have to change their product and right quick. If Sony doesn't say, and someone at XYZ software happens across a forum post about someone being banned, but who knows why, then they might think that it was some competitor's software that was detected. Or maybe a mouse driver. Who knows?

That's why you're never going to be told the exact reason why. So the best policy is simply to avoid anything which fiddles with your graphics in any way.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheFullCologne

i know. and calling them costs 2$ a minute..
  12. ironeddie

If I ever get banned without having done something to deserve it. I shall stop playing ps2. Never play another soe game or buy a Sony product.
  13. Izriul

Yes, they create another account on a subject SoE already answered. He got an email detailing exactly why he got banned, which is more than what most get. Again, I don't know if he hacked or not, but image the process SoE has to go through with all the hackers they ban, I guarantee 99% of them will claim innocence, kick up a storm, blame everyone else but themselves, and only when they've exhausted all means of trying to state they are guilt free, they turn to apologising and saying that their truly sorry and they promise it won't happen again...etc etc etc. I can see exactly why SoE ban the next account, and the next one and the one after that, why should they have to go through the process repeating themselves over and over and over to a hacker?

So really, who should you be blaming here? SoE or the hackers in general? Hackers are ruining many peoples enjoyment, which in turn cost SoE money, and more importantly are taking up GM's time, first by having to be checked out a lot of the time, then having their account dealt with, and now you think they should all be giving first class treatment and spend their time "pinpointing" everything under the sun. What about the legitimate people who have REAL issues? The one's who DIDN'T shoot themselves in the foot? who DO deserve having time spent on them?

Yes, innocent people get false bans sometimes, but that is only sometimes, it is actually very rare except for occasions where they screw up somewhere and mass ban a bunch of people - who get unbanned without doing anything anyway.

It doesn't matter if the guy in question is that one innocent one out of a hundred, because all hackers claim their innocence anyway, and will just suck up every resource into dealing with them when the GM's have far better things to do. A hacker should never ever get a second chance, let alone waste time with support tickets back and forth. It sucks a lot for the innocent ones, it really does, but only SoE can see who is and isn't, let them deal with it. Hell, the OP's already made this thread, and one somewhere else, he's obviously got his outfit making posts for him, and likely whinging to SoE too, which actually, would only make things HARDER for SoE to deal with, and waste yet more of their time.

And no, BR has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. A hacker who is BR 100 should get treated the same as a BR1 - if not worse, since they could have possibly been hacking most of that ruining so many peoples enjoyment.
  14. DG-MOD-02

Please contact Account Support for more information and assistance. Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.