[Suggestion] AA MBTS:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Serialkillerwhale, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Serialkillerwhale

The skies are more crowded than ever.

We have exactly 3 viable AA options, the overly expensive burster MAX, the Skyguard which doesn't have the durability to stand to rocket pods or belly guns, and the easy to take out, impossible to bring back online AA Turret.

We need more.

Empire-specific, highly powerful, GENUINE NO FLY ZONES.

Lets see.

TR: P3-30MM 4 Chain guns mounted on the Prowler's turret. Can turn 360 Degrees while deployed.
    NC: Goliath 60MM Canister: Full-auto (500RPM) Shotty firing AA rounds at extreme speed.
    VS: Supernova IPA: Rapid-fire Plasma cannon firing ionized plasma, which sends arcs of lightning towards nearby aircraft.
  2. NC_agent00kevin

Shameless plug

Air isnt really a big deal. I hate getting killed by ESFs but only the really good ones can do it without eating an AP Shell.
    • Up x 8
  3. MarkAntony

F you. No more effing shotguns for NC. ****. Seriously f off.
    • Up x 5
  4. ColonelChingles

Putting AA weapons on MBT hulls wouldn't be unusual. The German Gepard uses a Leopard I chassis, which is an older model MBT:

[IMG]

Same with the Japanese Type 87, which uses the Type 74 MBT chassis:

[IMG]

The Polish Loara is built on the hull of a T-72 MBT:

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  5. Liberty

I'd love for MBT's to get an AA primary with the stipulation being it has nowhere near the effective range of the skyguard or even the walker.
    • Up x 1
  6. Juno

Agreed, no more shotguns please.

Gives us a big ol' German inspired Flak 88. We are the NC so give us some big power shots, the German's World War 2 Flak 88 is a perfect example of a slow but hard hitting AA gun.
    • Up x 3
  7. Liberty

I'm a huge fan of running my AP lightning to snipe air as well, it can be a lot of fun. Tonight I was pretty bummed to find out Valks can soak *three* AP rounds and keep on chugging. They may melt to everything else including any source of flak or a decimator plus some small arms fire.

On the bright side, as sluggish at they are they seem easier to hit than liberators and since everyone enjoys shooting anything at them usually 1 or 2 rounds will do the trick. (Being juicy cert piñata's with upwards of 6 passengers is just sexy)
    • Up x 2
  8. STR1D3R109

You could always go AP in a prowler, or just stick a walker/ranger on your roof haha
  9. NC_agent00kevin

The best is when they swoop in and hover or move slowly, thinking they just found an easy handful of certs rolling along on clanky treads.

Especially when they are at full HP but arent running Fire Supression and you jump out with a battle rifle to finish the job :)
  10. Serialkillerwhale

To be honest, I was largely trying to avoid having two guns largely the same, and the splashy one went to the Vanu.

I knew that shotguns wouldn't go over well, but think about it. A 0.3-0.5 choked Auto shotty firing what's basically G30 rounds would be pretty neat. I'm not asking for it to be inaccurate or slow-firing. 5 pellets per shot 500 RPM (2500 Effective RPM) is roughly 100 RPM over 4 G30 Walkers (600 RPM) which was the basis for the TR quad-linked G30 idea.

As for TR fans about to scream this is gonna make the NC one better, remember, YOU HAVE THE FRICKING DEPLOY BUTTON.
  11. Matt879

Please no... The flak spam is already bad enough as it is, not to even mention the extreme-velocity walkers now... No more ******* AA.
    • Up x 1
  12. Pelojian

If they want to make some AA for MBTs it should be true AA tank. primary slot for a skyguard like gun and an secondary missile launcher controlled by the driver (replaces gunner weapon).

maingun for close range fighting, missiles for mid range fighting.

vehicles get wrecked easily by air unless in large numbers. a dedicated AA MBT should have more teeth then a skyguard.
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

i dont think we need empire-specific AA turrets for MBTs.

rather, i'd like to see a skyguard 2.0 weapon system with more effective empire-specific primaries (chaingun for TR, explosive autocannon for NC, lancer-type weapon for VS) and at least four surface-to-air lock-on missiles as a secondary weapon to better deal with aircraft far away
  14. WUNDER8AR

Stop fooling yourself 1000 certs for a burster arm or skyguard is nothing these days. Why do we need more AA anyways? Ground AA is absolutely fine right now. You guys should fly an ESF for a change.
  15. Tuco

...which is exactly what is needed for long range anti-aircraft needs. A soft target, large profile, high velocity, very slow ROF, very slow turret traverse speed, fixed in one position engineer deployable that anyone can hop into. And having a few armor piercing rounds for very long anti-tank works wouldn't hurt too.
  16. LaRZy

Twin burster max is more effective than skyguard, which is wrong imo, also the walker sucks, buff the walker it's supposed to be good at AA but it just tickles the sky. They might be good when there's two of em on a sundy, but just one on a MBT seems like a waste of a secondary. Buff the walker on the MBT variant to have damage falloff of 95 instead of 85.

That way all empires get a bit of walker love on their ES MBT.
  17. jiggu

WE DO NOT NEED MORE ANTI AIR
    seriously

Putting the chaingun base turret on the prowler would be pretty cool though
  18. swisscowboy

We dont need more AA. Skyguards are fine. At least, you only need 2 guys with lockons to clear the air.
  19. MajiinBuu

AA is fine right now.
  20. lothbrook

They really just need to make the MBT AA secondaries worth equipping when not solo, as they're not good enough to justify someone constantly manning it.
    • Up x 2