[Suggestion] A thought I had about the infiltrator....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Nephi1im, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Nephi1im

So, up until recently, I had mostly played with BASRs as an infiltrator with a bit of SMG play. I decided to go almost exclusively, assuming it's not a terrible situation for it, SMG infiltrator and I noticed something....

If/when you run out of darts, it is TERRIBLE. Obviously, with less armor and less firepower (aside from sticking your barrel up someones nose), you're at a bit of a disadvantage without the situational awareness of having a dart blinking. There are terminals/sunderers to be sure, but it seems like the SMG infiltrator is best suited to the 1-24 size fights since enough eyes and bullets tend to create a critical mass of "no way to sneak anywhere". When assaulting a base, this is much more of an issue since A) if there is a sunderer, it may be 200-300 meters away from the heart of a base and B) there are few terminals to hack(supposedly they are fixing this) and it's risky more often than not.

My suggestion is to change the dart gun to have unlimited ammo, but a long cooldown. Each rank would lower the cooldown and increase the pulse/size of the pulse etc. So, essentially you might start with a 30 second wait between darts, and it goes down to 10 at max level. I always see people complain (for good reason in my experience) that infitrators don't use their "team" ability much if at all, and this seems like a good way to encourage it or at least get the guys who do use it to be able to on long pushes where they're far from a terminal.

It would put it more in line with the unlimited engineer and medic gun, and generally make the infiltrator more team friendly. As it stands now, until the thing is level 3-4, it's gone pretty quickly, and becomes useless.
    • Up x 1
  2. KAHR-Alpha

Only crappy players don't use their darts properly.

Anyway, no, they're fine as they are. Your idea is actually nerfing teamplay as in a proper squad ammo resupplying is not an issue, while being able to shot all your darts quickly might be critical. All you're doing is cattering to lone wolves.
    • Up x 1
  3. Typhoeus

Noppppppppe. Learn to use the enemies ammo boxes on top of the other methods you mentioned. And perhaps be more conservative with how often you use them if you know you aren't going to be able to resupply for a while. I've got mine maxed out and I'm always using them, yet never going long without. That's whether I'm defending (easy to resupply) or deep behind enemy lines (a bit trickier but just use their own ammo boxes really).
    • Up x 2
  4. Spectre 694

The devs plan to reintroduce some infantry terminals to bases so there should be no problems.
  5. Nephi1im

I understand that it would be a slight nerf with the inability to spam 5 darts in 5 seconds, but I disagree on team play. If anything, it would make having more than 1 infiltrator worth something from time to time. Also, if a squad or platoon has a couple of infiltrators, they generally aren't, in my experience hanging out with the group in the sense of being able to grab ammo. They are outside, watching objectives/gennys bebopping around to see incoming vehicles etc.
  6. Nephi1im

In my experience, when you're attacking a base with a smaller force, against a smaller force, there don't tend to be a lot of enemy ammo boxes laying around. It's just a suggestion since, again in my experience, a CQC infiltrator becomes cert bait when they run out of darts.
  7. NinjaTurtle

A better suggestion would be too add terminals back tot he bases so you can hack them and resupply.

Something I am grateful to say they are adding back
  8. Nephi1im

No doubt. This will go a long way, but unless they change the "OH LOOK A RED TERMINAL LULZ" aspect along with the blinking thing, it will be a tough choice many times. At least with darts giving you away in a sense, you can use them to bait opponents elsewhere, and fire them 100 meters away.
  9. kadney

Mine: take away that smgs.
  10. Nephi1im

Now, I don't have like years of experience with this whole thing, but I rarely see a lot of SMG infiltrating going on in an effective manner. Having played one for several hours now, I can say that there is a very steep learning curve. Even when you do get the hang of it, it is by no means a 20 killstreak proposition (yes, I'm sure there are some epic SMG infiltrators, but that goes with any class).

I feel like most of the hate comes from people who are probably killed by some dude with a 2/1 K/D or less (sometimes vastly less) and they just got unlucky to give him a kill. Sure, it isn't fun to be shot in the back of the head while you're half AFK checking the map, but if there were nothing but heavys/medics/engis, this game would have very little depth.