A Farewell to (Mattocks) Arms - Road To Auraxium

Discussion in 'MAX' started by WaaWaa, Feb 9, 2014.

1. WaaWaa

I Finished the Mattocks Auraxiums! In this video I discuss the return of the Recursion Stat Tracker, I show highlight footage of the Mattocks in all their glory with several pan and zoom slow motions shots where you can see the true effective range of the Mattocks.

For those claiming no difference between Mattocks vs. Scattercannnons, there is a noticeable difference, not a vast one. I believe the Scattercannons are more "middle ground" arms, while the Mattocks do really good damage at long ranges. They all do really well up close.

I further discuss nuances between using Melee vs. Shooting to abort the charge cycle.

I'm trying to be more creative with my videos and add some humor, so please comment on any improvements from my previous videos.

I also discuss my use of ShadowPlay in most of the Mattocks highlight footage, and I welcome any suggestions/comments about how to prevent crashes after alt+tabbing, or if anyone uses other programs that function similarly to ShadowPlay. Also comment on any improvements of the video quality, as well as suggestions to do video editting different if something did not work.

My intros/outro talking are not scripted, and I don't know if viewers want them or not. Until I hear otherwise, I'll keep doing them and write down my thoughts beforehand so it flows more easily. Thanks to SN46 for this suggestion.

Thank you for viewing if you did and thumbs up, like, etc... if you did enjoy it!

Edit: Forgot to mention that our outfit TENC has officially picked up Shatter Camo w/ the Tactical Cap as our new outfit attire. Other NC are doing the same, and it's very hilarious. Thanks to Frodug for pickin up on that one hours before it came out.
  2. kadney

Interesting watch, good to see that you removed the annoying scrolling text. :D
    But somehow there is a lot of swoosh in the background. :/
    Congrats for hitting auraxium with them tought. I wonder why the TR didn't use any kind of explosives against you. I don't see a single brick of C4 or any Rocketlauncher there. o_O Lucky you, I wish I would face such people.:D
  3. WaaWaa

Thanks.

Scrolling text was gone is because I took the footage from ShadowPlay, not my stream which has all that text stuff. Thanks for commenting on it.

Also, I get hit by a lot of C4/Rocket launchers all the time. In fact, it's the only thing that'll kill me indoors. I usually am ok avoiding most of them, but it does happen.

Can you be specific about the "swoosh in the background" comment?
  4. Phukkitt

I couldn't really tell from the video (partially because of it only being 720p), but it looks like you were using slugs, and AFAIK if you use slugs then it doesn't matter whether you use Mattocks or Scattercannons since they both have the same accuracy, RoF etc. and slugs always does the same damage across all weapons no matter the weapons original damage.
    If you don't use slugs though, then the Mattocks are worse up close but far better at midrange than other Max shotguns.

About the video: Why the one minute wub wub music video in the beginning? You'd expect something like that to last for a few seconds, but it felt like it just went on and on, nearly stopped watching right there just because of that. Then the loooooong intro with just you talking, and like you said it felt very unscripted and was very boring. Tip: if the talking about what software you are using etc. is mainly for your subscribers, how about making that into a separate video kinda like how wrel does with his weekly update videos? Not saying you should do it weekly but maybe keep that content separate from anyone who just came to see some gameplay, if not separate videos then maybe save it for the end/outro to keep the intro short.

About the swoosh that kadney mentioned, I would guess he/she means the background noise/static when you talk in the intro/outro, if you're using some sort of microphone boost then that could be the cause.
    • Up x 1
  5. kadney

The audio track with your voice that you put over the video (while you talk) contains some acoustic noise from your microphone. :)
    I hope you understand what I mean. :)

Exactly. ;)
  6. Epic High Five

Love it, Mattocks rule! Advice from the point of view of a listener would be to nix the talking over a logo part. Audience will be much more engaged if you keep some footage playing in the background, even if it's just ho-hum kill streaks or doing weird stuff. People watch a video like this to learn something about the Mattocks, so it's a good idea to use as many visual aids as possible :)

Make more use of the info box for the video - technical stuff like the stat tracker and shadowplay and the nuances of recording are well utilized there because there's a big chunk of people out there who are turned off by tech chat. Maybe link the stat tracker and put the first comment as something along the lines of "Hey! Ran into these problems while recording, anybody got some advice on how to fix this?" so you can still improve the technical execution of your videos.

Action from start to finish is the key. Even if something is on the screen, action must be playing behind it. Gamers are a famously ADD lot and it pays to oh man I forgot I had a pie in the oven and my car is running
    • Up x 1
  7. WaaWaa

Yea I will take all that in thanks.

Also, I think IGrowWearyOfthisWorld can help me out since he's the one that brought this up, between the Mattocks and the Scattercannons, there is a spread difference (accuracy at range) that is noticeable when using slugs.
  8. WaaWaa

Yea, I think I probably overdid it on the talking and non-essential gameplay vids. Oh well I'll cut it down or completely remove it next time. Thanks for the Advice. Also, can you address the claim above us that says no difference between Mattock vs. Scattercannons because I do believe reading you saying that Mattocks had less spread (more accurate at range) than all the other MAX's.

Also from the meat of the video (the "highlights"), did you have any kill streaks that stood out? I think the one at Allatum bio when my video/audio got jumbled on Shadowplay was the most carnage I've ever dealt in a MAX. Was very fuN!
  9. WaaWaa

Yes I know understand your meaning, and I will definitely track down why this is happening.
    • Up x 1
  10. Epic High Five

Oh, they do. That's released data from SOE and their spread is identical to the Jackhammer. The Scatters spread are identical to the Mauler, and the difference between the Jackhammer and Mauler is abundantly clear.

The waters get muddier with slugs, though, because only two things are known FOR SURE about them - they do 500 damage maximum, and 320 minimum. We don't even know what ranges the dropoff starts and ends. We don't know what stats tinker with how accurate they are. We don't know if buckshot stats have any relevance at all or if everything is extrapolated from a gun's buckshot performance and then superimposed onto the slugs. Hell we don't even know if the slugs ACTUALLY perform differently from weapon to weapon. The Mattocks FEEL like they perform better than the Grinders/Skillsaws, but there's nothing we can point to and say "well here is proof it isn't just confirmation bias"

The #SLUGLYFE crowd is kind of groping about in the dark here, trying to find something that makes sense. Psykmoe is a contemplative sort and has used both Mattocks and Scatters, and he thinks they perform identically with slugs, so he found how they're identical and it made sense (MAXes are balanced around hipfiring afterall) so he compared it to the performance of the other hipfire stats of the other arms and it seemed to line up. We just don't KNOW it's true, and probably can't ever because of the random nature of slugs even in controlled environments.

Okay, well we also know they freaking rule. That's three facts.
  11. WaaWaa

I just started using Dual Scattercannons with ext. mags and slugs after a year of not ever playing with them, and I have to say I like them. They just don't feel specialized. I just finished the Mattocks auraxiums, and I swear there is something I can't pin down that makes me prefer them to the Scattercannons when I'm sniping someone from +15 meters. It just feels like it's more accurate.

Maybe the Mattocks has less kick than the Scattercannons, I don't know. I do prefer them for range sniping.
  12. WaaWaa

To all other commenters, can you please check this thread in a few days. I'm going to redo this video with some of the comments you made and remake it.

Tell me if you liked it better!
  13. Phukkitt

I actually looked into it some more and noted that Mattocks have a higher velocity than Scats (400 vs 300 m/s) so that should be why they feel better, that also goes along with a comment I read that said slugs have less drop with Mattocks, so actually it turns out that Mattocks are the better choice.

The spreadsheet says this about slugs:
    "Slug Ammunition - Makes the shotgun shoot only 1 high damage slug instead of several pellets. All faction semi-auto and full autos damage: 500 @ 10m - 360 @ 40m. All factions pump action damage: 800 @ 10m - 400 @ 40m."

And since we know that the damage and spread values are identical between the normal and Max shotguns like this:
    Mattock - Jackhammer
    Scattercannon - Mauler
    Grinder - Sweeper
    Hacksaw - Piston

...I'd assume that they carry over the same damage values in the slugs as well, so 500 @ 10m - 360 @ 40m should be what applies to all Max shotguns.
    This should be fairly easy to verify either in VR or with a friend, as well as bullet velocity since you can measure the time it takes for the bullets to reach their target.

Also, here's a quickie I posted in another thread about why slugs can be better in some situations, thought you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it already. :)

(I forgot to zoom in during the slomo so you might want to go fullscreen 1080p to see what I'm shooting at)
  14. Epic High Five

I
    I hadn't seen that before, though I recall SOE mentioning the minimum damage was being dropped to 320 some patch awhile ago so who knows.

That the damage dropoff is so generous makes perfect sense though, based on my usage with them. It's always been extremely rewarding to taking the time to land your shots and a gentle damage curve that starts out really high (instakill if both slugs hit >10m) really supports that.

Also, the Mattocks superior velocity (it's not just 100m/s, it's a 33% increase) COULD be the main thing that makes them feel better than the Scatters, but personally I agree with WaaWaa here and I think the Mattocks actually are a more accurate arm to slug with.

Any plans to aurax the Falcons, aka AV slugs? :D
  15. Epic High Five

Totes, I'll see it in my feed when you upload it and I'll let ya know how it looks. Remember: everything is made better by adding even more video of solid gold robot men with shotgun arms shredding fascists and xenophiles!
  16. Phukkitt

Yeah, it's entirely possible that the guy who maintains the spreadsheet missed that patch note. Still good damage though, just that they went from a 3-slug kill at range to 4. Shouldn't affect Maxes as long as they land their shots, since they fire 2 shot at a time anyways.
    (I just loooooove taking out people with slugs when they expect me to be using buckshot Hacksaws and think they will survive as long as they keep their distance) :D

I still disagree on the accuracy though, since I don't think spread values affect the accuracy for slugs and they both have the same CoF values, but it is of course easier to land shots with that superior velocity since you have to compensate less for bullet drop and lead your target less. Shame that there are no official numbers on this since testing accuracy would be a PITA... :(
  17. WaaWaa

Yea I will add some more footage from my last runs before I got Mattocks Auraxium on the other arm fo sho.

And yes I believe I will Auraxium the Falcons because everyone including you is saying they are really good.
  18. WaaWaa

Here is the remake of the video I posted in the OP! Hope you enjoy it. Comments welcome on either the quality, video-editing, and content of the video.

Thanks ahead of time really appreciated your earlier comments.

19. WaaWaa

Things I improved in this video (at least imo):
    -1080p instead of 780
    -Used Captions instead of my voice in the intro

Things I think I need to improve on (or correct me if I'm wrong):
    -Length
    -Stream Quality
    -Keep background music or make 1 or 2 tracks for the whole video while fading out the music recorded with ShadowPlay
    -More uncut streaks or tighter editting
  20. Phukkitt

Personally I like this new video better. :)

Mic static is still there but way lower than before, so that's good. I really only have two things in the video that I disliked, one is very very minor. First, the video gets very choppy a few times, like at 05:45. I'm gonna guess that it's just the recording that got messed up? (Since you seem to be playing fine and it was the same in the previous video). Second, and this is really very minor and more just one of my own pet peeves, is the squished up TENC-logo when you list your loadout and at the outro. I have a hard time with stuff that is not in it's correct proportion, kinda like watching an old 4:3 clip on a widescreen monitor... :p

EDIT: Captions were a great idea and 1080p is always better than 720p. Length wasn't really a bother since it was enjoyable to watch. Stream quality was indeed worse but not a big issue, but if improvement is possible then go for it. Music got cut weird at only a few points, but mostly it wasn't an issue and it was actually nice to have so much variation.
    • Up x 1