A bit about Spotting

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by andy_m, Sep 10, 2014.

1. andy_m

Hi Peeps,

This is for the new players really, and a few "incidents" over the last week or so made me think I should share.

Quite a few times now, while out and about in my MAX suit, I've been Spotted.

Generally, that's fine, but on these occasions it has lead pretty much to the demise of the spotter without helping their team.

Sometimes there isn't a team as such. I was at a small outpost last night. Might have been four of us and four of them. I was spotted by an infiltrator that was using stealth cloak. I looked in the direction of the call out and saw him. The end result was his death, with no one around to help.

Then in a Biolab, we were defending. The enemy had two teleporters active and they were also using two landing pads to gain access to the Biolab. There were times when it was quite busy, although never more than 24 on each side (small for a Biolab fight I know). Then, during a lul in the fighting, a guy spotted me, and it was quite close.

I turned and saw the guy hinding behind a barrier. He spotted me again and I immediately thought that he was luring me into a C-4 trap. I quickly looked around and couldn't see anything. Seconds had gone by and he was still there, so I wandered up and shot him in the head. Again, he was calling out to no one but himself, and I'm really not sure why.

So, for the new peeps, you really have to be careful when Spotting the enemy. If it gives your position away, without any help to the team, then you have probably waisted your time. If it's essential to relay info to your squad that a MAX is heading for a cap point then you are better using /squadsay (at worse) or squad comms (or some other similar 3P software if you are in an organised Outfit).

If you are doing it to bait peeps, then that is fine, of course.

Okay, that's all I have to say really.

TL:DR Think very carefully before you spot an enemy, it doesn't always pay to do so.
    • Up x 1
  2. RHINO_Mk.II

It's always amusing to hear a bush yell "Enemy heavy spotted" and proceed to empty a magazine of Gauss SAW into it.
    • Up x 1
  3. Xasapis

Spotting a few positive and negative effects.
    Positive:
    • It alerts allies of your presence
    • It puts you on the minimap for a while
    • It puts the dorito above your head and makes aiming at night conditions easier
    Negative:
    • Can be heard by enemies, alerting them to your presence
    Basically, it's up to the player to decide whether the positive outweighs the negative. If stealth is important, then spotting hinders it. In fact, it's one of the best ways to alert the enemy of your presence, even if you think you're safe with your stalker cloak.
  4. \m/SLAYER\m/

i found a lot of screaming stalkers:D
    • Up x 1
  5. Rtwpygbzstpqacihfd

Enemy heav.. eer ahaha ooaah
    • Up x 1