7 months have passed. The game STILL crashes upon exit...

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Hyperz, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Hyperz

How hard can it be to make the game exit without crashing? Seriously. This bug has been in there from the very start of the closed beta and it's still in the 7 months down the line. It's annoying and downright incompetent. Fix it, please.
    • Up x 2
  2. TheTalnoy

Well this may or may not help you but the same thing happened to me ever since release and the solution for me was to either follow this guide and open the ports http://www.directorated.com/voip-fix/ (i was looking for a voip fix at the time) or set my router to DMZ which is what i currently have to do if i want voice to work ever since the patch, for some reason that stops the crashing on exit for me, hope it helps (i would recommend the dmz first so you dont have to screw around with ports needlessly)
    • Up x 1
  3. Hyperz

Thanks for your reply but I have no problems with ingame VOIP and everything is working properly port-wise. Furthermore, a closed port should not crash an application. 2 of my friends also experience this problem and have been for months. The problem is not on our end.
  4. TheTalnoy

Im not saying you have voip problems im just telling you what fixed the crash on exit bug for me and the few other people ive told, i can replicate the issue now by turning off DMZ the game will crash when i try to exit it 100% of the time and usually take me to a G error , turn DMZ on and the game wont crash on exit so while i agree a port "shouldnt" cause the problem of crashing on exit unless DMZ is doing something im not fully aware of that is what causes the problem for me, sokay tho you dont have to try it just thought if you have not tried that it would be worth a shot since it isnt a long involved process
  5. Hyperz

I know, and I appreciate the help :). But I'm not going to mess with the router to work around a 7 months old bug. I would rather see it fixed in the client.
    • Up x 3
  6. QRLegion

Well there are many bugs in a game this complex, and I have had quite a few, but that's not one I've ever seen.

I play in an outfit with at least 20 active players and I've never heard them mention that problem.

I have been playing since beta. So maybe it's a certain combination of hardware/software/drivers on your PC that makes this happen.....
  7. Athanasius

FWIW I have the crash-on-exit. I use Comodo Personal FireWall, and have taken care to open all ports PS2.exe (and related programs) ever ask for. For VOIP this entailed opening up a couple of IP ranges for VIVOX (the 3rd-party VOIP provider PS2 uses) for all ports. Comodo PFW no longer logs any blocks (I have it set to ASK and LOG anything not matched by the Allow rules, and I check the log every few days).

My home network setup is such that my games machine has a real external IP with no filtering other than that done by Comodo PFW. No DMZ, no NAT, no packet fiddling at all.

So, I'd wager there may be multiple causes of the crash-on-exit, with (it seems) at least one being 'fixed' by sorting out your network, but there's at least one other that has nothing to do with that.

Edit: Oh, one thing I do wonder, when the game crashes in this way, Windows 7 64 bit reports it's stopped responding and I get the Close/Wait dialogue, does the game's crash reporter still run so SOE is getting data about it ?
  8. BenYeeHua

I think no, as the "never" work crash report don't upload it, and It has 3xx MB per report.
    And sometimes It crash on exit(It fixed itself, until I update my graphic card driver), I found difference dll crashing or just PlanetSide2.exe
  9. Athanasius

Further FWIW, the Additional Information on the crash when I just exit'd was:

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:APPCRASH
      Application Name:PlanetSide2.exe
      Application Version:0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:511bfeca
      Fault Module Name:PlanetSide2.exe
      Fault Module Version:0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:511bfeca
      Exception Code:c0000005
      Exception Offset:007ed9f0
      OS Version:6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
      Locale ID:2057
      Additional Information 1:0a9e
      Additional Information 2:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
      Additional Information 3:0a9e
      Additional Information 4:0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  10. THUGGERNAUT

crash on exit happens daily for many people, even after short (30 minutes or less) sessions. god knows what causes it or if it will ever get fixed, but it is a common problem.
  11. Azzer

It's always crashed on exit for me, every time, regardless.

It's a silly bug that SHOULD be fixed, but I'd rather it crash on exit than on shooting people :p
    • Up x 4
  12. Tatwi

I dunno, it's part of its charm now and I would almost be sad if they fixed it. Almost.
    • Up x 3
  13. Deladin

This has been the SOP for PS2 since I was in closed beta. Many of the most obvious bugs that a vast majority of players experience, like the jet pack bug, the med kit bug, the falling through world when pulling a tank from warpgate bug, and many others, have been reported over and over and over since closed beta, and even months after release some are still in the game, other were just recently fixed.

But you find not shortage of "bug" fixes in the patch notes that fixed bugs that most players never even knew about. Guess when SOE spends 90% of their time putting in yet more weapons and making balance changes no one wanted, they have little time but to clear out a few of the easier bugs just to fluff the patch notes.
  14. MadRon101

Yeah and every time I exit the game not only does it crash but it removes my headphones and mic as the default sound play/capture devices.
  15. Alexlightning7

never experienced or heard of anyone with this problem. Ive been playing for 6 months. Strange issue. I do have this issue with Fallout new vegas, but I doubt that that can be related in any way.
  16. Hyperz

Do all of you guys who experience the issue have AMD GPU's? There must be a pattern somewhere if half of us get the issue and the other half doesn't...

My specs:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Asus P8P67
    Core i5 2500k
    Sapphire HD 7970 Vapor-X (GHz edition)
    8 GB DDR3 1600
  17. GruntOne

Actually for me it does no longer crash guaranteed every time (if you were in the game, not just char screen) but it still does from time to time.

It used to be all the time.
  18. Artifex78

Ouch. This setup is dangerous and I seriously encourage you to set up a proper firewall with NAT. Running (crappy) software firewalls ON your PC is either save nor reasonable. It is better than nothing, but it is not save.

On topic: Frequency of crashes on exit is a lot lesser than before. The whole game runs quite stable (at least for me).
  19. Hyperz

Oh, just noticed I didn't mention this in the OP, but in my case it crashes on every exit no matter what.
  20. Athanasius

You don't know my setup or expertise.

I have a full /29 from my ISP and it solves a lot of problems to just have each machine with its own public IP. So no NAT. This also avoids using a consumer-grade DSL router to do the NAT with its underpowered CPU and RAM. All that NAT buys you is the equivalent of a 'DENY ALL' on incoming traffic, which is what I do anyway with Comodo PFW. Many naive users will be running such NAT and also UPnP which is equivalent to "oh come on in whoever you are, I don't care". I point you to recent exploits where routers with UPnP running will respond to packets from the WAN side without authentication. You may as well not have any NAT/firewall at all.

Running a s/w firewall also buys me "program X is trying to access A/B/C, or run other program Y, would you like to allow this? I can remember your answer if you like?" which I'd not get at all if only using NAT. Yes, there will be ways around this for the clever exploit-writers, but it's an extra hurdle. Defence in depth.

If I really wanted to doubly protect my Windows machine I could easily implement some filtering on the Linux router that sits between the DSL router/modem and everything else. However this is fraught with the same issues as UPnP-less NAT due to stupid developers implementing protocols that require arbitrary connections inwards. Given the recent issues with UPnP I have no desire to run any implementation of it either on DSL router/modem or my Linux server.

In short your own advice is severely misguided and dangerous.