4GB_Patch use

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NetSlayer, Nov 27, 2012.

1. NetSlayer

Hi,

So I wrote an optimisation guide for my clan and none of the tweaks actively change the planetside2.exe file.

Except for one.

This file patches EXE files to use/see more than 2gb of ram.
    Note: Only for 64-bit Systems.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Is this also a bannable offense?

It does not affect gameplay in anyway. Other than a marginal increase in fps.
  2. PoopMaster

It seems legit but I have an aversion to downloading .exes on sites I don't know about.
  3. Gidio

I would really like to try this, but I'm not sure that SOE won't see it as a hack of some sorts and I really don't want to lose all my SC items...
  4. ReTiCuLe

Can a TSR or CSR verify the use of this program with the game?
  5. PoopMaster

If it's anything like the 4GB patch for Stalker CoP then I don't see why it would be against the rules. It doesn't actually modify graphical settings like, say, SweetFx.
  6. Eyeklops

I really doubt you will get a green light from any SOE employee for anything that messes with the game code/files, rendering pipeline, or active game memory.
  7. ReTiCuLe

I don't see why not either. FFXIV had something similar to this
  8. Telgrin

Planetside 2 is already LAA. there is no need for this.
  9. NetSlayer

Yeah this was used on games like single player RPGs
    No you're right there is no change to graphics...
    If you are wondering about the use of this particular patcher just google the URL exactly http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

and you can clearly see what communities have suggested this patch.

I have recommended this patch on a game where, if there was a sudden increase in foliage then the process of the game would reach roughly 2 GB of ram usage and stutter/crash/fps drop. Patched it using this... no more problems with RAM.

I have 12 GB of ram.
    This game could be using more.
  10. YamiNoTenshi

There could also be problems while updating the game since the .exe has been altered.
  11. Darjk

Speaking purely theoretically, this would have absolutely no beneficial effect on the game what so ever unless the game was crashing due to running out of memory (Aion beta had this issue back in the day of exceeding 2GB's of memory due to massive memory leaks). This patch may allow for 4GB's to be used, however if the game isn't programmed to take advantage of it, you'll see no benefit. The game will still use <2GB of memory while playing meaning the extra 2GB's will do nothing.
  12. Mansen

13. NetSlayer

Where does it say this? using a tool from the same site I can see that the original planetside 2.exe is not LAA
    (Use CFF explorer)
  14. Ta'Lon

Telgrin is correct, Planetside 2 is already Large Address Aware:
  15. Golgo13

It doesn't even work. Try it. Once you start it just patches the exe over.