30% accuracy - 20% headshots. How to improve further?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by actionpark, Dec 7, 2016.

1. actionpark

Just looking for tips..

Overall im juust above 3kd for infantry. Mostly carbine and assault-rifle player.
    So a little above average but nothing special.

I look over my gun-stats and im usually in this range: 30% accuracy but only 20% headshots. How can I improve further?

Over time i've settled on my sensitivity so I don't think thats my biggest issue. Have had bad performance but got help to alter settings and now im usually around 50-60 fps.

I feel like I aim for the head when 'appropriate' but something tells me im really doing something wrong.
    How do you raise your headshot-rate just another level when your not terrible anylonger?
  2. Campagne

Exactly how does one achieve an infantry-only K : D of 3.0 with only 30% accuracy, and 20% headshot rate? :eek:

Lot'sa 'splosives maybe?
  3. Masyaka

I think the answer 800 firerate for both classes. Gonna miss atleast 5 shots for a kill.
  4. Zuprize

With a low kpm maybe? Also hsr isn't really important since it just counts on the last shot hiting the head, aim tendency on dasanfall records how often you hit the head, or that's what I think it does anyway.
  5. FieldMarshall

I think the best way to improve further is working on descision making, awareness, game mechanics etc. (i hope that doesent sound condescending).
    If you can improve that, you will find yourself "in the right spot at the right time" more often which will lead to more/faster kills and less deaths.

I know its a big vague, and i dont know how to spesifically improve this.
    But there is a guy on YouTube called ReNz0r who has a playlist called "tutorials". Thats probably a good place to start.
    In a lot of his video's he goes into detail about all the smaller tips that all add up to improve everything not related to aiming.
    Not all the video's in the playlist may be relevant to you though.

I hope that helps.

(Just to compare, i have ~25% accuracy and 6.7kd overall. Not sure about my HSR but im sure its pretty bad)
    (Im still working on the aim part...)
  6. LaughingDead

Only thing I could advise is try using the cq bolt of your faction, it teaches you to always aim for the head first when starting an engagement.
    Flanking probably. You don't needed nearly as many headshots if your target has to 360 your CQ carbine down.
    • Up x 1
  7. Ziggurat8

What magnification do you use for ADS? Maybe bump it up to the next level and drop your aimed sensitivity 1 click. Also it really depends on the weapon. ROF higher than 750 you're probably not gonna improve those accuracy levels without serious trigger discipline. Try the <700 ROF if you're looking for better accuracy.

If it's only about KDR basically you just have to control every engagement. Hang around the outsides of battles more often. Stick to controlled lanes you know enemy will be coming down or crossing and avoid fighting over points or anywhere there are multiple easy routes to your flank. Never fight in battles you don't have numerical superiority and always hang around spawn room/teleporter shield rooms anytime you don't have numbers on your side. Lastly always avoid fighting organized outfits of good players. You want to farm bads all day.

It's an awful way to play the game in my opinion but I promise you your KDR will go up a lot if you play that way.
  8. Demigan

Here's a tip: The accuracy and HSR ratings don't give a very accurate (heh) idea of your skill.

TL: DR.
    Accuracy and HSR are heavily context-based, and the distance at which you can reach your accuracy with a particular weapon is a far better way to gauge your skill than the actual accuracy rating. So basically you shouldn't bother much with accuracy at all as any number of outside factors and psychology influence this.

Long version:
    Open up any game and you'll find that on average the accuracy will be around 20 to 30%. This is because the average player will gauge the distance and his own skill to get a kill, and when his mind comes up with the idea of around 20 to 30% hit chance he'll think the time is right and open fire. TTK has some effect on it as a fast TTK means spray&pray rewards more often and a slow TTK means spray&pray won't work as easily.
    Keep in mind that the most important factor here isn't your chance to hit, but your chance to get a kill. This is why a sniper rifle for instance usually has an accuracy around 40 to 50%. With the extra time between shots there is a larger chance the enemy will survive and get behind cover or return fire, so a sniper will only fire if around 1 out of 2 shots will hit his target.

So imagine a newb. At 20m distance while running&gunning he gauges he'll get that 20 to 30% hitchance and he'll open fire as he thinks he can get a kill at that distance. If the target was farther away he would first try to close the distance and not open fire, as his opponent might wield a weapon designed for that range or have the skill to win the fight, which the newb knows he hasn't got. This is pretty standard, even when people see an entire Zerg run around at 150m distance they won't be picking a target and fire, they'll first close the distance so they are more certain to get a kill.
    Now imagine the same player but after he's gotten more experienced. He's gotten better and will now gauge his 20 to 30% hit chance at 40m and open fire at that distance. While his accuracy has remained the same the range at which he uses it has improved.

So your accuracy rating didn't really show a lot about your skill. At best you'll see yourself improve from 20% average accuracy to +/-30%... With that particular weapon. If you really wanted to see how you improved you would have to see the average distance you hit your opponent at with that weapon as well and compare that to the average distance you hit enemies at earlier. But here's another problem, some weapons are simply better at different ranges. A CQC Carbine will, despite the same skill level, be fired at shorter distances as the chance of a kill is lower at longer ranges compared to a mid-range Carbine.

Your HSR would be a relatively better stat to see how you improved, were it not for the fact that only the killing-blow counts to the HSR ratio. You could do each battle with 3 headshots and end with 1 bodyshot, nothing would be added to your HSR. Even though going for headshots first and finishing with a bodyshot is far more intelligent in a COF-based game. The larger your COF the larger your chance to miss the small head purely by RNG despite perfect aim. So firing the last bullets at the chest or neck area is a far more intelligent idea to maximise your chance and speed of a kill unless you are using low-COF weapons in CQC.
    • Up x 1
  9. Demigan

Playstyle playstyle playstyle.

It all depends on playstyle first, skill second. Even a giant noob can get a relatively good KD by farming with vehicles or MAX's, a high-skill player can look like a little ***** because he constantly attempts things that don't reward KD or accuracy as much, such as hunting down enemy tanks or MAX's, specifically targeting Medics or Engineers and similar feats. Are you really going to assume that the player who uses 90% of his playtime to do a Heavy with the same weapon in the middle of a friendly Zerg is better than the guy who always fights outpopped and tries to stop the enemy by taking out key things like a Sunderer or that MAX at the top of the stairs?

We don't know if Actionpark, who did tell us a few of his stats but didn't give us his character to analyse, has a low KPH because he only plays it safe, or that he maybe plays all classes with any weapon he didn't aurax even if he doesn't like the weapon and is always first at the enemy Sunderer but is simply badas s enough to still keep a 3.0 KD. Without that context we don't know anything and we can't judge his stats.
    • Up x 1
  10. Eternaloptimist

Have you tried sniper rifle? It'll piss people off too............so, double win :).
  11. Anonymous Qwop

Here are some things that I do to practice my aim.

1. Use low ttk weapons. These weapons will force you to aim better or die. And headshots are essential for turning that low ttk to a better one. This will put you in the habit of going for headshots more and increase your overall aiming.

2. Warm-up before play sessions. Aim booster is a popular one. I personally practice aiming on Overwatch because I play that a lot.

3. Lift your aiming hand off the table and aim with your arm not your wrist. This promotes better muscle memory aiming. You may need to turn down your sensitivity.

4. Compensate for game mechanics. For example: Overwatch has spray only, Planetside 2 has recoil and spray, csgo has spray only.

If you google or YouTube how to get better at aiming, there are some in-depth guides.
  12. GuhMaster2512

If don't use recursion stat tracker, I highly recommend using it for the crosshair overlays. There are a lot of good overlays here that can be used and they really help you snap to the head during the ads process. I also used to do warm sessions on my TR/NC characters because there is an area in VR Training with about 5-6 Vanu lined up. Bring a sunderer over and practice snapping between targets. If you are willing to record yourself, a lot of the guys the planetside reddit or your server reddit can help you out as well.
  13. Campagne

Hmm, yeah, I guess that makes sense. Even if it is just headshot kills, that is still a fairly good indicator of the average amount of headshots, for most weapons anyway.

Maybe. When I flank others though, if I don't kill them in a second or less (to be generous) it would become an open fight. And if I had lower accuracy than my opponent, I might still lose regardless. Though, perhaps he is very successful with his flanks and often fires at harassers and ESFs and the like, or distant infantry?

The OP said his 3+ KD was for infantry, so taking his word for it he didn't artificially inflate it with tanks and probably not MAXes, which I guess often varies in type across individuals. Unless he plays either super conservatively or extremely aggressive with an auto-shotgun or something, it would be really quite difficult to perform as well as the OP claims with 30%/20%. Perhaps Actionspark may shed some light on this himself.
  14. Demigan

That was kind of my point really, we don't know his playstyle and we can't extrapolate anything as long as we don't have his character. We might be able to spot trends or possible tactics that he's likely to have used. Otherwise he could also shed some light on his own tactics, perhaps show a few, preferably uncut, video's of some of his playsessions so we can analyze it and look at how he's performing. That way we can also tell him if he's incredibly good at reaching a 3.0 KD with his playstyle, or that he maybe should have had 6+KD considering his playstyle but that he's doing things wrong and getting lower.

Hell maybe now is the time to also point out that he should be focussing on other things than mechanical skill. Bump up his situational awareness (SA) and positional skills so he's better at flanking or preventing attacks on himself, which would further improve him as a player and perhaps give him better accuracy stats (as he'll engage more often on his own terms) and better KD.
    • Up x 1