167-tier long-range carbines rated best to worst.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by RoofLurker, Nov 2, 2014.

1. RoofLurker

Hi guys.
    So, I was comparing long-range, 167-tier carbines (by their usefulness to the LA),
    and I think that there is a pretty clear hierarchy.

#3 HC1 Cougar
    Advantages:
    -highest mag-size.
    -2x burst mode
    Disadvantages:
    -slowest reload
    -worst hipfire
    -highest cert cost
    -left directional pull (unintuitive to right-handed people and T5 AMC users)

#2 Razor GD-23
    Advantages:
    -fastest bullet velocity (works well with silencer)
    -fastest reload (fast reload only 0.01 faster than the Pulsar C though)
    Disadvantages:
    -none

#1 Pulsar C
    Advantages:
    -lowest horizontal recoil (advanced foregrip)
    -highest RPM
    -no bullet drop (works well with silencer)
    -no directional pull
    Disadvantages:
    -slowest bullet velocity (but only 5 m/s slower than the Cougar, so not a noticeable disadvantage)

I used current in-game stats.
    Is there something I overlooked?
  2. CMDante

Much as I like the cougar, I am not pleased that TR has to pay out the *** in disadvantages to enjoy a damage class that everyone else had to begin with. But it does look/sound by far the best, which, to me, counts
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

Actual performance stats.

You're rather over-egging the Cougars "disadvantages" there, especially when we look at comparative performance in KPH or Q4KPU.
  4. CMDante

Well, the listed disadvantages are objective fact. The actual performance of the weapons seems to be a secondary issue.

Not to say that the Cougar is a piece of **** or anything, just that comparing numbers put it below the others. Admittedly I have not seen the performance stats.
  5. Ribero

The Razor actually has horizontal recoil too, though it is right sided, not left sided.

Pulsar C has the highest vertical recoil out of the three, I think.
  6. RoofLurker

Like my Cougar as well, but I'd rather have any of the other two carbines stat-wise.
    I'd be satisfied if they changed the left directional pull, removed the hipfire disadvantage, buffed it's bullet velocity,
    or something like that.
    Might make another thread about that which references this one if enough people agree.

You have to consider that a player who wants to use the Cougar needs to shell out 1000 certs, which is a major sum for new players who have cooler/more useful stuff to buy anyway, while you get the Razor and Pulsar free if you say you like long-ranged weapons in a starter quiz, or for 250 certs later on.
    That's why imo these stats are very inaccurate for balancing in this case.

Checked the wiki and it's supposedly right, but I'm reluctant to include it because I couldn't see it (written) or feel it in game,
    unlike the other stuff.
    Vertical recoil is possible to effectively compensate for even in extreme cases like the Gauss Saw, unlike horizontal recoil.
    As for the Razor's directional pull, I didn't include it because I already put lack of it as an advantage for the Pulsar and the worse left directional pull as an disadvantage to the Cougar.
    This list is comparative.
  7. Iridar51

As a rule of a thumb, wiki shouldn't be used, it often contains outdated or plain wrong info. It is better to use the weapon stats spreadsheet, it's up to date on most of the weapons. Positive recoil angle values indicate right pull, negative - left.

All weapons have horizontal recoil - the uncompensatable side to side shake, jitter.
    All weapons have vertical recoil.
    Some of the weapons have recoil angle, which is applied to both vertical and horizontal recoil.
    For more detailed explanation visit: http://ps2guides.besaba.com/mechanics#recoil_mechanics

It is preferable to use weapons without recoil angle.
    • Up x 1
  8. Goretzu

KPH may have that issue to some degree (although neither the Razor or Pulsar C are free), BR75+ KPH would be better, but it's not readily accessible.
    Q4KPU removes that issue however and they are all much of a muchness there.
  9. RoofLurker

Didn't really know about Q4KPU stats until now :oops: .
    Guess my carbine hierarchy might not be fit for rebalancing since there's no clear difference in performance.
    But, I still don't think it's off.
    If you look at [URL=http://ps2oraclestats.com/?stat=headshot_pct&weapon1=7211&weapon2=7194&weapon3=7173] headshot percentages[/URL], the Pulsar C wins all year long, while the Cougar and Razor are behind by almost as much as lower-range carbines are behind them. Considering that the Cougar is outperforming the other two at general KPU, which likely means that players who use it are more skilled in general, it should be above the Razor in headshot % if it has the same accuracy.
    That seems to confirm that the Pulsar C is the most accurate at the highest DPS, while Razor is #2 and Cougar #3.