1 rocket volley 1-shots a tank...thought this was fixed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halcyon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Halcyon

In beta towards the end one of the patches gave air rockets enormous damage against tanks, often killing them in less then 3 seconds when fired at the tank's rear.
    Higby himself responded to one of the threads saying it was an unintended buff and they would be nerfed back to a more reasonable damage.

Tonight twice my vanguard with full health was killed in 1 rocket spam volley from both a mossy and a scythe. Each time it went from 100% to 0% in 2-3 seconds. No time to move, react, even pop the vanny shield.

Thought this was supposed to be fixed? What happened? Also consider the state of the A30 Walker, which is an absolute joke vs aircraft. It does more damage against infantry then air.
    In the current state, tanks don't have a prayer vs rocket spam.
    • Up x 6
  2. AzK

It doesnt, unless it's from the low back.
    And that is a gross lie, i mean if you don't have time to press ONE key during the few seconds it takes for an esf to unload ALL its rockets, it means you were either sleeping or thought you could get away without using the skill, and paid the price.
  3. Kassidus

Hmm Imagine that, A air vehicle with anti tank weaponry kills a tank.....indeed something amiss
    • Up x 1
  4. Azren

I hope you apply the same logic when it comes to AA weaponry...
    • Up x 14
  5. Total_Overkill

Rear armor...

Working as intended
  6. sierra035

if you get hit in the back, you clearly deserve to die in one volley
  7. GamerOS

Imagine that, an AA gun shooting at an Aircraft and the aircraft flies away with barely any scratch damage, something is indeed wrong here.
    • Up x 7
  8. Jac70

We said during the beta that the rocket pods were too strong. Then they buffed them, which they admitted was a mistake but they only reduced them to what they were. With the nerf to anti-air they are still a PITA.

Now the fastest, most manoeuvrable unit also has the quickest TTK on an MBT. And the MBT has no effective defense against an ESF - the A30 Walker is pitifully weak. Experienced pilots don't even bother turning away when they come under fire from one.

The salvo size needs to be reduced to maybe 6 rockets. With an ESF only able to carry 4 salvos. The MBT AA needs to be at least a threat to ESFs.
    • Up x 1
  9. Bags

It's for the same reason that air gets shot down in one clip of AA.

Oh wait. :rolleyes:
    • Up x 2
  10. Halcyon

This is still an issue. It's exactly the same situation in beta that we were told would be fixed.
    And just to respond to the rocketpod defenders:

You can't avoid getting shot in the back by aircraft, because I'm not checking the air constantly (and even if I was I can't maneuver quickly enough to avoid the rockets) since it's not the job of a tank. The counter to that is AA, and the rate that a single AA kills aircraft is laughable. Can't compare a single skyguard's damage to a single aircraft killing a MBT in one pass.
    Rear armor also doesn't exist. Don't know why someone suggested that. Check the certs again.

Anyway, the point is that even Higby acknowledged this exact situation right before launch, but nothing was done about it.
    • Up x 2
  11. CoreDave

That may apply to being hit by ground based weapons because you have some hope of controlling this with good positioning, but rocket pods are too easy to bring in from what ever angle the pilot wants and so should not have the same killing power advantage. Rocket pods should take multiple volleys to kill a heavy tank from the rear, maybe one extra full volley to the front.
    • Up x 1
  12. Lord Gazgul

The rocketpod will be ok if only there was some AA, i mean real AA some kind of AA who ACTELY HIT AIR
    SOE this is getting sick you need to communicate on this and realy quick
  13. Goden

Let's see here...

Tanks turn very slowly and have a top speed of around 50-60kph

ESF's can turn on a dime and can fly at over 300kph. They also have complete 3D movement.

Totally the tanks fault.
    • Up x 2
  14. CoreDave

No they really wouldn't. They would be exactly the same if there was no AA around and therefore just as annoying. Or in the much more likely situation that there was some AA around there would be no air play at all, which in turn would make playing AA pointless.
  15. Lord Gazgul

I see only whit your avatar that you are one of these air unit who think there are skilled ninja, your not, we need some AA that's all
  16. Gramps

As a guy that flies and uses rocket pods I have to disagree. If I line someone up and fire rockets into their rear armor while they're stationary they usually die by rocket 10 and can't/don't have time to react. Not sure if it's just lag causing them to not realize their being damaged or normal human reaction time.

I don't think it's "IMBALANCED" however, since armored columns should and need to bring AA support with them.
  17. Gramps

Not sure why people are complaining that AA is broken, AA is far from broken. I only have one burster on my MAX and can both kill and chase away enemy planes that try to hover spam.
  18. Lord Gazgul

stop trying to say that AA is OK, evrybody can see that you are a flyboy not a maxbuster....
    • Up x 3
  19. Imnuktam

People complain because they want to actually kill things when using their counter, instead of just scaring them away as is the case with using AA now. I fly, and fly badly, but I will farm you all day long if you want to use the one armed man vs my esf with pods on it. I wont even fly away from one max with one arm if that is all that is firing at me, that is just free exp.

The arguement over this topic comes down to the part of the community that feels AA is fine if it is able to "scare away" aircraft vs the part of the community that feels one guy using AA should be able to kill one guy flying in an aircraft. I fly and I am still part of the latter.
    • Up x 2
  20. Gramps

It is okay though, both tower/base AA, MAX AA especially and to a lesser degree Skyguard AA is more then effective.

I'd like you to try to take Scarred Mesa Skydock on Indar while a platoon has some AA Maxs pulled, it's next to, if not impossible. The base is near flight cap which is 1,000 KM so you can't come in at any reasonable height, there is no way up from the ground so air and podding in is the only way to reach it.

Again, please refrain from considering AA bad when you're one guy using AA versus 20 planes, you're not going to shoot them all out of the sky yourself Rambozo.
    • Up x 1