Want to waste time? Ride with an outfit.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ent|ty, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Krona

That would be messed up, my outfit has a TS rule, but an exception is our deaf member who follows orders better than some of our hearing ones.
  2. Ghoest

No.
    When I play in a squad the squad mate names look the same as marked enemies. So either I take extra long anddie or i shoot friendlies. So I dont play in squads.

I suppose I could join an outfit and never group up - but thats mostly just a headache then.
  3. SvZ Owns

You gain noting for playing in a outfit, wast of time indeed lol.
  4. Zapon

When I commanded 128 people in MAG- and ran up against a GOOD OIC- it was HECTIC, having to use the command map to then guide whole platoons to give up their sides and make a push against where our enemies had less resources- diverting a squad's airstrikes, etc- to help bombard bunkers where the assigned squads were having trouble- having people give up the letters to move backwards against really tough enemies- and so on.

Babysitting? No, it was working with 4 platoon leaders and even advising squad leaders from time to time. And sometimes acting as defacto Platoon leader if the PL did not have a mic

it was NOT babysitting- Heck, you want to know something? I did VERY VERY LITTLE fighting every time I got OIC.

And it was not babysitting- and yet, I controlled 128 people.

Perhaps, to be fair, I was one of the only ones who had a genuine interest in the macro-scale- yet, I took this seriously
    -it's why i eventually hope to learn this game enough to command large numbers. Sadly, i fear that may never be the case and i wont be able to replicate what i accomplished before.

---Zapon, a Raven Leader from MAG
  5. Bill Hicks

ahahahahah this guy hit the nail on the head. Every "pro" outfit just picks a deserted continent and then just caps it. This is a severe failure on the side of development team.
  6. InducedApathy

Sometimes it's nice to relax and just hover in a lib for awhile soaking in the xp and certs. Those bases are empty I wager because they were filled with people like you. I've been part of some epic battles (assaults/defenses) and it's a daily thing. We have options in the game.
  7. Jaloro

People like the OP that have issues with authority always like to start threads like these. If its not "armchair generals" its "power mad raid leaders" or "dictatorial guild leaders".

Bottom line is they don't understand that a lot of people enjoy working with others to be a more effective unit. Something greater than the sum of its parts. They don't understand it so instead they mock it and everyone involved with it. People are either little hitlers if they command or mindless drones if they follow orders.

Personally I cannot understand people whose personalities are so weak that they feel threatened by doing what someone else tells them to do. I cannot understand people who have so little empathy that they cannot fathom that most outfit leaders tend to do the job because noone else really wants to take the responsibility.

I always remember in the guilds and outfits I have run the hardest roles to fill were always leadership ones and am always grateful to those that step up. Hence I made this post in their defence. Its a lot easier to belittle the efforts people put in than to actually do something useful like start your own outfit.
  8. Eduard K.

LOL, leading on videogames has always been translated to nothing but babysitting, a power trip for nerds who never had any in real life.

Come on, who are you kidding with all of that? you only need advisors to put a plan together, leaders are just dorks there to babysit and make sure their little group doesn't fall apart.

Your signature more than proves my point.
  9. Negator

I see you have never had the cahones to take on a position of authority, ever. And dont understand how this game works. GL casual internet hero in all that you do.
    • Up x 1
  10. Pruto

I don't play online games to be all warm and fuzzy over what little strategy and tactics are used in these games. I play them to blow things up, to farm spacebux and to have fun. I don't really care about the grand strategy of this game, because there is none. So why fret over it?

Its funny, because as a lone magrider I've had more strategic impact than many squads by picking out a place that had yellow or orange activity and going there to blow up their sunderers. Why just the other day I shattered a platoon-size TR attack by killing 6 prowlers from behind before they noticed me. That is more strategic impact than what some squads can manage in an entire evening of play.

In my experience squad/platoon leaders only know how to do two things - cap empty bases or feed themselves to a meatgrinder. Even with MBTs, they are nervous of heading to orange hexes and that's a shame because there's a lot of potential there for a fun game. Or at least more fun than pretending to be tactical for another 300 xp cap...

I've followed directions in other MMOs easily because those directions usually resulted in fun and a lot of winning. I've yet to see something similar in PS2, probably because every server besides Mattherson is so weak when it comes to competition.

Also, implying people have weak personalities because they don't want to follow your incompetent online military hierarchy is, well, adorable.
    • Up x 2
  11. Eduard K.

I have but IRL, where it matters.

Leading in videogames is, again, a joke.
    • Up x 1
  12. DataLight

Oh boy, when i read posts like this i could cry..
    Good thing is lonewulfs get bored pretty fast in this game and go back to their COD and BF3.
  13. Negator

McDonalds shift manager doesnt count.
    • Up x 1
  14. HappyZaps

Oh come now. We all know that such guilds and guild leaders exist. Of course they're not all like that. But some are, and to imply otherwise is to deny reality.
    • Up x 1
  15. Pruto

Actually at ~12k/hour It'd be a while before I start getting bored, but you just might
  16. lsp1

Nothing you do in this game makes a difference, so that's irrelevant.
  17. Jrv

This thread is pathetic, exactly what I'd expect from the COD crowd in planetside.

Really now, throwing "nerd" buzzwords around like this is highschool? Grow up.

Some people enjoy being mindless zerglings, and that's fine, but don't start hating on outfits because they want more out of their experience. My outfit does what is necessary to win, and that often means taking an outlying adjacency that may not have as much combat. However, on a strategic map, there is more than just the front line, and that's half the reason we're even playing this game and not battlefield. I lead squads, platoons, whatever. I'm one of the higher-ups in my company, I answer only to my CO and my XO. I don't do it because I want to have a power trip, I do it because I'm good at it and I'm willing. Essentially, I do it for every single person who trusts me to lead them, and I feel like their experience is my responsibility. It's a LOT of work making a platoon function as it should, splitting up the teamspeak, setting up command channels, I do ALL of that, and I do it for my guys. They respect the work I put in, and I respect their dedication. Together, we've made some great friendships and have a lot of great stories to tell so far.

^^^^This so much
  18. Nitroman

A lot of this "zerg" is outfit led dude.
  19. Eduard K.

Lol, I have never worked on a fast food franchise, not even as a teen.

My only boss is my client, put it that way, I probably hired your dad at some point as well.
  20. Zapon

Except, I'm not kidding anyone.

Babysitting? When the Platoon leaders Often were far more effective with a OIC who would re-distribute a few forces fro ma platoon to another on calculated resources? No two battles were the same

I dont have a signature. My Raven Leader quote was noting what faction I played.

Advisors? Excuse me????

There are no Advisors in MAG. Did you play MAG?

I doub't you did. Which is a shame- it was highly enjoyable

"make sure things don't fall apart"- That's funny. Considering the majority of battles did not have active OIC's speaking and guiding the pack- what do you mean "fell apart"

one side would win, and one side would lose regardless.

Want to talk Acquisition? You want to tell me that leaders were "babysitting" when it took SERIOUS tactics that the OIC had to come up with in order to attack the vehicles against a decent platoon?

Power Trip? thats funny.

I like the macro-strategics of a battle. It's also why I'm a massive C&C player.

"Advisors" - considering there were DIFFERENT levels of Leaders overseeing multiple people ,really?

And on the real life point. Several people who play PS2, MAG , hell, other games- have all had to lead a team of people in real life.

Stop it with the petty insults and assumptions and accusations. You seem to think I put up some funny facade for power trips- that's pretty immature to blanket label leaders.

Babysitting...if everything done work-wise by a leader is babysitting, despite variances- you are targeting leading in general.