Rant on the population(Video)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by r.Tek, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Quickscope

about as clueless as clueless gets.
  2. r.Tek

Lol I don't think you get it. There aren't many shooters out there that offer the type of gameplay you can find in a Planetside game.
  3. Bragg

GET ORGANIZED!

Problem is not server population. Problem is to get organized. Organized platoon(s) can sweep higher population enemy on continent any day. This game relys heavily on teamwork and coordination. And thats the way it should be allways kept.

- Too many small squads 1-12 people runing around and capping places. Or just solo players taging along/following other playres.
    - Huge mobs that just steam roll bases and enemy does the same. Tie.
    - Randoms (i call solo players or realy small squads which are not organized = randoms. You cant rely actions of these squads)
    - Bad squad leaders who dont realiaze there are promoted to lead position when last leaved. (IDEA: Disband squad, or better one. give us option to "want to lead squad" in settings. Which would let this person to be promoted than "random" who doesnt know what to do. And people who want to avoid leading, could leave this setting unchecked)
    - Bad platoon leaders fear to split up 4 squads what they have in use, to simultaneusly achieve objectives. (Just lots of down time waiting the base to be captured. All wants the xp)
    - Platoon leader co-work in command channel.

Speculation:
    This all might change in future when more continents are added to game. And hopefully old PS1 style continent locking comes to play. And you have to conquer continents in certain order. This puts all 3 factions to collision course. And free hopping around continents it not productive anymore.

Bragg OUT!
    ps. i like to fight enemy which has superiority, ensures i have lots of targets to kill.
  4. r.Tek

Who are you going to squad up with if there is barely anyone online?

And the fact of the matter is you still need numbers in this game. Is it possible for an organized unit to take on an enemy with more numbers? Absolutely. But you still need a certain amount of people in order to counter the enemy, especially if they are also organized. You just said yourself "organized platoon(s)" can compete with an enemy with a high population. However if you're playing on a continent where your faction makes up 7% of the population and all of them are spread out elsewhere, you're not exactly going to have an easy time getting together a platoon of people unless you're in a large outfit. You'd be lucky to get a squad of people together in the warp gate!

Getting organized does not solve the population issue.
  5. Bragg

Actually this part i missed and didnt count in my last post. You are right on this one if on bad luck some people choosed server and it didnt get populated much as others. Good thing is why you think SOE and PS2 team made all soldiers names and outfit names global? (Easy to merge server populations and no need to hassle with names). Or hope SOE allows in future soldiers tranfers to other servers.
    Moving massive ammount of soldiers from other server to other might cause realy high que's in F2P players. IMHO is not viable option now. It would just peak out all those 3 continents. Would make people transfering continent to continent hard. Need to wait SOE get those new conts out.

Our hope is in good platoon / squad leaders, who will teach and guide soldiers under them. More players learn the game mechanics and tactics. Little success here and there will get people intrested. And encourage people to join outfits.
    This takes time, myself i have prepared for 2-3 months wait. In that time all try outs have lost intrest in game and left. Active and teamwork oriented players stay on game.

Hang on soldier and keep fighting hard!

Bragg OUT!
  6. Apina

LOL back to you, I think its very selfish to demand they change the game to fit for you. They need to make all changes bacause of YOU. Yeah, one thing we agree is that we need ALOT more MMOFPS, glad you understand it.
  7. r.Tek

What in the hell are you talking about...?
  8. Apina

Its been 3 week and you kids still cry here, its becoming tiring.
  9. r.Tek

[IMG]
  10. Apina

Well, you said it well.
  11. r.Tek

I'm curious, what have I asked SOE to change in game for me? Provide me with a nice little list.
  12. Hodo

Multiple problems with PS2 and you hit one of them on the head.

But the other issues are.

-One man caps
    -Lack of defense XP (and that little % bonus you get per kill doesnt add up)
  13. Vashyo

I havent seen my server population go over medium since launch lol. It's boring. Its more about capping empty bases for XP and then stacking up at crown to boost kill XP.
  14. Cikk

Bump. This is an excellent video.

I can understand having 40% population on a continent. That's clearly an advantage, but only by about 10%.

60% population, or populations where the ratio is like 6:1... this is a joke. How did this even make it into the game? I'm being serious. Who could possibly enjoy outnumbering the enemy 6 to 1?

Let me put that number in perspective for you.

That means if you have 1 heavy tank in the area. The enemy has 6.
    That means if you have 2 ESFs in the area - the enemy has 12.
    That means if you have 3 soldiers in the area - the enemy has 18.

This is absurd.
  15. Cikk

You don't know what you're talking about.

Defending is the biggest XP farm in the game simply because of the 15% XP boost.

I almost can't get my outfit to attack some times just because we're getting SO many kills defending, and getting such a huge XP boost from it.
  16. Cikk

You must be really intelligent man. I'm kind of impressed.

TR has 60% population on a continent, and your first thought on why their winning?
    "TR is overpowered".

Really?
    Did you fall down the stairs?
  17. Hodo

Need more organized outfits also.

Part of the problem is when you have outfits like 666th Devil Dogs, Enclave, and several others that are numbering in the hundreds and refuse to leave ONE continent you hurt the overall game. Or when they are outfits in name only but are otherwise nothing more than a rabble with a tag there is another issue.

I have played PS1, and WWIIOL I have seen good "outfits/Squads" and I have seen bad ones. Right now there are more bad ones than good ones. To many of them rely on in game VOIP which is ok, but is weak at best. Others have Vent/TS3/Mumble which is far better than the ingame VOIP, but isolates them. I am one of those who uses the out of game VOIP and I know I kill my ingame VOIP 99% of the time. I actually get better frame rates, one less sound to render on my already overloaded CPU.
  18. Hodo

I dont, look at Vashyos sig. Unless you camp a Sunderer you wont get that many kills, or there is a MAJOR zerg attack and your sitting in the perfect position.

I average 15 kills on D. But that doesnt make up for the 15 kills I can get while attacking and still get the cap bonus.

You do the math.
  19. Thrust Bearing

First off, well done video. But I do not agree.

Its the players that need to determine population balancing on continents. On your video I see that TR has taken two maps while losing one. That's an overall win for you and a failure on the other factions for not spreading their troops properly. Consciously losing a map while taking another is a strategic move that I would hate to see removed from the game. You can expect to see this kind of thing throughout PS2's life as more and more continents come out.

The only population balancing that SOE should be doing is on faction division throughout the server.

As for cert campers, they are the ones missing out. Most people put too much focus on certs. You gain enough points to buy the abilities you want after a week of game play. This is a good balance because it is enough time for players to get a feel for the mechanics and create a path for themselves. After that, you shouldn't worry so much about certs. Go to where you want to go for the fun in it. Camping for points is just plain boring and only serves to ruin the game for yourself.
  20. Taskforce

If you are on Genudine, consider joining us. Organized platoon(s) and we have hit the size that we need to run multiple platoons. We improvise and adapt to the situation on whatever continent we're on. On Genudine the TR always have the lowest pop. But that doesn't stop us from making headway.

Recruitment info in the sig. I am for more organized outfits, but not everyone is a "Leader" or wants to lead. We have to remember in the end this is still a video game. I keep in mind that not everyone that joins our outfit or platoon has any tactical experience. Sometimes its worth the extra few minutes to help players who are not used to tactical movements or military strategy. In the end it leads to a more dedicated outfit member and typically yields a much better teamwork based unit.

Just my 2 cents,

-Grave