Scarred Mesa Skydock needs to be fixed NOW

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zverofaust, Dec 10, 2012.

1. TheBand1t

"I'm frustrated that there's an actually defensible position that can't be tank and sundie spammed"

that's all I got out of this.
    • Up x 2
  2. SgtScum

Got a dev quote stating this as I have been doing some orbital liberator spam on hotspots and getting mucho kills.

Or at least the xo telltale and xp popup are telling me I am. o_O

God forbid its a bug though..
  3. JeanLannes

I am sorry but I just can't agree, this base is one of the few truly interesting and challenging places to take on all three continents. I love trying to take it, even while I am being blown out of the sky when there is an organised defence - and that happens often because I fly about as well as a rock :p

I want more bases like this one, not just 'cookie-cutter' copies where the same tactics - I use the term loosely - will ensure your victory in each and every base no matter which continent you are fighting on. This base makes me think, this base also forces me - as a ground grunt - out of my comfort zone and I adore that; in short this base to me represents the best that PS2 can be, innovative design, and team-work as essential for attack and defence, so I would be disappointed if the base was redesigned.

This is just my opinion though, so entirely biased and usually wrong :D
    • Up x 2
  4. Neelkanth

Outposts are unique and interesting and I wish there were more like this with strong defensive qualities.
  5. Phaze

I was in that base earlier with a LARGE group of NC.

A coordinated TR instant action/spawn beacon drop assault of maybe 40 (?) capped it from us in about 2 mins.

Right now I think a lot of the people complaining about this are just part of the Zerg... Zerg learns very slowly.... Zerg implements even slower... a few months from now, I bet the Zerg will be pulling of drop assaults with ease.

Today - they remain a tool of the outfits.
  6. SgtScum

Which is why I hope the devs concentrate on balance and client optimizations long before they start grinding out new content.

We need a solid team oriented game that even noobs can participate in as long as there are dedicated outfits that want to educate them before we need new shineys and that is what will eventually lead to this game being a massive sucess in the long term.

As it stands I think they got pretty close to the center of the dart board on their first throw. :)
  7. Wobberjockey

what i got from this was the following

OP: WAHHH I CAN"T ZERG THIS BASE IT'S TOO HARD!
    Thread: coordination. use some
    OP: I DON'T WANNA !

and this is why we can't have nice things
  8. Figment

17-140 K/D is pretty normal for tanks and aircav alike, no matter who uses them and it doesn't take an awful lot of skill to do that.

They are actually pretty OP in the hands of someone who can hull down, strafe and / or stays at range with the intend to farm, rather than take something (aside from spawncamping).

It's funny that spawncampers these days are told "well played". In the past, players would praise skilled gameplay and would scoff at spawncampers. New generation of instant satisfaction doesn't quite know what fun can be gotten out of a challenge anymore. Hell, they don't know what skill is anymore. K/D is everything, get a lower K/D while playing the game as intended (ie. take land?), "worse player than someone who only farms, cause hey look K/D, can't be OP, farmed player must be bad or should have never tried to fight". FFS, this is supposed to be a competitive wargame, you SHOULD fight and farming should be reduced to a minimum while actual aiming skill should be rewarded! Everyone can get a crosshair over a target and fire at it once by accident. Especially if you only have to aim it in the general direction to get a kill or don't even have to see if there's a target because you know people MUST move through a certain chokepoint.

A very interesting psychology of ego-padding on the basis of nothing. People used to pride themselves on being good at something difficult. Not at something that's like taking candy from a baby.

It's also funny that you can't fathom something is. A Magrider in PS1 did 12% damage to infantry per shot with the front gun and hardly damaged vehicles (I killed many lone drivers with a Fury ATV in pretty long, out-maneuvring skill dogfights). THAT was balanced! Its gunner weapon (required gunner) had very little splash damage, but did 80% damage to infantry, but had very good sniping range. It could however be combatted and again, it took gunner skill.

Vanguard and Prowler didn't have drivers that could fire guns, they were dependent on their buddies, who did have instakill against infantry, but it meant you didn't have TWO vehicles with instakill like you do now.

On top of all that, you could disable their guns if they got too close by EMPing them.

Lightnings needed 4 shell shots to kill a rexo infantry (HA), or needed to use a machine gun on them. That actually made them work to get a kill without too much damage. The arc of the shot was greater too and splash smaller and less effective, while AV was more accurate at range than tanks. Meanwhile, camping doors wasn't as effective. Firing into buildings impossible aside from one tiny little room at the edge of a facility or tower - and only if someone was stupid enough to leave the door open.

THAT ensured farming and getting a high K/D took some skill and farming was primarily done by infantry inside bases on other infantry, mostly because the attacking infantry was funneled into a bit too narrow chokepoints. Anything that can be farmed is a bit too easy. Can either be base design, but in this case it's easymode gun design on all vehicles. And I drive vehicles constantly, I know what I'm using is OP, hence I can't enjoy it. I just have to give something an evil glare and either me or my outfit buddies killed it. What's the fun in that? I want my prey to have teeth so I get satisfaction out of the hunt! I don't fap to +100 x 10 per minute like some others here who think that's "skill", whenever I do that I'm emberassed of how easy it is, I get bored and I want to log. I hate camping someone else's spawn, in PS1 we went out of our way to not camp, here you pretty much can't but camp and how! It's lame!

An area of effect blast radius of around 2,5 meters and very high accuracy for lots of instakills is not OP, easy or otherwise lame? Sounds like you enjoy farming, maybe you should play Hello Kitty Online, I hear it's excellent for your skillset and level of development.
  9. iller

Umm... why??
    It's only an outpost worth 250 base XP on the Edge of the map which isn't blocking any of the main highways.
  10. zverofaust

Au contraire mon ami.
    • Up x 1
  11. AnnPerkins

Yeah, on Helios we got about as close to capping Indar as I've ever seen with only about 5-6 territories left and this was one of them. What kind of ******* developer decided to put an outpost that is:

1. Only accessible by air
    2. On the Opposite side of the map from the TR warpgate
    3. In between VS and NC warpgates

**** you with a rake soe dev guy
  12. Autrayu

Leave it alone. It's unique for crying out loud. Couple of gals ferrying folks up end of siege period. Good lord what has happened to gamers =/
  13. Ecko

No, the Skydock is fine.
  14. JammyJ

Tldr, but the point is, spawn camping is a legitimate tactic in this game, and if you can't leave your spawn, attack from another base. When I'm being spawn camped, I will purposely stay in my spawn and shoot outwards killing any idiots that may run in front of the shield.

Sure it's a cheap tactic, but I often tell my platoon to get as many certs as possible, because an advantage over your enemy is an advantage nonetheless, even if zero skill is required in getting the advantage. All is fair in love and war and video games,with the exception of hacks/modifying the game files and purposely teamkilling friendlies.

People running with such stats as these are good at something difficult, you can't just imply that they are 100% of the time spawncamping, I fly galaxies for my outfit, I give them advice on what to use, If I am taking out as many enemies as possible, I'm restricting the damage that could be done to my team.

Everybody has access to the vehicles and weapons because now they're not faction specific anymore. The truth is, people will always find and exploit game mechanics, so that they have the best advantage without actually hacking and if everyone does it, it becomes less of a problem and is how games are changed. Take a look at air in the recent patch, as a pilot of a reaver for over 6 hours in the game, I knew rocket pods were OP, but I still used them because why should I not use them?

The game, playerbase and mindset of players may have changed since PS1, you can't deny that, our opinions differ, the fact is KD, SPM, Leaderboards and all that baloney are measures of skill.

On another note, is it not possible to congratulate somebody on a good score anymore without being flamed on some of the finer details?
  15. Figment

That's all fine and dandy in the status quo, but spawncamping doesn't need to exist in this easy setup by design, so it should be redesigned such that you can hold a much bigger building than 12m^2 shed. In which case you can do a lot more than sit behind a shield.

Actually I can... You can't actually prove they're not, not with videos of spawncamping vehicles everywhere and everywhere and everywhere that pull of that ratio constantly. One does not need to be good at flying, Lib bombing, Lightning HE etc to get high K/Ds right now. Suggesting you would have to be makes you look rather naive, tbh.

See, if everyone uses something, it becomes more of a problem. And yes, needs changing. I presume we'll see many more nerfs coming next half year as people are still trying to prioritise cert, rather than get all the farm tools.

K/D has never been a measure of skill in PS2 because a spawncamper can get much higher K/Ds than someone who gets say... Knife kill streaks.

Skill is largely made irrelevant in this game due to the very short TTKs where skill is not allowed to win you an engagement.

Besides, K/D has always been irrelevant in PlanetSide as a determining factor of skill. You could grind all day from safety and not make any process, while someone who's an infil would have a negative K/D but beat an entire empire by sabotage after sneaking through a solid defense at great personal risk.

K/D should probably be banned from PS2 as a "measure" of anything. Currently it's more an indication of "lame tactics" likely. That's pretty sad I'd say.

But hey, if you want to congratulate someone without knowing what they did on the ability to click a mouse without moving it 70+ times in a row... Eh. Your call. Flails did that in PS1, they didn't even look where they fired, they just knew where players would be forced to move, so they were bound to hit something. Probably their own empire too. But hey, free kills.

Define good score. I can't tell what a good score is currently, so I'm not going to congratulate anyone.
  16. Balindrum

So, guess what they've added to Scarred Mesa Skydock? Good game, whiners, good game.

And SOE devs, please can you take a look at this thread? Look at it, read it. See how many people liked the fact you can't Zerg rush the Skydock? Adding that jumppad was a terrible, terrible decision. The one base that actually needed tactics to take can now be zerged. /sigh.
  17. Fear The Amish

thats how you take scarred mesa
    • Up x 1
  18. lordprinceps

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

you are not taking away the ONLY good defensive position in the game.
    the crown is just a ***********, and techplants are meat grinder.
    skydock is awesome because it takes actual skill to defend, you have to constantly be on the look out. a good galaxy pilot can come in from the coast and drop a full squad on you.
    squad beacons are even worse, if they can hide one in skydock, you have a constant stream of enemies dropping on your heads.

conclusion, crown and techplants are piss awful to attack, but skydock is fun for both parties involved.
  19. lordprinceps

3:1 in AA maxes. a hot drop full of heavies and shotty LA will kill them dead REAL quick
  20. Balindrum

Not anymore, it isn't. The change came into effect in Update 1. Mind, however, they forgot to update the mini-map. That still shows what used to be there: another landing pad. Just to make the change glaringly obvious. I also notice it wasn't in the "World" section of the changelog either.