Hacking or lagging?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mattressi, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ashnal

I'm going to take a guess and say this isn't even hacking.

It's players using networking software to deliberately throttle their connections whenever they aren't shooting. This allows them to lag around and be impossible to hit while they position themselves behind their targets. They flip the lag switch off to deliver their shots, then switch it back on and repeat.
  2. Garrix

If it isnt officially classified as hacking, it is cheating and/or exploiting, and should be bannable. It's fairly easy to see if someone is dropping exactly every x milliseconds. If they are truly having network issues it will be inconsistent, not so precise as to seem timed.
  3. Ashnal

I would classify it as exploiting, since it's taking advantage of the way the game's networking works to gain an unintended advantage over other players. Back when a buddy and I used to play Halo 2, we would see stuff like this happen all the time with game hosts who deliberately throttled all the other players.

The problem is, you'd have to watch a player quite closely to be able to differentiate normal network congestion from deliberate artificial congestion. It's a man in the middle attack. It'd be hard to reliably ban people who are doing this.
  4. SvZ Owns

I believe this should be a reason to perm ban, not kidding when I say seen this 3 times for the night from different named people all on VS all low battle rank. Just as the video that Naj showed. Playing on Soltech server, it's becoming very annoying so annoying I sign up to complain lol. Call it lag or hack, it's not fair to other players and ruins the game. Funny thing is if it was lag when you shoot them where they show up on screen it would not reg because that's not where they are but an interpretation of where they would be.
  5. Leekon

I've seen a guy no clipping but being invisible at the same time, we were on snow shear watchtower and this guy is floating in mid air around us but we can't see him and we were being shot from no where. Anyone know where to report people?
  6. Lord Byte

It's a problem with the game-design: Any serious FPS runs packets on the servers, it checks the server logs where the opponent is with when the player shoots. This has the disadvantage that when the lag gets a bit high, you have to lead more and inconsistencies can happen but it's better than the current alternative.
    Which is that if the guy is on your screen and stationary and you hit him, he gets the hit, even though on his system he's long behind the wall. And then hacks like lag-switches work wonders because you can basically freeze the entire server (on your screen), shoot them, unfreeze... And yes they are common, just keep focusfiring he's bound to run into some bullets... And report...
  7. Corruptlol

Wow most of you are just talking bs ...
    He was speedhacking and aimboting for sure.
    The cheat they use includes everything from speedhack wallhack to aimbot and a lot more features.
    We have a few on miller and they can change a basefight in a couple minutes.
    Plz stop talking trash and finding reasons what else it could be besides hacking.

The only way to stop this is to verify your station account with your bank account ( like paypal ) or atleast your phone number.
    Best would probably be if we do it like the korean and verify our accounts with our identiycard ( kssn in korea )
  8. SvZ Owns

I basically a cs player so I expected something a bit different, but I can understand this.
    I know SoE want as much players on the servers as possible but to avoid something like this can't they like add a high ping kicker or something, like 300+ ping get kick just random thoughts.
    I don't really know how hack on this game would look and can careless about that, lot of people don't have paypal or other things u mention like myself. But I do agree they should make it a lot harder/safer for people to just sign up and or make a new account. F2P should not mean easy access to hack and make a new account after.