We could make use of an additional class.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sheherazade, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Sheherazade

Hey there fellow Planetsiders,

I really like the currently existing classes but I feel like there would be room for more "jobs" on this big sandbox of a battlefield.

Feel free to post your ideas and continue to read if you want to see what I think would be a nice addition.

New Class: Psychic

Now before you get your pants twisted, Im not talking some weird mmorpg stuff, Im talking scifi soldier stuff so read on xD

Basically as this is the future and humans are already improved (for example death is no longer an issue) some are enhanced even beyond that... some say it was just an evolutionary step, a few other voices claim that secret experiments of the Vanu got into the wrong(or right hands) and helped create a new breed of human - while it is still in an early stage with the right tools they show remarkable talents that are useful in the battlefield.

Weaponry:

Main weapon and its certs:

Instead of rifles, carbines or Lmg's they use something entirely different - They get to choose from a set of technologically advanced "headbands" that increase their psychic powers enough to make use of them on the battlefield.

Differences in them are of course: Damage, Length of Ability use and recharge time ("ammo"). Certs are further standard upgrades to basic combat stats matching to the abilities

Now to the functions of the main weapon - You get to choose 1 of 2 abilities for the main weapon as its effect.

Effect 1: Pain - Simplyfied it is a direction psychic pain wave that does more damage the closer the targetted enemy is. This will be the "standard" machine gun replacement for psychics.
    Their damage is lower than any other weapon out there but can pierce through shields (while the heavy assault ability should probably be taken into account differently)

or

Effect 2: Sting - Long range slow attack variant. Shield pierce applies aswell and since it is more focused zoom certs would be a given (probably something like a contact lense or "on eye" zoom device with different effects).

Secondary weapon:

Normal Handguns - self explanatory. If the main weapon is recharging or gun combat is required you still get to do a little pew pew

Tool: Control Charge

non exchangeable implant type that is upgradeable via certs similar to MEDIC and ENGINEER tools (duration speed strength)

This tool allows you to take over an enemy character and see through its eyes, command it as if it was your own. You may only control one players character at a time and if you are attacked while trying to take over or while controlling the unit the bond will likely break.

Furthermore it is "channeled" like medic/engineer tools and the target struggles before being taken over which makes it easy for his allies to see that he is being assaulted and can help him out.

If the Psychic DOES manage to get control of the target he has up to a certain maximum time and can do his bidding with the player - Make him kill his own team, sabotage them or simply...suicide..but be warned pain that the controlled one feels is partially transferred and the psychic will take damage.

Furthermore the Psychic can not move himself while controlling and if he dies the control is released.

Utility/Grenades etc.

I couldnt come up with anything special here and I think the standard stuff fits.

Feel free to post your own ideas.
  2. forkyar

anything to complain.
  3. Goats

I like the idea, but I don't think it would really fit Planetside. Seems like it would fit more in a fantasy type game than a sci-fi FPS.
  4. LordBelak(!)

I don't like bringing in a supernatural element to Planetside 2, so I say NAY!
  5. Turel2

Not at the moment at least, the whole game needs balancing yet.
  6. Babaganoush

Crybabies

Special ability is to cry about how the opposing faction is OP.
    Demoralizes your allies by decreasing their accuracy and making them move slower. Has a chance of turning another class into a crybaby.
    If whining ability is used near an enemy, it has a chance to deafen them.
  7. ragingbear505

I think we should have a pet class, and a ranger, and battlegrounds, and an arena, and a gear grind, and raids, because this is an MMOfps guys and right now all we do is fps stuff on a big scale. I thought this was going to be like WoW with guns.
  8. Sheherazade

Well they are going to add player owned bases and resources farming for weapon crafting......

This is gonna turn towards World of Planetside faster then some might want it to so I thought I might hop that boat in advance lmao
  9. treeHamster

I think I would rather have like it like Voltron where a number of vehicles could come together to form a giant machine of destruction.

Also, your idea sucks because if you look at the two game types, Gandalf will always beat Magneto. If you don't believe me check out the interview Steven Colbert had with Ian McKellen on December 3rd. Therefore, your WoW characters would always win.

No, what I'd rather have is some kind of advanced version of each class. Engineers could build auto-turrents. LA's could get some damage reduction armor. HA's could have access to a lighter version of the MAX which moves faster and has shields (with less powerful weapons of course). MAX's could have their stats beefed up. Medics could...revive people...just kidding, no idea here.

Honestly there classes fill all the needed roles as is. Maybe just some new items would be all that's needed.
  10. Rothnang

I think the only thing PS2 is really missing is an infantry equivalent for air combat. It's simply annoying that the second you're dealing with airborn targetes every last one of them is an expensive vehicle that cannot be allowed to be easily killed but also has a huge cooldown, because it results in a situation where air defense duties are incredibly boring, and air supremacy is much too easy to achieve simply based on the fact that only fighters can really fight other aircraft effectively.

Something like psychic potential would be much better as a "perk" or some other permanent choice you have to make for a character. I personally would like it if there were some things about your character that cannot be changed at a whim, so you feel a bit more unique, and hey, everyone loves perks in Fallout, Skyrim etc.
  11. Gammit

The "headbands" made me lol, but at least OP is trying and not whining.