Something needs to be done about the Saran HRB

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zverofaust, Dec 8, 2012.

1. zverofaust

This weapon should not exist in this game. A hypervelocity laser bolt with zero deviation, damage falloff or trajectory dropoff, pinpoint accuracy and with a projectile so fast it can snipe aircraft out of the sky, snipe literally to the very edge of vehicle rendering range, headshot infantry and kill Sunderers in 5 hits. And that's just a *secondary* gun.

If you took the main cannon off the Sunderer and gave it only the Saran HRB, it would still be the best tank in the game by orders of magnitude.
    • Up x 2
  2. zverofaust

I meant Magrider, not Sunderer.
  3. Phyr

So what you're saying is, I should buy this weapon?
    • Up x 5
  4. Eugenitor

Yes. Give your gunners the gift that keeps on giving for Christmas.

DPS-wise, it's good, but not as game-breakingly powerful as the OP would like you to think. The refire rate is about the same as the MBT, and the explosion radius is small. It is a fast, pinpoint weapon, and it can be used against air- just ask the Reaver who thought he could do a 5m flyby and wound up in broken pieces- but that's exactly what tanks need. If you want your gunners to kill infantry, buy them the grenade launcher instead.
    • Up x 2
  5. forkyar

a tank is suppost to be more powerful then a sundie
  6. Bags

The devs said the secondary guns on these tanks are supposed to be worth gunning.

The NC / TR ones need to be brought up to par, not the Saran nerfed.
    • Up x 10
  7. Fleabag

You're right, something does.....it needs to put on top of the Thresher.

Can we haz Thresher back plzktnx developers? :)
    • Up x 2
  8. Babaganoush

I giggle how our Vulcan is supposed to be a chaingun

Yet it only has a 30 round drum
    • Up x 5
  9. Winterspawn

The Scythe sucks and the main cannon on the Magrider is very difficult to use agains other tanks on most terrains so we need that secondairy to be able to effective kill other tanks.
  10. Babaganoush

lol
    • Up x 6
  11. MasterD

Are you kidding me?
    • Up x 3
  12. Free

The problem isn't with the HRB. The HRB is a good thing. The HRB differentiates the VS from the other empires. The problem is that there isn't anything like the HRB for the other two empires.

Empire differentiation is a good thing. In Ps1 everyone understood that the VS were the best outdoors with armor, however the other empires had strengths of their own that players could utilize (NC indoors, their infantry farm capability indoor/outdoor). This is sadly lacking in the current state of ps2.
  13. Freyar

The problem with the Magrider's main gun is that it sits low. You hit terrain too easily.
    • Up x 3
  14. Foefaller

True, but I see that as a worthy tradeoff at having the control and straffing capabilities that only a hovertank could ever get you.
    • Up x 3
  15. gunshooter

both the magrider primaries and the saron are ridiculously easy to use compared to the guns on the vanguard/prowler
    • Up x 1
  16. Romalic

the slightest dip or rise in the terrain and you cant fire over it because the gun barrel is so low, your very limited in up/down movement on a slope again because of the low mount point, sure the mag has its good points, im not gonna deny that but people always seem to overlook the dificulty of firing the main gun because of its low position and say, oh thats rubbish, but its not, the number of times ive been gunning a mag and the driver hits the ground when firing is quite high, unless you have someone who knows that this happens.

you dont see this freewheeling around the WG as its perfectly flat there, its when you leave the road and have no possible way of shooting over cover, like the other 2 faction tanks can and need to make sure that you clear uneven ground, and then remember that the shot doesnt arc down as much so unless you have a CLEAR view, you aint hitting it

and the saron is just about the only viable weapon for top mount atm, the default gun is really low damage against armour, and lets face it air too, infantry have a better than average chance of living unless they are asleep, the halberd is decent anti armour damage but a bit slow, and the glow ball anti infantry gun is also very slow bullet velocity, making it very hard to hit a target
  17. Tantal

The Saron is not that fast. When shooting it you can see the beam fly and there is a definite delay before it hits the target. I would actually be very interested in an Enforcer vs Saron projectile speed comparison. Anyway, I would say that the bigger problem is that you as the target can't see the beam that well due to its size so it's difficult to dodge it, but there is a delay and I've had targets move out of the way plenty of times before the beam hit.

I'm not trying to argue that the Saron is bad, but it's not as good as the OP is trying to make it out to be. Then again this seems to be the common trend in "nerf it" threads.

Edit: Just checked OP's post history. All his posts are about asking for NC or VS nerfs and he actually made a thread asking for TR to be buffed. He's either a troll or just looking for everything that kills him to get nerfed.
    • Up x 5
  18. Lemonzzz

Only thing I can say to this is lol. The only air getting hit by the Saron are hover/slow flying noobs. Learn to fly your plane like it's supposed to be flown, and you won't be hit by the Saron. Not sure what you're worried about anyways, you can just rocketpod instagib the tank as air.

Infantry only die if they stand still, strafe and you'll never die to the Saron since it deals no damage unless it's a direct hit.

It's really on effective vs vehicles, which is what it's supposed to do. I see no problem with it.
    • Up x 1
  19. gunshooter

pinpoint accurate no drop no skill weapon user calling other people "noobs"
  20. Goden

I think it's kinda irreverent what gun you are shot by - if you fly your aircraft into firring radius of a tank then you deserve what you get.
    • Up x 4