Upcoming adjustments to Air vs Ground balance

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Flarestar

That would be fine, but irrelevant to this scenario, as in the end I'd still be getting the french fries I ordered.
  2. Eric Smith

QFT. Now you're going to have to use either the DumbFire Launcher (which is utterly worthless at range because of the IRON FRIKIN SIGHTS) or get a Decimator (which I'm assuming will have side-sights like Rocket Launchers are supposed to have).This feels like an attempt to sell Decimators to me.
    • Up x 2
  3. OrrwrenX

All hail the Matt Higby! HAIL!

But in all seriousness.... that is ******* awesome!!
    I understand that there have been a lot of complaints concerning aircraft, and yes it perturbs me to get easily obliterated by aircraft in general... be it rocket pods or lib bombings... but..

...They're aircraft. I'm all for balance but... (in my opinion) you're suppose to get ruffed up by tanks or aircraft when you're being careless.

Anyhow... DECIMATORS ARE COMING BACK! YES!!

Damn, what a nice way to start off the day.

Also, thank you for the decision to improve upon many of the AA capabilities, namely the A30 Walker..
  4. katuy

It is going to be interesting to see if the change to the lock on launchers means that air is even stronger than before. Now that the G2A launcher is only useful vs air I doubt most heavies will run with this default any more which means probably a significant drop in the amount of anti air running around overall. I don't see myself using the anti ground lock on missile at all because that thing 80% of the time will impact a tree or a small hill due to how low to the ground it flies and that it cannot be used in a pinch vs infantry. The default dumbfire rocket or the decimator will probably be the go to weapon now for HA as at least they can engage two of the three types of threats they encounter instead of just one.

I am glad the walker got an upgrade I purchased that for my prowler and every gunner who has tried it for me has hated it as it did so little damage to air units.
  5. TheEvilBlight

We already start with one. Why would I buy it over the starter HA dumbfire rocket system?

FWIW, the Decis in PS1 had three shots per tube and some cooldown between shots, but no pesky/tedious reload time.

Our ESAV from PS1 can be shoehorned into the AA role (even the NC, but single-shot Phoenix would only reliably kill weakened aircraft).
  6. Grixxitt

I'm pretty bummed about the forced lock-on effect now.

Even if my AA rocket cant damage tanks at least retain the dumbfire functionality so I don't have to swap rockets based on RANGE as well as vehicle type!

I will never buy your stupid new rocket because of the way it is being marketed to me, or anything else for that matter.
    (And I was actually a fan of the cash shop prior to this)
  7. Steppa

No, you would be getting a different set of fries.
  8. rGlory

Ok, I got pissed off by rocketspammer, went to weapons and bought CrapGuard because: "The CrapGuard fires 40mm flak rounds that are highly effective against enemy aircraft". When I start to use it, I learned the lesson - what it says in description completely unrelated. And from the forum I realize that "highly effective" it means it should deter. Fool me once.
    Lesson learned, so before buying Nemesis (by the way: "The Nemesis VSH9's intergated IFF capabilities allow it to quickly target and shoot down enemy aircraft" where does it say about lock?) I tried it and find it pretty useful. It can "deter", but not shoot down (who cares about description now?) but fine. But now even that does not work anymore. Fool me twice.
    Do you expect me to buy anything else? Really? Good luck!
    • Up x 1
  9. olievlekje

No dumbfire for AA or AV guided missles that kinda sucks.

were there so many peeps getting shot by dumbfire AA rockets then ???? that you guys had to nerf this.

Please give us a select switch for guided and dumbfire modes or remove the AA AND AV variant and make an alround lockon rocket

AA and AV guided rockets are situational at best with this incoming nerf they just sound sucky

And AIR is fine you guys just need to nerf the dumbfire rocket pods these are the point that everybody thinks air is overpowerd.

JUST NERF THE DAMN ROCKETPODS and then air is fine and making the radius smaller kinda does nothing they can still kill a sunder this way in 2 salvo`s.
    Change it from exploding rockets to something like napalm (damage over time field) or EMP a disrupt tanks and weapons and hud but doesnt kill, can even make a sunder stop working for a few min (as in no one can spawn on it)

but the current nerf/buff planned i think air still feels to strong

I have dumbfire rocket pods and they just feel flawed as in easy mode
  10. Eyeklops

I think they are trying to mitigate the "OMG...soo much newb lock-on weps in the field" problem. I can imagine once this hits many will drop the lock-on's in favor of the dumb-fires.
  11. Eric Smith

I'm with you there. They took away half the functionality of the existing AV/AA launchers and handed it off to the new Decimator. That's a bait and switch mentality. I'll be putting in for a refund of the AV/AA rockets. *IF* they give it to me *AND* the Decimator has side sights I will probably pick it up, but right now I'm feeling very gypped because I'm sure they won't give me a refund.
    • Up x 1
  12. beregon871

I guess certficate rebalancing is another issue...
  13. I'm behind you

Those of you calling out for refunds do realise you're probably not going to get one right? You do know that those terms and conditions you agreed to in order to play the game likely contain a clause that covers situations like this? No? Well what the hell did you expect? It's an MMO, did you expect for your purchases to stay the same forever?

I'm not defending SOE, but I have a problem when people just blindly agree to T&Cs only to cry ******** when it comes and bites them in the ***. You're welcome to ask for a refund, but you gave up the right to demand one when you hit "I accept".

Frankly you don't seem like you really understand it either. And oddly enough you've proved my point. If you have to send in ground to remove ground AA so your air can actually do anything then what is the point in sending air in at all?

If ground based AA becomes too powerful air will just disappear from the skies, as it'll be vastly more effective to just send in additional ground troops. This is compounded by the fact that infantry AA can switch roles with a quick trip to a terminal.

Why have A2G when it'll just get blasted out of the sky, why have A2A for the same reason. Ultimately you'll just have both sides completely denying the airspace above ground battles.
  14. Eric Smith

Which is only going to make Air *MORE* powerful.
  15. olievlekje

everytime someone shouts nerf air they mean nerf the DUMBFIREROCKETS

the rest actually needs a buff as most aircraft guns just plain suck if your used to the damage of the bloody dumbfirerockets

So with the up coming patch liberators are becoming even more useless
  16. BarxBaron

All I heard when I read this:

"We are buffing the living **** out of StraferRiders even moar! The rest of you tanks are effing doomed...........oh and that lockdown ability? We made this rocket with that ability in mind because so many Prowlers use it and it needs moar counterz!!111oneone!!11"

GOOD JOB SOE.
    • Up x 1
  17. Eric Smith

Why have G2A when it'll just get blasted from the sky? Why have G2A when it's utterly worthless against other Ground Units? That's roughly the state of the game as it stands now - unless you happen to get a *HUGE* mass of G2A, but this usually only happens as the Zerg is ramping up, and usually is quickly followed by Continental Abandonment by the outnumbered factions.
  18. Collin

no its not! I think there are good changes and make thinks easyer. If you get an AA Rocketluncher it will be used for using anti air and maybe pilots don´t use the flairs that often no more and with the longer ranges you can get a kill or two.
  19. MadInkhorn

That’s fine with me, the problem is to make a change like they did and not offer a refund. I don't mind having the option to use either a dumb fire launcher or a lock-on launcher but what I spent money on is not the same and should be refunded. It's like buying a car and 2 weeks later they take away its ability to turn.
    • Up x 2
  20. Bullwinkle 01

Did you even read the whole list of changes? The DID THIS. The reduction of core blast radius from 3m to 1.5m is a NERF. Congrats, they gave you what you wanted. o_O