Looking for performance estimates for upgraded system

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by MykeMichail, Dec 5, 2012.

1. MykeMichail

About to upgrade my system. After the upgrade, I will have:

i7-3820
    16 GB DDR3-1600 MHz RAM
    Asus P9X79 LE Motherboard
    GTX560 Super Overclock
    SSD

Curious how people think the game will run
  2. Jac70

Performance should be good - believe it or not the limiting factor in that setup will probably be the CPU.

I would estimate your performance to be on a par with mine as our CPUs are essentially the same as far as this game goes. So expect a minimum 60fps in most situations with occasional drops in heavy battles and crowded areas. Overclocking that CPU would probably bring a significant boost but performance optimisation is ongoing.
  3. Ckorus

Personally, I'd get the 3770k and upgrade the gfx card a bit. Not really much difference between the 2 cpu's but that's exactly why I wouldn't spend the extra on the 3820. Maybe stretch to a 570 or a 660ti?
  4. Ckorus

Also, a 3820 isn't unlocked. A 3770k is (so is more overclockable). Anything with a 'k' at the end is unlocked for all the overclocking goodness :)
    • Up x 1
  5. Jac70

Yes, I missed that, OP go for an i5 or an i7 with a K suffix to allow for easier overclocking.
  6. MykeMichail

Actually it is unlocked. I was suprised too. There is no 3820K. A lot of people refer to the 3820 as a 3820K because its unlocked, but its just called a 3820. The box even says "Unlocked and Unleashed" as a selling point.

I've already got an over-powered power supply, and I'm getting a better heatsink than I need, so if I do decide to overclock, I can. But I doubt I will.

The 560 I will have in there is actually my current card. I'm going to upgrade peice by peice. Mobo, processor and RAM come first because my CPU (i5-750) is whats really holding the system back right now. Video card can wait, because whilst flashy graphics are nice, I rarely run games at max settings even if I can.

I considered getting a 3770K, but I didn't want to get an 1155 socket motherboard, as in the future I'd like the option to upgrade to an Extreme Edition i7 like the 3960X, which quite honestly I can't afford right now!

The P9X79 LE supports 2 x16 PCI Express slots so I can run SLI in the future, so when the time comes, I'll probably put 2 670's or maybe 680's in there, depending on how much cash I feel like parting with at the time.
  7. Gaseous Snake

Somebody was just complaining that they had a 20+ fps drop with their i7-3770k from 70+ in heavy fights all the way down to about 30-40 fps. If I were you I'd wait another few months and give them a chance to optimise the game first.
  8. LordMondando

Yeah your kinda mad or have far too much cash to burn (i'd suggest donating some to charity) if your going to upgrade to an i7 for planetside 2, when there are clearly serious optimization issues just a week into gold launch, and I might add, no guarantee it'll even work.

Personally I'd at least wait till this optimization patch (news of which has leaked out today) comes out.
  9. werzinator

Isn't the i7 overkill, even for PS2?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would be better off with an i5-2500K (if you want to OC), or an i5-3570, and spend the money you saved on a better GPU (GTX 570 at minimum) so that when PhysX is re-enabled, your GPU can take over the physics calculations.

I think one of the main reasons a lot of us have performance hits is because PhysX isn't enabled :\
  10. TheEvilBlight

My semi-new lappy (ha ha, the nub is playing on a lappy!) has a Sandy quad i7, and from time to time bottlenecks out. I don't think the QM Sandys are that much worse than their desktop counterparts, but I suspect the answer is that the game has a long ways to go to be optimized.
  11. Ckorus

In that case, still go for the 3770k (really, no difference to the 3820 really) and put the saving towards a better gfx card or PSU. The 3770k is really the only i7 to go for this generation (however, the i5 3570k is amazing (I have one) so that may be worth a look at as well). There is no point spending more money when you don't have to.
  12. Ckorus

Also, (I really should read fully before posting first time!) the 1155 socket is the most popular for now and a 2011 socket really isn't worth it. Neither is the 3960X. Trust me, the 3770k is a great proc and you will notice a HUGE performance increase with that cpu. After that it's all about diminishing returns, which the processors above it certainly have.

In my opinion:

Best value: i5 3570k
    Best performance without going crazy: i7 3770k
    Pointless purchase: Anything above the 3820.

Might be worth pointing out that the 2011 socket is likely to last a lesser amount of time to a 1155 socket, due to fewer available parts. Also, the 3960X is a sandy bridge unit not ivy bridge. All in all, the 3770k wins in my opinion.
  13. MykeMichail

3820 is actually cheaper than the 3770K at the store I'm going to.

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8814

http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=8969

But the 3820 has a larger L2 cache, and quadruple channel memory support.

The differences are actually minimal, with one of the biggest differences being Intel integrated graphics on the 3770K, which I will never use.

http://ark.intel.com/compare/65523,63698

On top of that, every Socket 1155 motherboard I looked at was more expensive than Socket 2011 motherboards with equivalent features (2x x16 PCI Express slots being the main feature I want).

All in and, I would actually end up spending more money buying a 3770K, and have less future upgradability.

Hoping that in the future, I'll be able to pick up a run-out model 3900-series for a few hundred dollars.
  14. Ckorus

Ah I didn't realise you were an aussie! In that case, if it's cheaper go for it. Price is always the most important aspect when building a pc really. Over here in the UK the 3770k is just over £200 with the 3820 at about 240 - 250 so I was assuming the same for where you live.

So after all that, I agree with your purchase. Now just go out there and get it! (also, message me with your fps on ps2 once it's built, I'm interested to know if your CPU is still the bottleneck or if it's the GPU (my cpu is always the bottleneck on this game for some reason).

Ckorus.
  15. Artifex78

Just curious, what are your current rig's specs?
  16. Noppa

Actually u are wrong, even when they arent unlocked those lga2011 socket proceccors have ALOT higher bus speed when comparing to sandy/ivy so they will overclock equal to em or even better.

Only problem with the lga2011 socket is the heat and the cost of the motherboards.
  17. MykeMichail

i5-750
    GA-P55A-UD4P Motherboard
    GTX560 Super Overclock (basically a Ti, its the replacement for the Ti actually)
    8 GB DDR3-1333 MHz RAM
    Running the game off an SSD.

I'm sure you will notice, that I'm actually just upgrading motherboard, processor and RAM right now - video card will come later when I have more money. If the game runs alright I might even wait for the 700 series to be released (assuming nVidia sticks with their current naming conventions for the next-gen cards).

Performance wise, I'm getting 70-150 FPS at the warp gate depending on how many people are around. Small fights (up to about 30 v 30) 40-80 FPS. And for the really big Biolab, Amp Station, Tech Lab fights, I'm dropping to as low as 20 FPS when it really gets heavy.
  18. LRyder2k6

Until they optimize the game more you need to be cautious in your expectations. I just upgraded to a 3930k and after overclocking it to 4.4Ghz my minimum frame rate finally stays over 40. It takes a seriously ludicrous amount of CPU power to run this game, I wonder if there are any setups that can achieve over 60 fps at all times.
  19. MykeMichail

Is that independant of graphical settings?

ie. if you dropped your settings to the lowest possible, would you still be getting only 40 FPS?
  20. LRyder2k6

Running shadows on low gives me some extra frames. Everything else doesn't make a difference though so I keep it on high. Using a GTX 680.