{DEVS PLEASE READ}Idea for the devs on the upcoming orbital Area denial lazer

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TribbleFluffer, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TribbleFluffer

Ok, so at one point during the beta someone mentioned that there was going to eventually be Orbital cannons for players to use as area denial weapons.
    Well here's what i came up with after thinking about it for a couple of weeks, sadly by the time i joined the beta only a few weeks where left, the it was too late, so i hope a dev sees this and jots it down as an idea.

1 to 3 Kilo Kilo LEO Stations (kilo kilo means kinetic kill platforms, you know, rods from god, basically giant cannons that sling rods of steel down at the planet or into space), instead of the big zappy lazer of dooms.
    Now, each station can be used by as many people as needed, however i think this should be limited to squad leaders who have certed for it, dont want people spamming fire from the heavens now do we...

Where is it?
    Each station orbits a section of continent...or 1 that orbits the planet an can only be used at a certain time during the day/night cycle on each map, in other-words, if you cant use it, its not overhead. (Example: Your on indar, the platforms over Amerish, only amerish can use it at that time)
    Make a new map, a small one about the size of an amp station, have multiple levels and objectives.

Who gets to use it?
    Every time the station comes over head players have the option of forming an assault squad, but the station can only hold say...3 FULL squads or the equal number of people for small squads, of each empire.

How do you get there?
    You take a shuttle, or a "sideways" insertion pod (boarding pod), the entrance to the shuttle bay is guarded by two turrets that the shuttle's have to destroy first, thankfully they are armed to the teeth.
    • Primary Objectives:
    1. Command center - controls everything, take this out and the enemy cant fire the platform unless they also control the 2ndary command.
    2. Power reactor - knocks out outer defense turrets and shielded doors, when disabled causes the lights in the station to go into emergency mode bathing the halls in the controlling fractions color but dimly.
    3. Armorys - controls weapons and where fractions can spawn, take one to gain a spawn point, or to resupply.
    4. KILO Alpha - Control this and it wont fire, or might fire for your side.
    5. KILO Beta - see 4
    6. KILO Theta see 4
    • Secondary Objectives:
    1. Medical Bay - fraction who controls the medic bay gains a slow regen like the biolabs, or anyone in the bay gets healed over time.
    2. Secondary Command center - control this to limit the choices for firing the main platform, if you take this and the main station will not be able to fire.
    3. (OPTIONAL)Communications Room - allow the players inside this room to either view live feed from camera's in the hallways or control centers, or black out communications, et cetra.
    4. Power Nodes- shield door blocking your way into the command center? crouch walk into a maintenance chute go follow it till you see one of these pups and blow it up, Shield door problem? Not anymore.
    capturing the station locks out other fractions for a certain amount of time, after which it can be captured again.

Possible Ideas:
    1. Limit weapon uses, Grenades and other explosives can pretty much cause a hull breach on a space station armored or not, shoot the right thing and boom, so no explosives, except maybe concuss and flash.
    2. Armored spacesuit that can be certed, allows user to move about the outside of the station to hatches and airlocks.
    3. Shuttles can be upgraded for armor and weapons and as spawn points, but limit spawning the shuttle itself to 1 per squad (not platoon, squad)
    4. Maintenance Chute's are station wide, allows you to go from point a to point b un-noticed but leaves you pretty vulnerable since you cant maneuver inside and your crouch-walking.
    Ok guys and girls, Thoughts? Idea's? Try to be HELPFUL with your critique, not slam me. Thanks.
  2. Phoebus

Here's an idea:
    NEVER, EVER, PUT THE HORRIBLE ORBITAL STRIKES IN PLANETSIDE 2.
    • Up x 1
  3. Fox234

Not a matter of if, but when. Its going to happen, its inevitable. All we can do is hope it doesn't break the game.
  4. TribbleFluffer

hence why i say, make it not a matter of who has the certs to fire the damn thing, make it a matter of who's skilled enough to hold the station so they can fire the damn thing.
    Sorry to hurt your feelings, but the dev's themselves already said it was in the works, it will happen one way or another, also remeber how i said dont slam, thats slamming.

Want to stop the rain of fire, take over the station, basicly this way i have proposed means it doesn't become a spam free for all for all empires but rather a battle to control a key tactical asset.
  5. Phoebus

But, horrible strikes deserve all the slamming in the world.
  6. TribbleFluffer

Cept im trying to keep it from becoming a "horrible idea" by making it an actual fight to use. The squad leader use would stop it from becoming a free for all spam fest, and the station map would give the chance to keep the enemy from using it, if you can hold the station or take over.
  7. Ace0

Sounds similar to the orbital station which was being talking about in PS1 Beta.

PS1 OS would not work in PS2.
    A lot of bases are to closed of, so you would not hit a thing.
    So i seriously doubt your going to do the same amount of killing as we were able to do in PS1.
    I am all for a OS if well designed, could put a stop or cause chaos to a big zerg.
    But only usually to those who certed for it(not cheap) and platoon leaders.
  8. Aghar30

just gimme mah space lazor
  9. PandoraAce

OP has been written without thinking how much work would have to be done to accomplish this. Basically you have your head so far up in the fantasy clouds you don't realize how games are developed. I already foresee a number of issues with that, never mind the immense amount of work of designing, meshing, texturing, testing and balancing such a massive addition. What you've done, is basically begged Devs to view your idea, then given them a bunch of nonsense. Don't get me wrong, there's a very huge amount of insanely huge things I'd like to see in game as well! But producing them isn't viable, because they are NOT gonna invest 20 people for a year to do ONE MASSIVELY different feature to the game just because it'd be cool.

Feasibility, is it worth it when you add up the man hours and cost it takes to make compared to what it actually means to the player base.
  10. Meiu

Using that same logic means BFRs are coming and will completely destroy this game like PS1.
  11. Meiu

In this game everyone would save up to cert into it no matter how costly it was, for the one chance they have at hitting a giant zerg of tanks or sunders right in the face with it. It would be spammed endlessly unless there was some really annoyingly ******** limiting mechanic to it.
  12. forkyar

if it was how it was ps1 id have no problem with it,make it 500 certs and have to have command chat,request re enforcements, up both of those to 400 certs each,grand total 900 certs,and the os would have a 3 hour cooldown after 1 use.
  13. Jac70

Well really only the Sovereignty would have the technical know how to create such a device. I say the Orbital Laser platform should be a VS only option. The other factions get nothing, I don't want to die via lasers from space.

Thanks for reading.

;)
  14. Fox234

Actually no. I say that because it has been confirmed orb strikes will be making a return. BFRs however have been stated as not returning.
  15. Tuco

When is a real sandbox MMORPG coming out?
  16. Rivenshield

My chief concern is not how lethal they are going to be, but who gets access to them and how, and how often.

In PS1 you could call down an orbital strike after you hit Command Rank 5 -- the maximum you could advance, and you had to lead a squad for quite awhile to get there. But in the latter years, everybody that had played was CR5, and OS's were all over the place. No AMS lasted more than ten minutes before being destroyed by an impossible-to-counter finger of doom from the heavens.

If they have a limited pool of OS's, every commander and his brother will use them with wild abandon before they run out. If they have a cooldown of an hour per cont, say, and there's an OS queue, the same. If they're tied into resources, the same again.

We have indeed heard that OS's are coming, eventually. I hope to God they've put in a good deal of thought into preventing them from becoming a game-wrecker.
  17. Iksniljiksul

Orbital strikes are very much needed to in order to condition people to stop clustering. I'm tired of supposed team mates all cowering behind a rock unable to accept a virtual death in a video game. Most stalemates could be won by the sensible use of CHARGE!

Orbital strikes are a set concept that will not be altered to some druggies idea patterns. They are from PS1 that's how they are going to act in PS2.
  18. Tuco

Yeah god forbid one player is within 50 meters of another friendly player.
  19. TribbleFluffer

No, Basically i thought about what they could do, give us super spamy lazers of doom, or give us something that adds to the game play. My head isnt in the clouds, but your is definitely up your a**. Take a hike, your not welcome in this thread.

Everyone thinks im asking for it, im not, the dev's announced it DURING THE BETA, They are coming, it is up to us to try to define HOW they should implement them, since no one is really helping and your all either bashing me, bashing the idea, bashing each other or bickering, ive asked a Mod to close down this thread.

I wanted, people to add GOOD, positive ideas...not all this bull-S*** negativity.

I've had enough, Topic closed. -_-
  20. DG-MOD-02

I am going to close this down. Please remember to keep posts respectful and constructive on these forums at all times as suggested within the SOE Forum Guidelines.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.