Cloaks are 100% invisible at low settings, This needs a Fix ASAP...Pictures Inside

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ImGladUmad, Nov 27, 2012.

1. VictoryTR

A reply to the QQ in this topic saying the cloak is rubbish

The cloak works amazingly at the minute. People don't tend to notice you unless they know you are there.

If the cloak sucks you are using it wrong. Try using cover and not standing out in the open like a total sheep. Open your eyes and approach targets thoughtfully. Control your engagements. Look before you run. Rely on your cloak as an assistant but depend on your ability to know your surroundings.

Spatial. Awareness.
  2. Tuco

Some of you might be unnecessarily running game on crappy mode.

AMD Athlon 6400+
    Nvidia 9800GT

I have been running with everything on low with shadows turned off. Game looked terrible. Yesterday I set graphics settings to:

Render distance at 1,000 in useroptions.ini

Graphics Quality: High
    Texture Quality: High
    Lighting Quality: High
    Shadow Quality: Low, not sure about this one
    Effects Quality: Low, not sure about this one
    Terrain Quality: High
    Flora Quality: I think I switched it off in useroptions.ini, flora had always been a FPS killer in everything I've played, not sure though.
    Model Quality: Low, biggest FPS killer I think
    Particles: Low, not sure about this one
    Fog Shadows, Motion Blur, Ambient Occlusion clicked off

...and I haven't noticed any FPS change. Still getting 15 FPS at warpgate, 40 FPS with nobody around, 60 FPS when flying high, and 10 FPS in biolab battles.
  3. Envenom

If you're playing Planetside on low you shouldn't be playing anyway. Time join the 21st century.
  4. ImGladUmad

I have 470 GTX.

Gladly SOE doesn't have that mentality or else, this game will be empty and they would lose money.
  5. wolfva

Well, if by constructive you mean, "This doesn't agree with my point so it's useless!" then you're correct. It's not constructive. However, if taken from the viewpoint of reducio ad absurdem, it IS constructive. The point being, the differences in visibility for stealthers is dependant in great part on the individuals machine. SOE made a game that is playable across a wide spectrum of gaming computers; I would hazard a guess it would be impossible for them to develop a game that plays equally well on those platforms. Well, unless they created an ascii game, or a text mud. To demand that SOE do something to fix a problem that is actually dependent upon our own computers is absurd.

Yes, I am bad. I'm not a very nice person. I try to be nice; I help people when I can. I've even saved lives. But I am also sarcastic and uncaring. I don't feel bad about that atall. Perhaps I'm a sociopath. But, oddly enough, I really could not care about your opinion of me. Go figure.

I will now direct you to my sig, specifically, "Operator error is not a bug." If the problem is, as I believe it to be and have seen no evidence to the contrary (and plenty of evidence in this thread to support), an issue regarding how individual computers process the game, then this is not a 'bug'.
  6. Jojotheclown

Assume much? I can play with everything set at high, but why would I when for me that makes cloakers 100% invisible
  7. Jojotheclown

You too assuming people don't know how to play. It's obvious that what people see as far as a cloaker is variable. For me at Medium setting it's not like in the videos posted, they might as well not be cloaked it's that obivous, yet on high they are 100% invisible at any distance.
  8. Haku_Sama

I play on low settings and I see infiltrators just fine. I can even still keep them in scope from 200m away. Maybe your rendering settings or something are messing it up.
  9. omgitsbees

You can't design a game around the lowest common denominator. I would rather SoE just tell low end system users to deal with it.
  10. Jojotheclown

Are you actually understanding the point? This is just like smoke grenades, by simply putting your settings on low you defeat a game mechanic.

So while you play on high and can't see through the smoke, someone on low doesn't see any smoke and sees you.
  11. Thinkharder

This needs a fix urgently.
  12. Ðeadite

I can confirm I had this problem too. Cloakers are not 100% invisible on low but much much harder to see to the point I can easily lose them completely when they cloak. I was wondering how others nearly always managed to track me when I cloaked. Not sure which is intended near invisibility or easy to spot if you are looking. Given the short duration you can cloak for I'd say the former - that would make cloak actually quite useful.

Upside is it forced me to switch to high settings and I get almost exactly the same FPS as lowest for some odd reason.
  13. Jojotheclown

Are you using invidia or AMD graphics card?
  14. omgitsbees

Did you even read the original post? This is about how people playing on low end systems can't see cloaked players. This puts them at a disadvantage, but again, that's not SoE's problem. Your comparison isn't the same thing at all.
  15. Figment

I've heard the complaint before, though I can see those distortions of the environment just fine, especially if they would be in motion, tbh. :x

Just as long as they distort or reflect a little bit. But I see what you mean in the first shots.
  16. Ðeadite

nVidia 570 with latest beta drivers.
  17. Figment

Not really, because by your argument you would suggest that someone playing on low settings would become invisible to others, whereas the argument is that they by default would have more trouble in game by being forced to play on low settings due to their hardware disadvantage.
  18. Jojotheclown

Yes I did and you haven't read much pasted the OP have you. The reason I'm asking about what hardware people are using is that for ME it is the opposite. If I play on low/med I see cloakers plain as day. Combine that with smoke and others things that don't draw at low setting I have an advantage that I shouldn't playing on low.
    So far, in my thread on this same thing, another person using AMD has the same effect, it's opposite of what others are experiencing.
  19. Aciada

taking the viewpoin of "educio ad absurdem" is barely applicable as your post was so off target, i personally would liken it more to the straw man argument, but i digress. Your point seemed to be that you wished to detract from the importance of the problem people where having. If multiple people are having the issue, that does not imply an inherant problem with the game, however they are still entitled to advice in an environment where people are not being hostile to them, even if it is in a passive aggressive manner. if a small proportion are having this problem, then hopefully it can be subjected to a bit of troubleshooting, and an appropriate fix or work around can be found, or at the very least the problem can be pin pointed. if a significant enough amount of people have the problem then it is up to the developers or other relevant department to provide assistance.

You have saved lives? good man, thats what i like to hear. But you know what? so have i. So have thousands of people everywhere, and that doesnt absolve you from any miss-steps you happen to make, i just happened to have pointed out yours this one time. If you are genuinly sociopathic then you have my sympathy, not that you care to recieve it of course, i know what its like to lack empathy via the conduit of my current partner who has Aspergers Syndrome, and the many people i work with in the community from day to day, however despite the fact that i personally am a tad jaded, cynical annd above all sarcastic from time to time, i tend not to let it affect others or use such social devices in order to passivly derail, or detract from the importance of, other peoples arguments or issues.

As you said however, you dont care about my opinions so as far as your concerned i have no more to offer. Good day.

Back on topic has anyone with the issue made a support ticket yet?
  20. Kakarot

when you said low, medium, high settings which setting are you referring to?
    texture? graphic details? there are 10+ settings that we can set from low to high, which one are you referring to? So I can test it out too.