SC unlocks not account-based?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by disky00, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Makaron

I dont think you got ignored... It's just that their twitter is being bombarded by tweets atm.
    Your tweet most likely vanished in the flood. ;)

Edit: Okay nvm. :D
  2. Emperor

I definitely am outnumbered in this thread. I was going to make another paragraphs-long reply about how the sentiments of this small group of people is not really accurate to the playerbase as a whole, especially in that the people who have no problem with this system would not be posting here, but as someone said earlier, "Why are you appointing yourself devil's advocate of this thread?"

Which is a fair point; I actually don't have any stake in this, because I have enough money to spend hundreds per character on the same stuff, if I so choose. I shall therefore let the people who do not have money to burn purchasing the same cosmetics per character have their complaint thread, especially now since MattG stated he'd bring it up. Just remember that, as he said, there's no promise of change, but I do hope you guys get a bone thrown to you.
    • Up x 1
  3. Sancus

Firstly, thanks for responding. It's appreciated.

I think the point is that things you've spent real money on should never be "lost" -- PS2 unlocks are not just for one character, they're actually character BOUND. There's no way to trade them or transfer them to any other character, and if you delete that character, it's like every cent you spent suddenly vanishes! I'm not aware of any other F2P game that works like this. Even the ones where you pay money for something that isn't an account unlock, you can trade it or transfer it to other characters, or transfer characters to other servers. If PS2 let you transfer your unlocks to another character on other servers, or transfer your character to other servers, I think that would make people feel better, though account-wide unlocks for weapons just make common sense.

The reason this is surprising everyone though is that the store says "Unlock". It doesn't say "weapon purchase". When people play a FPS game where your weapons are implicitly replaced EVERY TIME YOU DIE and you say you're "Unlocking" a weapon with a cash purchase, everyone is going to assume that it's account-wide. Why wouldn't they? It's an unlock, you're making the weapon available. You aren't buying a weapon for your character, like in an RPG. That's a whole different context.

You guys messed up the UI for the store horribly by calling everything Unlocks if what you really meant were Character-specific weapon purchases like in a RPG, especially since Alpha Squad is Account-wide, and set the expectation that things we spent real money on would also be account-wide.

Finally, yes, this should have been tested in beta. Seems obvious. I don't know why companies keep failing on this. Anything you don't test is going to come back and bite you in the *** -- this has been proven time and time again, and never fails. TEST EVERYTHING.
    • Up x 5
  4. Gortha

Well, this is like you scamming me!

Highby or some other Dev said during Beta, that Shop-Items will be Account-based and only Certs and BR will be Character based.
  5. Scorponok

ive never heard that statement...i didnt expect it to be over account anyway since its so cheap at current rate.
  6. Nintyuk

Yeah, I specifically asked about this yesterday in this forum because I couldn't find the Information ANYWHERE. I never got a Official response to my thread so I'm glad that I know now before I buy any station cash. I'll now Probably wait now before I spend any money to see if they either lower the cost or increase the worth of the unlocks. Because right now for the current prices It's not Worth enough only getting the digital item once.

A Digital item is worthless, The right to use that digital item IS worth something but I feel the right to use that digital item once Is not worth £5. I can buy A entire DLC off steam for that price and for the amount of content that feels worthwhile On the other hand I can buy a Weapon In TF2 for well under half that and I'm free to use that item forever no matter what team, Gamemode, Map or server. I can even Give that item to a friend to use. Planetside Doesn't have to have bargain bin prices but they have to feel worth the extra cost. Even If I don't ever create a Second Character Knowing that I could and my investment would be shared would be a comfort that would stop the purchase from feeling hollow.

I might still buy a shotgun though.
    • Up x 2
  7. ReptilePete

Dude, Smedley has hungry kids to feed. You are ******** about your Planetside accounts whilst he is under pressure to purchase all sorts of the latest designer fashion ware and accessories. I think someone needs to take a long hard look at themselves and re-evaluate their place in the world and their priorities.
  8. RyanMDanks

My priority is not to worry about the Devs family, that's his priority. Mine is to make sure that my money spent is worth it.

We may be a community, but we are not financially responsible for each other's families. Insinuating such is absurd. He is a developer. As such, he gets paid to develop games and make them playable for us. If that includes an in-game store, it's his responsibility to make sure people will purchase from that store.

My priorities are my family and my job, they are not his, nor are his mine. He wants to feed those kids, give me something worth buying.
  9. RottenGroinArea

Given that server access is restricted by population they are withholding items we have bought and paid for
    if we are not guaranteed to play on characters where we have paid money.

This especially applies to boosts that continue to time-out even if the player cannot access the server due to
    population constraints.

If SOE wants to be greedy then I will vote with my wallet and not give them any more money.

Remember, kids, it's all about short term gains and longevity be damned.
    • Up x 1
  10. ReptilePete

O really? well, that's a small part of whats wrong with the world at the moment, some people are so selfish. Honestly.
  11. RyanMDanks

How did we go from purchasing items in an online digital store to fixing the world's problems?

Perspective, dude. We are obviously tackling a much, much more specific issue here.
  12. ReptilePete

That's just so narrow minded. Look, all I am saying is, Mr Smedley has his own financial needs to take care of, I don't see why you all insist on bringing him down, just because you cant transfer a five buck internet purchase to a different server. Kids education is expensive you know., then theres the piano tuitition, the skiing trips, the tennis tutor, it just never ends.
  13. RottenGroinArea

Thread hijacks from bored people that should be working instead of effing off notwithstanding:

Best thing we can do as a community is spread this information far and wide.

Word of mouth makes or breaks these types of virtual products, if people don't spend money
    SOE will be forced to reconsider the idiotic, greed based, policy.
    • Up x 2
  14. RyanMDanks

I have a feeling you're being facetious, but if you're not...actually, I'm not getting into it.

I never said Smedley's name. Devs come and go and have specific duties, that's an internal issue that I am not included with. I had a complaint about the game, which most people in this thread agree on, and I voiced my concern as a customer, and will continue to do so regarding this issue.

I'm fine with spending money on this game, I just want those expenses to be worth it. Right now, they are not.

That's the last I'll speak on the well-being of the devs regarding the store, which makes no sense for us to discuss anyway since we have no way of knowing any of the specifics. As far as we know, they don't get a commission from what sells, they get a salary from Sony.

Can we please stick to the issues?
  15. Phoenixia

Boy am I glad I only bought a 250 SC gun so far. There's a few circumstances regarding the game that's prompted our outfit to reconsider our server choice so if we moved elsewhere that's my 250SC down the drain... Scratch that, it's my own money down the drain.

Will definitely be waiting on this issue before spending any more and topping up my SC funds.
  16. RottenGroinArea

I'm posting this info on a number of forums right now.

If SOE wants to play it this way they are going to find far fewer suckers to spend their hard earned money.
  17. t1ck

ive never heard that statement...i didnt expect it to be over account anyway since its so cheap at current rate. (Scorponok)

Not every one has money to throw around. so we spend 5$ 10$ ........ to get what we want. then the sever sucks or what ever. Its not fair to have to do it again.
    • Up x 1
  18. Valeriu

I am with other people, make unlocks account bound or see no more money from me.

I dont object to charging,i object to being fleeced.
    • Up x 3
  19. serith78

Really disappointed to find out that SC unlocks are limited to a single character instead of being account wide. I bought some weapons already playing with friends on the Connery server. If they stop playing and I want to join a Vanu outfit on another server I have to buy the same things again....that's ridiculous. Likewise, if work hours change to the point where I'd be better off on NE East or EU server, being punished by having to buy the same weapons again is really discouraging.

These unlocks are far from cheap, average of $7 for weapons and $5 for cosmetic items. At that price level I'd expect them to be account wide. Planetside 2 is a very group dependent game, players shouldn't have to choose between their unlocks and finding a group that fits them in the right time zone. Likewise players shouldn't be penalized for playing with a different group on another server.

I was originally planning to pick up quite a few weapon unlocks with the expectation they would be account wide. Finding out they are character only I am re-considering these purchases. It's far better for player retention and long term profits if players can buy cosmetic or weapon unlocks and know that they will still have them when creating characters or jumping to a new server. Making it difficult for players to play with friends or find the right outfit is never a good idea.
    • Up x 2
  20. Sadim

I feel sorry for the people that bought stuff and then deleted what they bought to reroll or move servers but...

You need to get into the habit of thinking before you do things. Not assuming you get account-wide items when you aren't told you will be. Asking people around you or friends if they have information you need. Finding a server you like and testing the waters before you buy something for the character.

When you are buying something digitally in any game you need to think and ask yourself "What will I be getting? Do I know how many uses it has? How many items I can use it on? How many characters will get it?"

The only thing I think they really need to redo and relook at is how certain weapons don't have all the attachments and give no hints what attachments you will be able to use for a weapon when you trial it.