Regular cheaters

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Spandex4all, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Spandex4all

Lately I've been seeing more cheating activity. Those who are obvious: flying, noclipping, aimbotting .. you know it's cheating when you see these.

I am fond of PlanetSide and it's one of my favorite games otherwise I wouldn't be coming back since there is no other game on this level. With that being said .. these cheaters are causing more and more frustration. Rendering the game into @%$#^ without any joy to experience at all. Especially during off hours where the population is thin to begin with.

A question to DayBreak. Why .. WHY isn't anything being done to cheaters? You may say you're busy behind screen trying to block/ban/etc. But every single time they are able to run free for hours until the cheaters gets bored of finally banned. Those hours you're starting to lose more of your player base.

Can't we have assigned player based mods or something? I'd be willing to apply and follow whatever procedure required to (temporary) ban someone until a DayBreak employee confirms it and turns it into a permanent ban?

At this point anything is better than what the game currently is. I'm on a lunch break thinking hey why not let off some steam by playing my favorite game? Guess again, 5 minutes in and I get headshotted at 300m range before I saw him literally go through a wall and part of a mountain, up 100m in the air and BAM. Dead.

DayBreak. For the love of God, Auraxis, whatever you believe in .. DO SOMETHING.
    • Up x 9
  2. iblade

The problem with in game mods, the room for abuse is too great.. How would they know someone is aimbotting.. Yes the flying sundy or the flying max is obvious. But how would you know in game that someone was aimbotting?? Just cause you got shot, there are really good players that seem they hit head shots all the time, doesnt mean they are cheating just that they are good at aiming.. Having a Mod banning players under false claims would be more detremental to the game than 1 cheater. And what happens if that Mod's name is leaked somehow to the player base? He/she would be hunted continuosly.. What the game needs is a better system that can identify these hacks and programs. Im not a pc guru or anything, but I would think that it could be done
    with how todays programmers are.
  3. DocRetro

Confirmed.

Cobalt has been unplayable for a week because a cheater terrorizes the players there every day.
    He changes his name daily and reporting him has no effect.
    Even sending in videos by mail brings nothing.

I repeat again: Since one week!

When he is online, many other players leave the server or go offline.
    Finally do something!
    • Up x 1
  4. Egypte

He's ruining Cobalt since last friday, right now it's totally unplayable.

I'm worried about the 11th anniversary that's coming soon and the potential new and old players who are going to come for the event and assist to that...
  5. FLHuk

For the obvious flying aimbotters. Load PlanetSide 2 - Players find the dick, load his kill feed and link it to cheater@planetside2.com

Done this all week on Cobalt and they're all removed within 30mins.

Help them help you and make it a chore for the ********.
  6. Spandex4all

There are chances of having mod abuse, hence the procedure that has to be followed in order to catch cheaters and have proof of it. The way I see it work is that someone starts getting mass reported. Mods can see that to turn on their observation camera to follow the cheater around .. you see them doing impossible things, record + ban. There has to be positive confirmation to prevent abuse. I'm talking about the obvious ones easy to spot since their sole purpose of cheating like that is to bully not caring about being caught.

I'll try emailing there hopefully that'll be quicker. What I've seen so far is that the cheating goes on and off into hours. When one is reported, there will be another in 10 minutes using a different account.
  7. Ps2 player

decided to log on late tonight on emerald, ran across some outfit i never seen before IIIV, Mind you ive faced all the tank mains of emerald and killed them all, as they do me.

it didnt come across my mind until it became very consistent that these guys where shooting me off my javelin over 200m, multiple times, all different players in their little tank group they had (4 people) i didnt bother filming it but now i wish i did because it was pretty sus, as all the tank mains ive faced even the sweaty magiridans outfit doesn't do that to me consistently, next time i will, and i have a way to proove if this is true, you are able to exit the javelin mid air keeping velocity as the javelin, allowing yourself to enter back into the vehicle, so if their aimbot is locked onto my player model and not the actual vehicle then its pretty suspicious.

i called them out on this susness and they all of a sudden started killing my vehicle instead from then on.

fighting them with a tank you would never know if they had aimbot equipped because they are shooting your vehicle, where as an open seat is a different story even when your running the right equipment and armor.
  8. Ps2 player

your speaking in generalized conclusions that make it sound like there is no other solution than your input.

"The problem with in game mods, the room for abuse is too great.."

No, this is constantly thrown around and its not hard to actually put someone through application process just like everything else in this world, AKA a high end job.

"But how would you know in game that someone was aimbotting??"

most ps2 players play like level 10 orcs, its not hard to spot a cheater when its super consistent, and not just good thats the problem with this community and why cheaters run rampant in this game because theres dorks who shut it down all the time, your only helping your ego, and helping the cheater be hidden.

"And what happens if that Mod's name is leaked somehow to the player base?"

Mods have acess to developer tools, they can fly around, and im pretty sure they can spectate you actually playing the game in first person view just like you play the game without you even knowing it, they can ping where you are by typing in your name, they can change their name at will as well, they can be invisible, phase through objects if needed.

entrophy, and i forgot the fat dev they had on their team that left awhile back, would actively moderate the game and do most of what i just said (ive seen them flying around during the days when people placed routers underground or got under the map with ESF's)

that being said they probably cant pay a guy to do that anymore as they used to have a dev moderate the game.
  9. MonnyMoony

My question is - why cant this stuff be detected automatically and the perpetrator weapon locked until it can be investigated formally?

For example - the game has the ability to detect "out of bounds", so surely it should be trivial to tell the game "if a max is in the air and moving anything other than down towards the ground - it is out of bounds and likely cheating". Same with other infantry units.

Also - can the game look at what typical stats are and flag clear outliers. If somebody is killing 100 people a minute with a 100% HSR and no deaths, no damage, no redeploy to reload etc - surely that is suspicious. The game can detect stat padding and can takes action - so why can't it also detect obvious cheating using similar data.

For example - a cheater LA who killed me the other day has the following stats:

KDR: 37
    1v1 KDR: 51
    Infantry Accuracy: 48%
    HSR with TRAC5 (at range): 63.5%

Sorry - but those are well beyond even a highly skilled vet.
  10. FLHuk

As with last time. The moment you introduce an auto system someone concludes it's "fun" to test the legal boundaries.

They then make a video highlighting legit play being banned and the damage is done.

I agree, it's odd that a flying max isn't a thing in its own right but 2012 game.... Not an excuse but it might be a reason.
    • Up x 1
  11. Effect

Then the devs should tune the autoban system so that simply being good is not within the bounds of being banned. There's absolutely an upper limit to what even the most skilled players can accomplish.
    • Up x 2
  12. UberNoob1337101

If they just had SOMETHING, gave cheaters the slightest bit of difficulty to break the game, it would be great.

As it is on Cobalt rn, cheaters stay on for hours, ruin fights, make hundreds of players log off and only leave when they get bored.
  13. FLHuk

Again, look at where we are.

We have a directive system that directly rewards odd gameplay. Those guys with 5k scores are going to have "fun" testing the limits of any auto system.

We're just too far down the road for any radical new system. Sure i'd happily trade the dev effort put into Oshur for a better admin system but done and dusted, over, gone.

The sooner we devote our efforts to using what we have rather than idea threads/posts the better. A bit like how we're now only getting hotfixes....
  14. UberNoob1337101

If they can implement changes like revive tether "bugfix", add the 69th NS-11/15 reskin, they can definitely afford to improve the game by adding at least a semi-functional anticheat.
    • Up x 1
  15. FLHuk

Sadly if that were true we'd be there already.
  16. Liewec123

I've pulled strings in work and managed to get Friday night off to play
    but as the majority of my toons are in cobalt and DBG are inept at stopping a single scriptkid
    from burning the entire server down I have serious doubts about how much fun i'll actually be able to have...

Seriously DBG, you expect people to pay 9.99 a month when you let one guy empty a whole server for over a week?!
    Do something about it...

Or hey mithril check your official leaderboards every once in a while and ban the idiot with 'soldier' in his name.
    Because he's been on every day for a week, always cobalt, always a 'soldier' name
    and it should be very easy for you guys to see this irregular performance and ban him.

I think it's about time you brought back the high performance auto-banning,
    it wasn't perfect but it's better than the utterly lack of anything we have right now...
    • Up x 4
  17. MonnyMoony

Exactly.

Staying airborne as non-LA infantry isn't legally possible by even the most skilled player - and it's certainly not possible to move upwards whilst airborne. Surely it's easy to distinguish between a range of motion that is legally possible (like bailing from an aircraft) and non legal movement.

Same with warping. There is a maximum speed at which players can legitimately move. If the game detect people moving at a significant percentage above that speed by warping - surely that indicates a cheat.

Very high HSR% are possible with weapons like bolt action sniper rifles, but full auto weapons - particularly at range? Some of the best players I know of only have HSRs in the high 20s. HSR close to 50% for full auto weapons must surely indicate something is suspect.

Shooting through landscape, walls and spawn shields should be trivial to detect since the game already implements collision detection.

Stopping people from camping inside wall and beneath terrain should also be easy to stop by making such areas 'out of bounds' - again a mechanism the game already has.
  18. Effect

I wouldn't agree with this. 20% HSR is only a little above average and there are no shortage of good players who can hit above 40%. When nanoweave was a thing I pretty regularly high 40's and I was not even close to a top end player. With nanoweave gone I've lost about 5% HSR across the board (but my overall accuracy is about 5% higher).
  19. UberNoob1337101

100 kills under 7mins, 40 K/D, mf shoots through walls and aimbots, has an alt that has +2000 kills this week.

Must be a good gaming chair right?

Back to Miller TR I go...
  20. Spandex4all