[Suggestion] Total damage dealt to vehicles should award the final kill

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SmittyJensen, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SmittyJensen

I'm running into an issue that is becoming much bigger recently, fellow TR players are just sitting around in their tanks or hovering overhead in Libs doing nothing while I whittle away at a vehicle.. usually a Sunderer. After the next to last shot they throw in a quick shot to 'steal' the kill and get full credit for the kill. Then drive/fly off.

Literally their only effort is the final shot and they are patient to wait for anyone to whittle down the vehicle to that point.

So could we change what constitutes a vehicle kill not to the last shot that destroys it but to the majority amount of damage dealt? Look at total damage dealt and say you do 95% of damage and they do 5%, it awards you to the kill even if they take the final shot. Trying to complete directives and ribbons is already difficult... throw in lazy players who want to take ones where you did 98% of the work just makes it worse and horribly frustrating.

I'm not talking about situations where we're in high combat, but in more quiet situations where they could have easily helped through the time of me shooting at the enemy vehicle. Instead they chose not to .. only wanted the kill. Of course I want the kill too, but I also put in all the work minus the final shot.
    • Up x 5
  2. Halkesh

Instead of a fix like what you propose, I think it should be better to make ribbon, medal and directive based on xp instead of kills.
    • Up x 9
  3. CplRDaWiggy

I get what OP is saying, doing the work and taking the risk only to have some Zap Branigan type show up to take the glory is a right pain in the ***.

Though I'm not against Halkeshs' idea either.
    • Up x 2
  4. SmittyJensen

That would work too, I suppose.
  5. InsanePsycho

That is a great suggestion. If you damage a target and the target dies, yet you were not the one to get the final hit; you should still get kill credit. Or like Smitty said, where the person who inflicted the highest amount of damage gets the kill credit; that could work too.
  6. Halkesh

An other solution could be to give the kill credit to the killer but he will only get the xp based on his damage. If you only did 30 damage to a LA you'll get 3 xp from that kill and the guys who assist you have to share the other 97xp.
    The main con of the idea is it will reduce the xp generation.
    • Up x 2
  7. Vulpecula07

I always had this thought.
    Like: you do over 75% damage, the other guy took the final bit, both of you should be rewarded the kill.
    • Up x 1
  8. Tupeistul

It happend to me a few times and is frustrating, but i also thought about next thing: if you make 95% dmg and somehow the vehicle owner manage to run away, it will no longer be destroyed without someone doing that 5%. So all the work you did will be for nothing. I think it's pretty hard to implement something thay takes all this variables in consideration. I think it would be a good idea to keep giving the kill award for those who get the lh, but to make exp gain based on dmg outpu and not on kill/assist.
  9. Daigons

For me it's a royal pain to work get any tank kills while working on Lightning directives. You do all the work while a LA, HA or MBT sits back waiting to steal a free kill. MBTs are the worse since they'll actually race in between you, block your killing shot in order to steal the kill. In response to the greedy MBT actions as of late, I ceased killing the various C4 Infantry that bum rush the MBTs.
  10. Liewec123

this has been a problem forever and is one of the reasons why hardly anyone bothers doing the rocket launcher directive,
    because it takes so painfully long to kill vehicles with a rocket launcher and someone else always comes along to steal the kill,
    usually not for any credit, the smoke just draws crowds and they should be trying to kill the vehicle.

i do agree that there should be a precentage of health (lets say 70%),
    that if you deal damage over that percentage you get kill credit when the target dies
    (along with whoever got the last shot), this should be for both infantry and vehicles.
  11. HYPERBAD

I also think there should be a "Assist counts as kill" feature like there is in Battlefield. I know KDR is the last thing that should be on your mind in a game like this but its so disheartening to unload half a mag into a guy just for a teammate to come running around, fire ONE shot at your target, and walk away with the kill while you're slapped with a Kill Assist despite you having been the guy that put in all the hard work.