Should I join a Outfit?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mianera, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Mianera

Hello forumside,

I have pretty much played and been a subscriber since launch. However, with nearly 3000 hours invested in the game over three toons (VS, TR and NC) all which are BR100+, I am beginning to consider joining a outfit as my directives grind is coming close to an end.

I consider myself an average player, maybe slightly above as my K/D is usually around 2 (I mostly play infantry).
    I know every base on every continent by memory and every route to every cap point. I have pretty much everything unlocked and fully certed, typically though I am a sundy driver as I understand the importance of a well parked sundy in both offense and defense. Mostly though, because I hate to have to run far.

I haven't been part of a outfit, mainly because I felt (perhaps wrongly) that outfits require you to play a certain class or pilot a specific vehicle depending on what they are up to.

But mainly my own playstyle would have probably conflicted, as I am a huge fan of long lasting infantry fights and not really interested in who caps a base or wins an alert. As mentioned above, I really needed those infantry kills to push the directives and therefore, a lot of redeploying as well as avoiding vehicle combat has been my focus the last 2 years. Like really, I am a huge fan of redeploy and instant action.

I have also seen a lot in Planetside over five years and at least on Miller, it is hard not to notice recurring actions from the outfits, and I am not just talking about the immature but also hilarious taunting in /yell chat. One part in particular, is how the factions attract different playing styles.

My humble observation (and gross generalization):

- VS attracts the most solo-players but also a high amount of skilled players
    - TR attracts the most team oriented players, and the amount of teamplay witnessed is incredible
    - NC attracts the most new players and friendly fire, and are overall just terrible.

But I have seen Galaxy drops, jump pad rushes and MAX crashes fail against the VS.
    I have seen the NC outnumber VS 2-1 and still not be able to push a objective.
    And for the most bit TR and NC seem to past BR100 be flooded with players that play HA with auraxim armor and then only use the MSW-R or Anchor.... basically hiding in their safety bubble, not exploring directives (which is fine, I guess).

But after all these years of solo play, I honestly don't know what Outfits offer. I mean, I know most of you here are going to say "tactical team play" which certainly takes you a long way, but forgive me for saying so... after years and years of FPS, I am a believer of that in Planetside, tactics are limited to a point and at this point, skill does surpass tactics (in this game). I mean, you can pull any tactic you like, if the enemy team still kills 2 of your team for every time they kill 1, you won't be succesful in whatever you are trying to do.

My main concern is basically; I don't want to be part of an Outfit if:

- I am not allowed to play the class and use the weapon that I am currently grinding
    - I am forced to do vehicle combat which I have very little interests in (unless it's flying, that I love)
    - I am always required to join platoon and follow waypoints the moment I log on
    - Platoonleaders/Outfit leader have a poor understanding of when a fight is lost

I completely also understand that this game isn't catered to players like me, and some of you might wonder why I play this game, but the thing is I absolutely love the infantry combat in Planetside. It is unique and there is no other FPS quite like it.
    Also, if I was to join a Outfit, it would probably be on my VS toon, maybe my TR. Sorry NC, but I have no faith in you.

So... what do outfits offer these days, and would I even fit in?
  2. adamts01

If you don't want to play as part of a team then don't join a real outfit. If you only need outfit directives then just join a zergfit, they don't care about much at all.
    • Up x 1
  3. Prudentia

I mean, all most outfits offer is a place to chat with people while playing and have people at the ready if you wanna do something together like pulling a Lib or doing a gal drop for **** and giggles. most outfits that run around pretending they are some kind of military group usually end up dead in a month cause people get tired of that stuff when they can't have fun.
  4. JobiWan

A lot of outfits run public platoons, why not try a few and see how they suit you? Also a lot of outfits have OPs nights where you're expected to follow orders but also more casual squads where you can just follow WPs and do what you like within reason.
  5. Mianera

Actually that's a great idea, I'll look into that.
  6. Ziggurat8

The real trick is to find an outfit that fits. My current outfit is bat**** crazy hilarious while being bad mofo coordinated. 25 years of gaming I haven't found a better fit.

You'll probably find a few outfits you hate. Just move along. Having fun good players at your back keeps me coming back even when the gameplay falters a bit.

Thing I never understood. You're playing an online game. Why play it like a single player grind fest?
  7. adamts01

I often end up playing solo, not by choice but because no one speaks English on Connery. I still prefer online games even if I am going solo just because of the challenge of facing other players. Going back to PvE against bots is just impossible.
  8. Insignus

There are a wide range of outfits.

Some, as you suspect, are pro-fits, where you're expected to be on mission and on-point.

Others are mid-fits - where things are still goal-oriented, but more relaxed, you aren't obligated to join the platoon, but they'd like you to, certainly.

Then there are casualfits - groups of people who just like to hang out and have fun.

Finally, there are zergfits, where you are expected to join the platoon and blindly follow orders. You will be yelled at regardless.

I'd suggest that you head over to redditside, to your server subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/wiki/communitycontent#wiki_server_specific_subreddits

Is a good list.

Post in there that you're looking for a mid-fit, your faction, and a bit about yourself, and see who bites.
  9. Mianera

I have plenty of social life irl so as for the grind fest? I like the challenge ;)