NC Phoenix round needs to explode on contact with the spawn room barrier

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Spekter, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Spekter

It's getting very old going up to an NC controlled base with 3 Heavies in each spawn room shooting your armor through trees and around rocks.
    If they can fire on your armor they need to be able to be fired back on.
  2. JibbaJabba

It seems you feel strongly about this. You OK with the Striker not being able to fire at aircraft through the spawn shield too?
    • Up x 6
  3. chamks

i love the phoenix too much and more than i hate to fight against it. its my to-go and i stand HOURS sniping infiltrators and armor with it. with sad heart i say keep it that way and dont nerf it. its the first thing i bought with my nc chr. hhaaaa this freacking space controll rocket is op. nc are op.
  4. Bloodlock

well... My opinion is, any weapon, bomb, rocket, stone, stick... should hit the spawn room barrier from both sides...
    • Up x 1
  5. JibbaJabba

This is basically the way it was when the game first released. Spawn rooms were also enclosed with only a single door out, no windows, no roof stuff. The spawn camping was epic. Todays players could use a single squad to spawn camp the better part of a platoon into submission.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bloodlock

spawn camp happens because low I.Q squad leaders...with all the bases around and the hability to place a sunderer on another place... air support to clear the spawn area... snipers... etc... when a side Zerg a place, the def move I see most is a bunch of harassers destroying all the enemy vehicles in minutes... and the a MAX crash recovering the base... but with all the nerfs this game is turning into an Airsoft Simulator... ಠ__ಠ
  7. JibbaJabba

But... I think the solution here is not to park your armor where the phoenix can hit it. If you read this and think, "but they can turn!" then I would recommend playing as NC HA for a while with the weapon to learn it's weaknesses. It has bad ones.

They don't turn for crap. At distances this can be a non issue. If you swing the missile wide, it can arc slowly back to something tightly behind a rock. BUT.. At closer ranges, trying to swing it wide will make it overshoot badly with no chance to hit.

The sustained DPS on them is on par with a potato gun. Because the reload time incorporates the entire flight time, you can out repair them. This is exacerbated greatly near the edge of range.

If left unattended a single HA will eventually chip down a Sundy. If an engy stops by, they can out rep it easily. It takes multiple HAs with Phoenix to seriously drop something at distance. But therein lies teamwork. Teamwork makes everything deadly in this game. It has nothing to do with the weapon itself.

Also think carefully about how this would affect other players. Those 3 HA that took down your sundy? They must stand stationary (and blind!) outside a spawn room for up to 20 seconds just to fire a single shot. C'mon man. Are you so selfish to ask this of other players so that you do not have to deal with the results of their teamwork?
    • Up x 3
  8. JibbaJabba

Mmm, sometimes. Sometimes it's just a raw population thing. Sure a clever squad leader will flank and pull something to destroy enemy spawns. That assumes the attacker isn't clever enough to defend them.

But, that's how it goes down today. In the past, it just took enough of a push to wipe initial defenders, then you could catch them all trying to come out of the spawn. Game over.
    • Up x 1
  9. Xada

I'm down with that change as long as we can keep the reloading while in flight.
    • Up x 1
  10. Bloodlock

I'm in favor for spawn room shield block dmg from both sides... and double the dmg and reload speed of AT, AA launchers... and give a invulnerable shield of like 3s to anyone when leaving the room after respawn... so ppl can leave the room under fire and kill someone after respawn...
    • Up x 1
  11. Halkesh

Remove the possibility to use it from the spawn BUT add the possibility to use it while outside of a safe area.
    Just make something like this, so phoenix user aren't transformed into target dummies while they use their rocket.
    You can still act normally, you still need to press E to "exit" the rocketview, moving the mouse change the direction of BOTH your rocket AND your character.

• Up x 1
  12. JibbaJabba

So, with some thoughts rolling in on this, I'm gonna have to say no.

The current design is working as intended and providing spawn camped players some recourse. This is only a problem for attackers if: 1. They park vehicles poorly, and 2. The defenders employ teamwork.
  13. typnct

you forgot something - to hit a sundy you need to expose yourself to threats
    to hit a sundy with a phoenix you do not expose yourself to any danger

if you cant hit with the phoenix because of the curve - shoot straight up and arch

also you cant outrepair everytime you want as you have more than just the phoenix on your mind, c4 fairies other tanks harrasers libs inflirtators all around you

in an ideal situation you can but if its 2 or more HA then you are prob screwed to fire or death

i believe that there shouldnt be any rocket launchers capable of shooting outside of the spawn area beside the basic one(dumb fire only) - no lock ons no nothing

the phoenix is hated by some and loved by some why?
    its threatless to use
    its capable of heavy dmg up to 300 meters(most tanks that will shoot you wont go beyond 200 meters - ideal range)
    it has a low dps but it can follow burning targets, move etc...

why is it hated? low dps - work in a team goddamit

imo - it should give less dmg per shot
    now before you are angry and all - this is the reason: you are posing no risk to yourself whatsoever while using it in the spawn room
    a coordinated attack can kill an entire force
    and it benifits the most important battle type in the game - ground vehicles
    tr - anti air... yea its so rare that i dont even want to talk about it - id rather take the skyguard
    dont get me wrong i like the striker but its use is so rare compared to the phoenix that its not really usefull - i take the decimator most of the time as it provides more dmg per shot
  14. JibbaJabba

A clever HA will not expose themselves to the target they are firing on, yes. This does not mean they are not exposed to threats. They are forced stationary for the longest time of any RL and blind while doing it. Sniper bait. Happens all the time.

I already described this in detail including the times when it can and cannot work.

Changing the behavior of the spawn room shield will not remedy these additional threats.

...Yes. Two or more of anything is generally going two wreck the efforts of a single something else. Whether it's NC HAs tag teaming a Sundy, or TR HAs ganking full Galaxies out of the sky with a Striker Valk.

It sucks to be on the receiving end of this, but it's exactly why Planetside rocks.

As a whole, the solution to this "problem" (quotes emphasized) is for the Sundy driver to adapt, rather than nerf a capability of the rocket launcher. Look, I face this too when I play VS or TR. Sometimes I'll forget, and a couple rockets will remind me. It's not game breaking.
    • Up x 2
  15. LordKrelas

3 seconds of invulnerablity means you can run invulnerable for 3-seconds with C-4, or any weapon without a damn.
    Which is either useless, as the Spawn Camp just has to be 1-second further than that
    -- or if the Spawn room is too close to the point, you have Defenders invulnerable basically at the point.

Not to mention, in 3 seconds, your opponent likely is still behind cover.
    and if you didn't kill the attacker(s) within 3 seconds, you will basically be screwed unless you die to attempt it again.

Not to mention, the Phoenix is the only Launcher that makes the user incapable of self-defense, perfectly stationary, and blind for the entire flight of a missile that can be shot down.
    Which also can only kill an Infiltrator in one-shot, everything else if it doesn't shoot it down, laughs.

Yes, it needs to be easier to see \ shoot, (The missile), but seriously don't empower spawn-camping or ensuring the weapon that puts the user into a state of blind vulnerability, be unable to be used without being essentially screwed even harder.
  16. Killuminati C

It can be annoying in certain bases more than others I'll give you that, but it's certain death using it anywhere besides the spawn room lol. There are 10 salivating snipers telling themselves "This is just like VR" while combing the outskirts of a base for every seemingly comatose NC trying to guide their missile to a sundy or mbt.
    • Up x 1
  17. Lizare

I absolutely don't care about the spawn campers, the phoenix campers are rare who mean that it's probably not amazing.

I saw once 2 or 3 of them when we were in a 20 ~30 mn epic fair fight. I bet that we got far more fun than them.
  18. LtBomber1

TV-Guided missles can be annoying, sure. But so can be Striker and Lancer when massed. Get a high RoF weapons and shoot the missles down. Tengu / Kobalt / Walker are excellent in this. Count as a headshot (no XP tho).
  19. typnct

the striker isnt really a threat because the air battles are so rare if you are not an ace pilot

there isnt alot of pilots in this game that can be considered as excelent
    this is the reason that experienced pilots take the sky

the striker can only take them down but with the required knowledge you can avoid being shot by the striker - even in a liberator(loose his sight)
    but its so rare to use the striker that i dont really see any reason to carry it at all

unlike the phoenix that i could use in almost any scenario or to finish off targets or to hit air targets
    (btw taking down a phoenix missile requires luck as well because if the shooter has high ping and he already saw himself hit you and you just noticed the missile and started shooting the dmg will come(i hate 400+ ping users for this reason on all weapons)
  20. DemonicTreerat

Sure. Right after the Striker loses its ability to engage planes well outside of the 200m range other lock on weapons and the Lasher gets its range capped at 25m to end the whole "spam lashers at spawn". In other words when you give up your abusive mechanics we'll talk about giving up ours.

You know in PS1 the Phoenix was vastly more effective? You could actually KILL people with it because it did almost as much damage as a Decimator, it only took 3 hits to kill any MAX, you could manual detonate the round to leave camera mode, it couldn't be shot down/ fly in random directions, and it could be dumb-fired so it was useful indoors and out. Be thankful we don't have the old version back. Then maybe more NC would use it and you would have to keep your spawn-camping spam-tanks even further away.