Combined Arms: Wrel versus Vanguard

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Lamat, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Demigan

I'm sorry but this is just a dumb comment.

The Vanguard isn't just the worst, it's the worst by a large margin.
    There were only two things the Vanguard was supposedly good at compared to the other two: MBT killing and destroying ESF. I debunked the MBT killing, showing that the Magrider while more than 20% outpopped on average managed to keep up with killing MBT's per minute. And the Vanguard kills way, way less infantry which means far more infantry to kill by the NC footsoldiers and a longer time spend per base to capture it, which again means the entire NC will have an overall harder time capturing more territory than the other two factions.

Since I did those calculations using Oracle Of Death, what has changed? Oh yeah:
    The Vanguard armor advantage has been changed into a health advantage, which means a similar resistance to firepower as before but a slower repair rate. Which means a nerf overall.
    The Vanguard DPS has been changed, previously it was slightly higher than the Magrider, now it's lower than the Magrider who got a DPS buff (you seem to have missed that).
    Since AP is less omniversally useful compared to HE now, people have switched to HE which has a slower velocity, which is an indirect buff to the Magrider who has an easier time dodging.
    The Vanguard shield was practically it's only saving grace that kept it alive long enough (about 2 or 3 minutes longer than the other two tanks) to get a few more kills in. But those 2 or 3 minutes weren't enough to equalize the Vanguard vs the Prowler or Magrider. But oh yeah, this shield has been changed so that players basically have to deploy it immediately or not benefit well enough from it. This makes it very easy for players to make a Vanguard pop his shield, then just wait out the shield and murder**** the Vanguard after he's nerfed himself.

Because get this: Repair rate and such are important in vehicle combat. 1v1 open-field slugfests are extremely rare. It's about DPS, maneuverability, speed, hitbox size, and the Vanguard is simply at the bottom of the barrel everywhere. Even before the Vanguard got absolutely nerf hammered it was the worst tank, now it's a freakshow that can't compete with "dodge a single shell and the Magrider already is better off than the 1000 more health Vanguard" and "my DPS is so high your 1000 extra health doesn't matter" tanks.
    • Up x 6
  2. Towie

Actually I think the Vanguard is slightly better than most as the shield does give a bit more survivability. It doesn't stand a chance of getting away (nothing does) but stands more chance getting successful hits due to the longer TTK.
    The problem here isn't the Vanguard - it's the Harasser - and since CAI it has been a pain to literally any other vehicle except another Harasser.

Same here - they really need to improve the Vanguard handling more; it's fine and dandy being the 'most tanky' but it's such a miserable thing to drive. For all of its faults and weaknesses, the Magrider is an absolute hoot - it needs to stack the odds in its favour but is the best equipped to do so.
    • Up x 2
  3. Towie

...have to be a bit careful with Magrider v Vanguard stats - it was also proven that the Magrider was more often 2/2 and from a lot of hours playing them all, I feel the Magrider needs the additional gunner the most (to the point that any Maggie driver worth his salt will wait until they have a gunner - I certainly do). When 2/2, a Magrider is a force to be reckoned with.

That said - the only time I really felt powerful in the Vanguard was when the i-win shield was exactly that, since then it's all been a bit miserable really. While I gladly pull my Prowler or Magrider, Vanguard is more of a chore.
  4. Halkesh

That's actually a good idea to buff vanguard's resilience without changing its resistance. And vanguard crew can't abuse it by outrepairing enemy firepower.

About the vanguard ability, what about removing the I (don't) WIN shield and give it an offensive power ? IMO, the main con about vanguard is it lack offensive ability and increased defense is meaningless in this kind of game.
    For example, since the passive 1000 extra shield is focused on peekaboom, change vanguard's ability to something that boost it's effectiveness at peekaboom and long range fights.
    Nanite enchanced shell : burn a charge to increase vanguard damage, reload speed* and velocity by 50%, these damage take 50% more time to repair/heal. Vanguard can have up to 1/2/3/4 charges (depend on ranks).

* DPS stay unchanged
    • Up x 2
  5. adamts01

Not only that, but the NC has the worst ESF, the worst Harasser guns, and arguably the worst Max. NC is completely screwed in regards to heavy weapons, which is why they foot zerg so often, it's just not worth pulling anything. At least before NC had a 1v1 king with the MBT.
    • Up x 2
  6. Lamat

I was thinking the same thing, a utility that gave it enhanced alpha damage for oneshot, then went on cooldown. Make the shot glow with faction color as an indicator that way an enemy knows if it was used or not.

Might be best if it didn't change velocity as that could throw off the player's aim from what they are used to.

If the above changes threw off the Magrider, then maybe their utility could get reworked too, instead of the forward speed burst, perhaps several seconds of omnidirectional speed making it hyper agile briefly.
    • Up x 1
  7. pnkdth

This has been mentioned to Demi(and the magrider hype crew) a lot of times but never sticks.
    • Up x 1
  8. CMDante

This level of victim complex is impressive.

The Vanguard is the toughest tank, it has middle of the road DPS but highest upfront damage, best in class velocity, middle of the road hitbox size, average speed but lowest maneuverability.

It is also has the only ability that straight makes it stronger, an additional 67% mitigation is huge. And if "don't get flanked" is a fair answer for lock-down on the Prowler it is jolly goddamn good enough for the Vanguard that can still move and use its ability.

As far as repair and a "nerf" goes, that's just plan stupid. If 10 seconds repairs a Magrider/Prowler to the full 5000, the Vanguard is STILL AT 5000 after those 10 seconds, it can just go higher.

Bottom line is that it's a simple tank, designed to be a frontline fighter. Get in someone's grill with a Vanguard and you win, it's that simple. Same thing that happens if you stumble into an open field with a Prowler locked down on a ridge nearby. And same thing if you try to fight the staging fagrider in a forest. Each tank has a forte. Stop crying
    • Up x 1
  9. CMDante

Bruh, the NC has the Mustang, the Canister, the Mjolnir and hands-diwn the absolute best MAX at doing what MAX were designed to do, which is close-in room clearing AND long range vehicle destruction as both the Falcon and Raven are amazing.

Neither TR nor VS have one-shot ESF weapons or top guns.
  10. Lamat

No, it actually NEEDS to go 1000HP higher to stay competitive and for it's new resist shield to be useful. It's not bonus HP, it's part of the whole package, just like the Magrider strafing and not taking that damage in the first place that it then doesn't have to repair either. What if the Magrider's strafing ability took damage and had to be repaired? What if the Prowler's DPS slowed down as it took damage?
    • Up x 4
  11. adamts01

There's an argument for the Max, but shotguns are so gimmicky in this game, especially on vehicles, and more especially on aircraft.
    • Up x 3
  12. CMDante

I'm not arguing if being the shotgun faction is gimmicky, I'm really not. But the Canister is easily the best point-defense weapon in the game, and the Mustang on a stealthed Reaver can just fly up and remove infantry and MAX free of charge, then you have the Breakers for area saturation and (I believe) the highest DPS nose gun for AA, Reaver gank-squads are far from bad.

And let's not even bother comparing the Enforcer to the Gatekeeper, which is so bad now I've removed it from everything I own in favor of the Basilisk.
  13. Campagne

What, are you kidding? The Phoenix has a maximum range of 295 meters tops.

The missile has a lifespan and explodes after 12 seconds if it does not collide with anything prior. With the lethargic acceleration and projectile velocity the absolute maximum range a Phoenix can reach is 295 meters if fired and flow in a straight line.

But I guess you wouldn't have known that, would you? :p

You serious bro? Canister is bad trash once again. Two-hit-kill if the majority of pellets hit the chest with an unreliable shotgun spread and almost non-existent AoE. (I'm not actually sure if it's just a visual effective like the GODSAW or if it actually does have an AoE. Didn't have it either way pre-CAI.) Combine that with the small 8-shell magazine and no longer interruptible reload and ya' get a steaming pile of feces.

Mjolnir is and has always been a complete joke. Worse than a Vulcan/Aphelion in basically every single way. Damage and DPS are considerably worse in practice.

I'm sure lots of others will be better at discussing the NC's MAX than I, same goes for the Reaver and co.
    • Up x 3
  14. adamts01

The Air Hammer is the best at face tanking Maxes, but they're usually invincible in spawnrooms anyway. I'd still take the other factions' guns because you don't have to get so close to use them, and the Banshee is easily my favorite as it still works against enemy ESF. The Reaver does have the highest dps noseguns, but very few pilots are good enough shots for that to overcome its massive hitboxes.

I think the Enforcer is just as crappy as the Gatekeeper, especially with its lost interruptible reload. The Basilisk is the way to go for sure, I even run it instead of the Mjolnir so I'm not screwed if air shows up. At least TR has the Vulcan. Then they made Harassers nearly invincible..... 4 hits from an AP lightning..... Harassers literally drive up to tanks and facetank them now.... But of course they can't hurt infantry..... This patch was released in such a bad state.
    • Up x 1
  15. Lamat

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  16. JibbaJabba

We sure have a lot of fancy high falutin' stats and discussions here don't we?

Make it simple:
    If you could trade your tank with that of another faction, would you? Don't bull **** now. Be intellectually honest.
    What about your MAX?
    ESF?
    ES weapons?

C'mon we might all mix and match a few things but as a whole, ain't nobody picking the NC stuff. You all know this.
    • Up x 8
  17. Nepas77

How did the Magrider's DPS got buffed?
  18. LordKrelas

Reload speed advantage taken from TR.
    • Up x 2
  19. Lucidius134

I wonder if they know it's because any further would cause your body to de-render from yourself which would cause a loading screen anytime you fired a long range phenix rocket because it would count as spawning back in your body
    • Up x 2
  20. Campagne

Yep. They ought to just make the thing fly straight until it hits something after the 12 seconds, or even just have the rocket fall towards the ground like it used to.
    • Up x 1