[Suggestion] DAYBREAK Make these 2 changes to improve air

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by adamts01, Oct 26, 2017.

1. adamts01

1. Yaw with mouse: This doesn't hurt anyone and would help plenty of people, there's zero excuse not to have this option in game.
    2. Analog Throttle locks motors in hover mode until accelerate is pushed. Another change that won't hurt anyone and would let everyone do the reverse maneuver with the push of a button.
    If you Tweet or Reddit whatever Daybreak uses, or Wrel is your buddy, please pass this along.
    "Unintuitive Controls" and the necessity to master the reverse maneuver are the two biggest complaints I hear. There are plenty of other changes with pros/cons I've heard but these two would help a lot of people and are the only two without any real downsides.
    • Up x 5
  2. LodeTria

• Up x 1
  3. Pikachu

Someone asked Wrel about yaw with mouse time ago on reddit and he said it was very unlikely to change because of technical difficulties.
  4. adamts01

I see his point, it is only 2017......
  5. EinPixel

Its nice that your gif has a sun and a moon. But hey, PS2 has 4 continents, that are compeltely different instances. There is no "World". If you want to make it right you have to calc the Day time on every single continent under another angle, but still syncronized with the other instances (continents). Its not about "leveldesign", there is quite a bit of research and implementatition time behind this "simple" feature. Its all about priority and capacity. And I can only prepend, that the correct calculation of the sun and moon on a low budget, low dev-time game is not a top priority...
    Same for controls. it may be easy to modify the functionality if the implementation was made in right way. But what if it was rushed because of lack of money/time/manpower/knowhow? It could become realy difficult to modify such a basic architecture later on even for a experienced developer.

I'm sure the devs can technicaly realize it, but still, if it is rated low priority with high resource cost, his statement becomes only honest... He does not say that the "technical difficulties" can not be solved. But they are ingame, they seems to cost time to fix.
    By the way, it is not ensured that the "technical difficulties" from 2012 are easier to solve in 2017, the game is still from 2012...

Atm I am a bit short on spare time, but hey... I have an Idea how to work around your first problem. If it works, I'll post the solution here on forums.

But I can not promise that for 100%, because:
    • I'm new to PS2 so I still have to figure out how the game mechanics work on low level.
    • I have to solve "technical difficulties" first.
    • Ensure that the solution does not offer any advantage to its user, only the basic "remapping"
  6. adamts01

Cool. I wouldn't use it, so that suggestion isn't even for me, I just want to see things get better for as many people as possible. Here's some stuff if you're new to the game and want to look at things.
    • Roll can be bound to keys, so taking it off the mouse wouldn't be a problem.
    • Yaw works very well with a joystick's twist function and is very controllable, so it isn't an all or nothing input, so maybe it would also respond appropriately with a mouse...
    • Pitch and Roll, funny enough, do not work well with a joystick. You can't seem to have a controllable sensitivity for aiming and still hit max roll/pitch rate at the same time, unlike with the mouse.... It's just awful. I imagine better joystick software might fix this, but it's beyond what Logitech offers.
    Hopefully you could fix things within system settings, but even if it's a modified game file, that's something that Daybreak might be able to implement on live.
    • Up x 1
  7. Halkesh

Starwars battlefront 2 (2005) have yaw with mouse, technical difficulties shouldn't be a problem.
  8. FateJH

But, then, that's Star Wars Battlefront 2. That matters little to our engine's configuration.
    • Up x 1
  9. Halkesh

My bad, i forgot planetside 2 have the same game engine than tetris. :D
    • Up x 3
  10. adamts01

That's a common misconception. It's original roots trace back to graphing calculators.
  11. Pikachu

It's 2 spheres orbiting the map. Even if continents had given locations on the planet any programmer decent at geometry would be able to translate simple rotation from a space view to a planet view.

Btw I made a little moon planet thingy to test lunar phases and stuff. Interestingly the connection between sunset and lunar phase remains the same regardless of size, distance or speed between for all the bodies. Fullmoon always ends up rising during sunset and so on.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 4
  12. strikearrow

2 simple ways to fix air. Remove Hover and Reverse Maneuver - make aircraft fly like most sims and presto more people will be able to fly well.
    • Up x 2
  13. x360

pc will never have proper flight controls,the sixaxis flight controls are assigned to the ps4(directdraw),theres just not enough buttons on pc to have it work correctly.(xinput)ps4 has the use of 13 buttons,pc only has 12.i did set up a directdraw

flight controls at the expense of never being able to shoot a gun.so its never going to happen.
  14. FateJH

Not enough things to press?
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  15. adamts01

My aircraft in Arma hover, and I can do the Reverse Maneuver in them.... My vtols hover like ESF and can also fly like a plane.... Everyone makes PS2 aircraft to be crazier than they are. The big limiting factor in this game is the complete lack of inertia, which is what renders classic maneuvers pointless. Either way, you seem to have a problem with the Reverse Maneuver, which is why I made point number 2. The RM is hard because you have to get and stay in hover, my proposal turns the ESF in to a helicopter just like in any other game with the hit of a button.

I don't understand this... we have more than enough buttons.... The mouse works pretty good as a substitute for a joystick, the only limiting things are buttons being on/off, but even then you could add a throttle and pedals if you wanted.
    • Up x 2
  16. LordKrelas

The hint is that he said PS4 has more buttons than an entire keyboard & mouse...
    As he said 12 buttons for a PC.
    Think about it, the first row on a keyboard is more than 12 keys.
    And that's just the first row.

Don't worry too much about it making no sense - as it makes zip.
    • Up x 2
  17. Wingthong

the ability to lock your ESFs engines in hover is already in the game, its under key bindings for aircraft and is something like "toggle thrust" and makes you lose all momentum and forces you into a hover. as I am fairly experienced with dogfighting I don't use it, but I did use it when I first started learning and helped me a great deal. only bit of advice: put it somewhere that you wont accidentally press, as it can screw you in when you are being chased or chasing! I have done it when I used to fly lib and killed my crew a lot :D
  18. adamts01

As an experienced pilot you should know that even if you press analog throttle (that's what it's called), your motors will leave hover position as soon as you have any momentum and nose up. Half of dogfighting is forcing your opponent out of hover so he'll be a much more predictable target, that's the whole reason you want to be below your target if it takes more than a clip to finish the fight..
  19. strikearrow

It can. A keyboard + numbad have enough controls. It's the PS2 flight mechanics that are the problem.
  20. TR5L4Y3R

it´s not just a matter of how difficult it is for them to solve it or were they put it prioritywise..
    it´s a matter for players to be able to actualy play the airpart of this game .. because with the current state as it is the majority of people that would like to fly and play the AA game simply don´t have fun playing it for how difficult and frustrating it is ..
    and no talk of "GID GUD!" from purists or skyknights will change that ... many of us have limited time to play and rather like enjoy the time we play in game instead of having to go through hours and hours of learning a conveluted system just to get decent at it .. much less capable ..
    • Up x 3