Upcoming ES SMGs

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by dokukai, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dokukai

Reddit thread here.

[IMG]
    • Up x 9
  2. Kristan

3. SenEvason

Damn, these are looking amazing!
  4. CMDante

Magazine out the side is beyond hideous. Otherwise they all look great.
  5. MuggieWara

OMG that side fed magazine on ours!!!:D

At last something ES!
  6. LordKrelas

Well.
    I love these.
  7. Lamat

What kind of role will these fill among existing SMGs?

Will I be killing faster than the Cyclone at close range? A 200 dmg / 600 rpm SMG for NC?
    • Up x 1
  8. Liewec123

my wallet hates you Doku! :D

my dreams:
    VS works like a faster firing lasher with less damage per shot, heat mechanic.
    NC fires really really slow, hits like a truck (maybe deals light vehicle damage similar to godsaw?)
    TR get a tengu/mcg crossbreed abomination on crack, ultra mega bullet-hose!
    • Up x 1
  9. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Thanks for posting these here - fun fact, we've got quite a few more ES weapons that doku will be working on. :)
    • Up x 14
  10. The Rogue Wolf

I'm okay with it- it's reminiscent of the Sten gun- but I still think that TR weapons should be bullpup.
    • Up x 5
  11. Atorum

So Christmas next year I presume?
    • Up x 1
  12. Lucidius134

Bullpups arn't exactly condusive design wise to high capacity/non-stick mags. I do agree though that A faction or subset of weapons need bullpup variants. There was a thread regarding this exact thing some where...I even contributed a 1000 hour sin MS paint bullpup edit

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?threads/bullpup-rifles.216827/

RE: Stenguns

I think there's something distinctly TR about both side feeds and clip/belt feeding and caseless ammo, like the Bastard Gun in Metro 2033 (ammo's not caseless, that was just a point about aesthetic)

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  13. Beerbeerbeer

About time.

The homogenization of this game with the incessisent release of NS weapons goes counter to what this game is truly about: the empire traits and differences.

Those differences are what made things interesting and what made Planetside so great.

I would rather endure 100 whines on empire disparities then trudge along with everyone using the same dang vanilla weapons.

In fact, please release more with MORE defined empire traits baked in. They should be different. They should be asymmetrical.
    • Up x 7
  14. LordKrelas

Just please let NC not be the RNG-Cursed bastards.
    But yes, proper traits balanced asymmetrical would be lovely.
    Assuming it's not like Indar's gate where NC got shafted by the map itself...
    • Up x 1
  15. Pat22

NC one reminds me of the plasma gun from Doom 3, it looks really neat and I think that'll definitely get me playing a bit of NC.

I like that the VS one went really far into the alien aesthetics but it looks a little fragile. Not that it matters in a video game where guns don't break and trees are nuclear-proof, but if I owned a real one of those I'd be worried about something breaking.

For those who took a good look at the TR one, the suppressor has three barrels, which is interesting and I'm curious to see what it does. Mini MCG? MMCG?
  16. Lamat

Well the key thing about SMGs is they are intended for close range, while the NC high damage trait is often used for better mid range. Please don't do this again, there has to be a way to make high damage good for close range, I think the Cyclone and Bandit are good examples. But we don't have the uber NC 200 damage gun in an SMG, I'm sure with some heavy damage drop-off it could be done where it isn't too good at all ranges. NC really needs more good close combat weapons. With shotguns being worse than SMGs in most situations, there is nothing special about being the shotgun faction.
    • Up x 1
  17. LordKrelas

In fact being the shotgun faction means they have no ranged capability, and must spend even more certs to extend it out, losing the very limited benefits of the original spread.
    As well, the number of places & situations where a strictly short-ranged & RNG weapon is quite limited.
    A short-ranged weapon itself has places, an RNG has it's own, but both at once has the most limited selection.
    The special bit, is the safe-zone around each such user with barely any comparable options to them to be be screwed like.
    An example being the Shotgun Max, great when hitting a max up-close, or guarding a door - Horrid the moment it walks into a hallway, medium room, or outside, with the option to be outgunned in every possible way in Max AI when not using the near identical RNG shotgun options.
    Which is even more telling is the Mattlock, & less remembered Scattershot of all the max AI ever being mentioned.
    The former being only with the costly Slug option added onto the price of each arm.

Resulting in BS situations against such maxes with barely a choice if any, and BS situations where an AI max can not exist for one entire faction.
  18. then00b

Where be the ES buggies and such?
    • Up x 1
  19. Campagne

I don't know about a 200/500 model SMG for NC, that just seems like the easy way out. All four non-infiltrator classes have access to 200DMG/500RPM weapons already, (not to mention the 200/351 Magshot), and in my opinion it gets rather samey.

Really, the biggest difference between them all is mag size. What'll it be? Ya' want 24, 30, 65, or 100? Otherwise it might as well be the same gun for all intents and purposes. All I'm saying is there are other ways to do slow firing high damage weapons without sacrificing competiveness. :cool:
    • Up x 1
  20. Lamat

No, 200 dmg at 500 rpm is the Gauss Saw, it would need to be close to 600 rpm for high DPS. The damage drop-off would ensure it's niche is close range.