[Suggestion] Bullpup Rifles?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by fives23, Mar 11, 2015.

1. fives23

Now I really love PS2 and there would have to be a major screw up to change my mind but...... There are 2 bullpup weapons in the entire game.... and they're both extremely expensive at 1000 certs each. I'm of course talking about the NS-7 PDW and the MKV Suppressed (love the MKV it's beautiful in every way :) ) but am I supposed to believe that in a far off future where bringing people back from the dead and interstellar warships are an every day occurrence there are barely any bullpup rifles? If you dont know what a bullpup rifle is it's any gun where the magazine (or bullets themselves) goes BEHIND the handle rather than in front this extends the barrel of the weapon significantly allowing for the same or greater range and accuracy while making the weapon itself shorter and increasing mobility. This is an obvious improvement over traditional rifles with the only difficulty being trouble firing while prone, which you cannot do in PS2. Can we all agree that maybe a nice bullpup carbine for all 3 factions would be a great addition? If DEVs do consider this PLEASE DON'T MAKE THESE WEAPONS STATISTICALLY IDENTICAL! There isn't enough faction variation among weapons in this game in my humble opinion. Good examples of faction variation would be the T4 AMP, Spiker, and NC08 Mag-Scatter and the Heavy assault specialty weapons. Leave a like if you agree that there should be a few bullpup weapons in PS2 for a little aesthetic fun and the logic of them not being included so far into the future.
    • Up x 2
  2. Mongychops

AFAIK, the art team are currently revamping the MAX weapons to add some diversity, and I believe that the infantry small arms will get similar treatment over the coming months, since many of them are similarly "placeholdery".

Also, it would be hard to make a VS Bullpup weapon, though admittedly the VS already have had some interesting reload designs when the art team have had the time to do it (eg Spiker, Cerberus, Lasher, Phaseshift)
    • Up x 4
  3. Ballto21

the lancer reloads like all vs launchers, it does have a neat firing animation though
  4. fives23

This was more geared towards NC/TR but I guess the VS variant could reload like the Cerberus
  5. Doc Jim

I'd welcome the addition of a couple of nice bullpups. Wouldn't be a problem for VS either as you would only have to relocate the battery plug to the stock.

Off topic:
    This is incorrect, firing bullpups from the prone position is not a problem in real life (source: personal experience with SA80).
    Actual problems of the bullpup concept: Some bullpup weapons like the British SA80 can only be safely fired from the right shoulder - firing from the left shoulder would smash the shooters jaw (reciprocating charging handle at ejection port). Some designs like the French FAMAS allow the user to switch the ejection port to the left, but this still leaves the problem of hot gas and particles ejecting from the weapon in close proximity of the user's face (believe me, this is rather uncomfortable). New designs like the Belgian F2000 overcome even this problem by ejecting empty cases forward.
    • Up x 3
  6. ColonelChingles

Or the other Belgian one, the FN P90, which ejects them downwards.

Dunno what it is with Belgians... maybe they have a much higher percentage of lefties than other nations. :p
    • Up x 1
  7. TheMish

Lets hope that if they do, they'll be just as awesome as the new Max weapon models.
  8. Iridar51

If they do introduce some empire-specific weapons, they should probably be classified as carbines, to add some special awesomeness to engineer and LA. Other classes already have their bling in form of special launchers / heavy weapons / sniper rifles.
  9. fives23

Especially since everything for LA has been constantly nerfed since day 1
    I got the firing while prone thing from my personal experience with the TAR-21 so maybe your just better than me.
  10. Doc Jim

Uh, ok... Most weapons - bullpup or conventional - handle differently when you're lying down. In my experience, bullpups aren't better or worse in this area than conventional weapons. Maybe the Tavor is just special? ;-) What did you find problematic?
  11. fives23

its really fat top to bottom especially with a scope
  12. TheKhopesh

I'm a lefty.
    I love it when people take my ~10% of the world's population into account when designing something's ergonomic use.
    :D
  13. DxAdder

What would be the difference between Bullpup vs Carbine ?

I thought the over barrel lengths were about the same ?
  14. Doc Jim

Ok, well a fat butt/stock can be problematic, SA80 has a "slim" butt and is usually fielded with a scope, no problem there...

I'm right handed, but if you're doing urban combat then being able to switch to firing from the left shoulder is really valuable.
    I always instructed my boys how to handle the SIG550 series and our pistols left and right, I believe in being flexible when SHTF.
  15. Doc Jim

@ DxAdder: modern assault rifles usually have barrel lengths of around 50cm while carbines have ~35cm or less. Conventional designs have overall lengths of 90-100cm (rifle) and correspondingly around 70cm for carbines. Bullpup designs have rifle lengths of 80cm or less and carbines would be closer to 60cm.

The definition rifle/carbine is usually made depending on the relative barrel length within the weapon "family".
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

I have always liked the idea of a FAMAS-ish TR carbine. Probably the Jaguar, since the Lynx has already had its model redone.
  17. BobSanders123

I've always thought the Famas would look like a good blocky assault rifle for the NC. I always envisioned the AUG or F2000 as a more Terran-eque design due to the more curvy nature of the two. And yes I do agree with the Jaguars model being replaced. It would make sense too since bullpups have that natural advantage of moving around when aimed down sights.
    • Up x 1
  18. ColonelChingles

You pretty much get a full length rifle barrel in the overall length of a carbine. The best of both worlds, so to speak.
  19. Lucidius134

Ay, figured i'd post both a mockup i did and a mock up some one did from 2013

[IMG]
    by: Ladiesop

[IMG]
    by: Lucidius134

Suggested turning the burst variants into bullpups but a new weapon type could work.
  20. eldarfalcongravtank

i would love to have a futuristic NS bullpup assault rifle!

[IMG]

suggested stats:
    798rpm firerate
    535m/s muzzle velocity
    143dmg @ 8m / 112dmg @ 50m
    30 / 180 rounds in mag/pool
    3.65s / 4.9s short/long reload
    relatively tight hipfire cof but low aim accuracy ("closequarters assault rifle")