[Suggestion] Lighting secondary akin to ESF secondary

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by strikearrow, Oct 4, 2017.

1. strikearrow

Give the lightning a secondary gun like an ESF. So the ESF has a nosegun and a secondary gun at 350 nanites. The ground equivalent is the 350 nanite lighting. The lighting has less speed and mobility, but more armor than an ESF so far balanced. The difference is the ESF has 2 guns giving it more versatility than a lighting. The lighting needs unique secondary guns to make it balanced. Say a short-range AI type gun or a short-range AV type gun it can switch to using depending on the situation just like an ESF.
    • Up x 4
  2. MaDiv

Why not instead give it the natural ability to have one more ability/utility?
    Introducing a 2nd gun would require to produce the models, code and whatnot.

What I suggested, however, is simpler and would be bound to a additional hotkey and a more interesting loadout mechanic, at least from my perspective.
  3. Lamat

Coaxial Kobalt machine gun as secondary.
    • Up x 9
  4. Campagne

Eh. Personally I don't think the lightning needs a second weapon. And on top of that, PS2 doesn't need more one-man mobile weapon platforms akin to the powerhouse that is an ESF with a nosegun and rockets.
    • Up x 1
  5. ColonelChingles

Ahem.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Literally giving Lightnings rocketpods, Hornets, and Tomcats would be a good first step in making Lightnings not suck.
    • Up x 12
  6. Lamat

Yes, please!
    • Up x 5
  7. Eternaloptimist

A fixed or co-ax AI weapon like the Kobalt may not be such a bad thing but an independently traversing secondary seems a bit like making Lightings into MBT-lite. Not sure if I'd go that far, although I am only just starting to run tanks and have only used the Lightning so far (I'm not ready to inflict my lack of skill/survivability on a gunner).

I've been waiting for the patch before certing into a main gun and I still can't make up my mind - although I have followed the really helpful advice from forum about chassis and the utilities (I'm running fire suppression and combat chassis atm)
    • Up x 1
  8. yellowstone

ESFs having 2 weapons (at most) has always bugged me, let alone giving the same advantage to lightnings.
    Eh, the update just gave the lightning an all-rounded weapon anyways (called HESH, good against everything).
    • Up x 4
  9. DemonicTreerat

Make it so.
    • Up x 2
  10. AllRoundGoodGuy

This looks like it's be a good AA gun.
    • Up x 2
  11. ColonelChingles

That's because the primary is a tank everything buster, except elongated! ;)
  12. Lucidius134

What if the Lightning's co-axle options were the flash's primary options? This would prevent it from getting sunderer/MBT grade primary damage profiles while providing the utility for the slot people are desiring?

M20 Basilisk-F (Versatile. could add extra vehicle damage between shots/mags. Prevents auto-repair on armored targets.)
    M12 Kobalt-F (Everyone Wants This. Can engage ESF's and Harrassers between shots/prevent auto-repair)
    M40 Fury-F (Versatile but close range. This is like a baby C75 Viper. Added vehicle damage between shots)
    S12 Renegage (Close range AI. Memey, but i'm sure some people want that Canister Round feel from bf4)

I think this would be sufficient for the secondary slot on a lightning while keeping its range and damage profiles better suited to closer range utility (sunderer secondaries would include walker/ranger/m60 bulldog with better damage profiles. Might make Skyguard moot) while not arbitrarily restricting the sunderer/mbt secondary choices.

This also does not require any new models or sound assets, and the flash models may be attachable to the lightning's turret without interfering with first person viewing. Possibly could see more change and diversity in the flash varients that better suit the platform? (Greatly increased rate of fire over MBT/Sundy basilisk, same damage per mag, better for ambushing)
    • Up x 4
  13. Halkesh

What if the lightning secondary was a LMG with the same stats as the AI mana turret ?
    • Up x 3
  14. Lucidius134

That'd work too. Give it a heat system instead of ammo like the AI mana.
    • Up x 3
  15. MuggieWara

Assuming they dont change anything again---->>>HESH!

Dont even think about it.Its by faaaaar the best option!

Also,like with any other tank,maxed out(cant stress this enough) stealth is essential.No matter how expensive,it is worth every single cert!

The rest(fire suppression and Rival chassis) are correct choices.
    • Up x 1
  16. ColonelChingles

Really the Lightning should be like a BMP-3 or ZBD-04... just bristling with weapons.

[IMG]

That little vehicle comes equipped with a 100mm gun that can fire both HE shells and launch ATGMs. Mounted next to it is a coaxial 30mm autocannon for engaging light vehicles, low-hovering aircraft, or infantry. And finally there's a 7.62mm coaxial machinegun as well, for when the gunner doesn't feel like expending autocannon rounds on infantry targets.

[IMG]

The BMP-3 comes with the 100mm, 30mm, and 7.62mm armaments listed above, but also has two additional forward-facing 7.62mm machineguns mounted on the front. These are operated by any additional infantry inside the vehicle.

It's important to point out that even with such potent weapons, neither the ZBD-04 or BMP-3 act as replacements for MBTs (they are not MBT-lites). Their 100mm missiles are only marginally effective against the front of MBTs and their 30mm weapons are fairly ineffective. Moreover their armour is much, much weaker than what an MBT would carry. Essentially the role of these vehicles is to engage everything else effectively (infantry, light vehicles, helicopters) while MBTs focus on tanking damage and the harder targets (other MBTs, hardened bunkers).
    • Up x 2
  17. Halkesh

This could be a good idea if the lightning was a 2 or 3 crew vehicle, the lighter and faster but squishy version of the MBT.
    • Up x 1
  18. Pikachu

Or BMP-1 76mm cannon and ATGM and machine gun. :D
    [IMG]

Or Sheridan. Just big gun firing guided missiles. As much damage as vanguard cannon.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  19. ColonelChingles

It could be possible with a single operator. Consider, for example, the current Uran-9:

[IMG]

It is armed with a 30mm autocannon, ATGMs, and a 7.62mm coaxial machinegun.

And it's controlled by a single person:

[IMG]

Modern technology already allows for the remote operation of vehicles by a single individual. It's not unrealistic to expect that in PS2.

There's also the Sprut SD-M1.

[IMG]

A true "light tank" (can't transport troops), it packs the full 125mm gun found on Russian MBTs. It can fire any sort of 125mm shell including laser-guided missiles (both AT and HE). It also has a 7.62mm coaxial machinegun.

Sadly though while it's more effective against enemy MBTs, it lacks the autocannon that would make it more effective against infantry.

On the other hand you have the BMPT-72, which gives up a large calibre gun altogether.

Instead it gets two 30mm autocannons, four missile launchers, two 30mm automatic grenade launchers, and a 7.62mm coaxial machinegun for anything left standing. The idea is the missiles are for tanks, and the other weapons can take care of anything else that isn't artillery or a high-flying jet.
    • Up x 1
  20. Lucidius134

Came across a thread earlier regarding Lightnings and I gotta bump it.

I dont think the Walker/Ranger would be overpowered as secondaries but i'm throwin it out there.

Could make Skyguard to Walker/Ranger between reloads increase AA dps without buffing Skyguard directly