Help me out here

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by landontom, Jul 6, 2017.

1. landontom

On steam it says I have played Planetside for 77 hours, and I still have no clue as to what im doing.

I know how to play my classes, I spend day after day grinding certs with the Engineer and Medic classes and after about an hour of playing I have earned about 10 certs.

It seems no matter what I do, I just cant be effective.

I don't "main" a certain faction, I just play what ever team seems to have the most cohesion.

I can't even be a team player without someone wrecking it for me.

I try to rep your tank: you freak out after taking a single hitpoint of dmg, so you drive around, running your entire squad over just to get away, and you fail at even that.

I understand how to cone of fires works, and how it takes like 5 or 6 shots to down someone, but it honestly feels like I shoot spitballs at these guys, and they just turn around and point at me for a second and im dead.

I always get told to just keep playing and it'll click but I don't understand how long I need to slam my head into a brick wall until it breaks.

Maybe I just dont understand the base layouts, or maybe im really not playing my classes well, but no matter how much I read and watch, I just do not learn anything.

I really like the game, I do, and I would get a membership if I thought I would keep playing the game instead of getting steamed and walking off to take a breather.

I dont lone wolf anything, im always with a platoon and I watch them play and do everything I do, just 10x better, but the problem is, is that I dont know how to get better at any sort of class.

Someone tell me what im doing wrong? Or atleast how to get better?
    • Up x 1
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

When you're repairing a tank never stand directly behind it. If you're playing VS don't even go near Magriders, the reason why they can fly is because they're powered by souls of dead friendly engineers.
    Faction that has the lowest population gets the highest amount of exp=certs because of a boost. You should also look at population percentage in map before deciding at which base you want to fight. If you have an overwhelming amount of allies you won't get any exp because there's nothing to kill and nothing to do there (fights with 60%+ allies). And same goes for underpopulation but it's not so hard to farm certs when you're outnumbered, you can still throw ammo and res dead friendlies (<40% allies). The best fights are usually where you have slightly more population than enemy from 50-50 to 60-40.
    Which server do you play on?
    • Up x 3
  3. landontom

Im not sure which scientist it is, Its the US Eastern server

Im not ********, I dont stand right behind them *mostly* they just turn and wont stop moving

Again, im not stupid, I dont just choose and random base, I look around and see who is playing what, I rather play an engineer surrounded by medics, cause now they hvae to compete for xp and I dont.
  4. Demigan

Could you perhaps describe how you play?
    Start with this: You log in, how do you select a fight?
    Take a screenshot of a fight you joined, and use paint to draw a crude map of where you walk to get to your allies (or use the in-game overlay system, but that requires some learning).
    Tell us how you support your allies.
    Perhaps give us your character name, so we can look up your stats and hazard guesses about how you play or what you could improve (there will inevitably someone who will say something nasty about your stats, but that will happen regardless of how good you are. So ignore those people).

I would suggest first maining one faction to get the feel of the game. Having to cert into 3 different characters will give you a much slower feel of progression and will give you less idea's on how each faction's culture on that server moves and behaves.

While many players will not look around when driving, especially backing up, most infantry deaths by vehicle can be attributed to the infantry themselves. Even if the tank driver knows you are there, the tank driver often has the choice to run you over (unless you get out of the way) or to save you and let his tank die. So the choice is an easy one: Crush that Engineer under your tracks.

Also try some tank combat yourself. You'll notice that hopping into and out of cover is a common and relatively good strategy to avoid too much damage and can give you an edge over people who just stick their tank out of cover and stay there. So if you are doing that strategy and some Engy sits behind you to repair you... It's going to be bye bye Engy when he invevitably backs up.
    And I don't believe in the "they just turn and won't stop moving" argument you have in the above post. If they turn and you get killed by them repeatedly, you are doing something wrong, not the tank. Unless ofcourse you with your 77 hours somehow are more experienced than the average tank player...?

This is called the Latency system.
    For all PS2's faults, the fact that on a single continent you can have a fight with 100 allies vs 100 enemies while not a base away another 100 dudes are fighting another 100 dudes is nothing short of a miracle. This is all achieved through the Latency system. Normal games get the data from someone's position and immediately send it to everyone on the server. But that means that each additional player increases the amount of data send exponentially. When 100 players are on the same sever and 1 extra player joins, the server suddenly needs to send 100 positional data sets to the extra player, but also 1 extra positional data set to the 100 other players.
    In comes the latency system. This delays all the movements you see from everyone else so the server can manage them. You do get to see almost all that movement, but it'll be a little behind on what's really happening. So when you see someone open fire on you, that person has actually opened fire a split second earlier. This can cause people to think enemies only need 2 or 3 shots to down them while they themselves need hundreds, while in reality your opponent needed the same amount of shots to down you.

Also it depends on the weapon you are using how many shots you needed to kill. There's some weapons that can take more than 12 shots simply because you are at a little distance and the damage dropoff has began.

Well when I want to break a wall down, I usually look at it from a few angles to determine how it's build before breaking it down so I don't slam into the toughest and meanest parts of the wall. Or without the metafor: Figure out how the game works with things like latency, player behaviour and game mechanics, and try to use those to your advantage.
    For instance, flipping a point once can net you around 1 to 3 certs, depending on how much extra XP you are currently getting. That's a minimum of 10% of what you earn per hour! And in a good fight points flip between factions a lot... And around these point flips a lot of players die waiting for a revive... And standing on a point will give you defensive XP ticks every so many seconds... That's a lot of XP you can get for just helping push a point! And that's just one of the many, many ways you can find certs for the taking in PS2.

Here's some advice: Teamplay is nice, but PS2 despite it's large-scale combat isn't too good at it. Look at what your platoon does, then look at how you can make use of what they are doing. Don't do exactly what they are doing, because that's already being done by someone! Find yourself a MAX to repair, a chokepoint to supply with ammo, a place where people die a lot with enough safety for a revive, or just try to find out where your enemy is paying attention to, where they come from and through that where they aren't looking, and then gun a few enemies down! Hell, try picking a Stalker cloak Infiltrator (switch out it's Hunter cloak device, this will lock out your primary weapon and force you to use only your secondary), then move off the beaten paths and try to look at where and how your enemies move. Look at how your allies move against that, and look if you can figure out a way to use that.
    • Up x 1
  5. landontom

6. Corporate Thug

I would exercise more caution, and perhaps slow down your shot. While playing infiltrator and lightning you were firing too quick for your aim, if that makes sense? When switching between weapons it's important to give yourself some time to adjust to their feel, which I don't think you ever did. Try taking a bit longer to line up your shot, especially as infiltrator, and when using a lightning's viper turret I typically use the first round to gauge my accuracy, and then make adjustments or continue firing if I'm on target.

Believe it or not, less than 100 hours is no where near enough time to become decent at this game. Smaller fights will allow you to learn more due to less random deaths, but also can be very frustrating because personal skill matters much more. There really isn't anything wrong with playing solo, as long as you stick near some allies and don't just run off and try to do things on your own, such as checking your minimap to see teammates near you, and when they're approaching a control point so you can join them in their push. Playing solo can help you learn due to you playing at your own pace, instead of trying to execute orders that may or may not be from a trash platoon leader who enjoys banging his head against a wall. Either way, it looks as if you have a firm grip on FPS mechanics so, it really is only a matter of time before you "git gud".

Edit: Forgot to elaborate on the slowing down part. You don't properly scout out a route before you commit to it according to this ONE video. Perhaps you've been fighting these same enemies all day, who knows, but I personally wouldn't have been in those open areas, or even that fight given how TR had clear advantages...Vulcan, elevation, and defending which allows them to dig in and just pick off the approaching attackers.
  7. LaughingDead

0:00-1:00
    Didn't have a gunner and you weren't an engie going in and you kept your back to a harrasser, tanks take a lot more damage from the back than any other side, to the point where you can lose a dps fight with a jeep. Going back in a viper lightning was not the best idea because it has limited AV potenial and at those ranges where infantry can peck you down the recoil wont help either. The best thing to do is to play from cover and inch in because you have no specialization.

2:00-3:30 Charging into a fight as an engie won't help either, as the open field will simply kill you as well. The best thing you could've done is go with the guy that asked for a gunner for his lib.

3:30-5:40
    The right thing was the go heavy but since you have no lock ons you aren't going to be hitting much unless it's close. When you were in the kobalt I noticed you didn't use the optics, right click is optics for vehicles. Sniping was the best thing you could do there but after devs nerfed the ranges of the sniper rifle, you were going to need to get much closer and need cover.

5:40-End.
    Hiving sounded like your best option for certs and I do feel bad for that experience, but mostly it came down to: You weren't ready for open field fighting because you have no options for open field fighting and should've picked a different fight.

Basically you didn't have certs to get lockons, AV tank options, your vehicles weren't great, your rifle couldn't reach and your options to do combat except stalker, so the best option was to go to a different fight.

It sucks, I know, but I suppose some of the changes like heat and viper being actually viable AV would help alleviate the stigma of this play through, being pegged down in the lighting by an engie mana turret alone should point out how helpless you actually are if you don't play to cover even in a vehicle, cover cover cover.

The best thing for you to do in a vehicle fight is probably to gun for someone else, the second best thing is grind those certs with engie ammo packs at zergs and medic. Also sucky options. Welcome to planetside, noob deterant since 2014
    • Up x 2
  8. Eternaloptimist

10 certs in an hour is about 2,000 xp - does that sound about right? Without knowing anything about your full situation the best I can do is tell you how I play the support classes for xp and see if anything chimes with your gameplay.

Engineer:
    • maxed out ammo packs- I stay where the infantry fights are and drop these things all the time. Max rank pack gets used before lower rank packs and has wider range
    • maxed repair tool - mostly repairing Maxes because near infantry fights. Vehicles repaired if they are looking for repair. But I don't chase Maxes or vehicles to try to repair them
    • Mines are useful in the right places - I use AI mines and there is a knack to placing them where enemies are likely to pause long enough for the things to trigger, but tanks mines will give big xp for vehicle kills and they will spoil a Maxes day no problem.
    Medic
    • Maxed shield repair tool - just dropping it where there are a group of shooters (again, staying near the infantry fight)
    • Maxed healing tool
    • rezz 'nade for the multiple deaders lying out in the exposed position that would be suicidal to approach
    I run maxed nanoweave on all my classes for preference and I have learned to burst fire as well as to hipfire in CQC (I run laser sights on high RoF primary weapons). I try to remember to ADAD when duelling but I don't always remember :eek: - hence reliance on high RoF weapons. People will say go for headshots but sometimes (e.g. at medium ranges) I think auto weapons will cause lots of misses due to cone of fire, so I go for body shots unless I am real close.
    Hope this helps
    • Up x 1
  9. PlanetBound

Don't forget your mines. Not everyone has Sweeper implant at all times. Drop a few mines in front of enemy vehicle spawn. About two vehicle lengths should be good.
  10. Liewec123

another slight cert gainer,
    purchase rank 1 deployment shield for your sunderer, whenever you aren't planning on using vehicles/resources for awhile deploy your sundy in a useful location, the passive XP will trickle in slowly but surely!

also if you play engi a lot, get sticky nades! they are a fantastic cert gainer,
    sticking one guy in crowded fights usually leads to a rather large multi kill as they run back to their allies behind cover XD
    • Up x 1
  11. Demigan

From what I can see it's mostly how you approach fights.

In both the vehicles and as a sniper, you don't really approach people. You mostly sit at a distance and lob shells and bullets at them. You don't take much time to aim or make sure your shots will hit. Your ideal range to engage those people would be much closer to your enemy, even as a sniper. Now I understand that it's because of the spawnoptions you had as a sniper and the way the battle unfolds overall over there, but I think you still can improve on this.
    So my first suggestion: Try taking a bit longer with your aim to make sure you actually hit when using low-magazine or single-shot weapons, and try to engage them from the ideal range of each weapon so you can finish the kill more easily. Also try to use more trigger discipline, especially with a weapon like the Viper. Trigger discipline or firing in bursts can allow you to score more hits. You don't win anything by firing more shots quickly but missing more as well. Also when sniping, only stop moving as you are about to fire, it's a miracle you weren't shot in the face. You keep stopping in the exact same spot every time again before taking a shot, that makes you an easier target for enemies.
    Your situational awareness (SA) can use some improvements as well. While you are engaged by an AV turret that was clearly on top of a hill surrounded with 4 or 5 other enemies all ready to get a shell in their face, you first drive around a little and then focus on a single infantry down the hill. Then you get damaged more by the AV turret, which miraculously doesn't finish you for some reason, and you don't seek cover or time to repair your tank. You mostly drive around in a small circle right in view of all the AV the enemy can throw at you. Then when an enemy Lightning engages you and you are nearly dead, you just stop and try to hit him, despite still being heavily damaged. You don't try evasive maneuvers of any kind.
    So my second suggestion: Try to be aware of your surroundings more. When something is a big threat try to deal with it first by either engaging or avoiding it. Movement is key, especially at range. Movement makes it harder for enemies to engage you, and allows you to seek cover from terrain and surroundings, which you should start using as well. Look at the friendly tanks in the video for example: Almost every single one of them moves to the hills on either the left or right side of the bridge. This way they limit the amount of enemies that can engage them, and also makes it easier to pick a target and fire at them without having to worry about getting shot by the other 50 dudes still running around nearby. Additionally, any enemy tank that pops around the corner will suddenly be looking at 4 tank barrels, rather than be able to engage them one-by-one.
    • Up x 1
  12. Cymric

As a new player your best bet might be to join a good outfit. You will learn the game much faster if there are competent players showing you the ropes. You can go to your server's reddit and ask around for advise on a good outfit to join.

From what I can see from your video, your platoon is not very well coordinated. An armor push should be supported by repair sunderers and the platoon leader should have gathered everyone to push together instead of getting picked off one by one. When playing in a platoon like this, its better to hang back near cover, trade shots with the enemy and repair as needed. You should also be aware that a new player's vehicle is at a significant disadvantage against a veteran's vehicle. Farming infantry is fine, but in a vehicle to vehicle fight you will lose unless you are more skillful. Your aim is also off, but the only thing to do here is practice and more practice.
  13. Insignus

14. Colodie

From what I see you are overestimating your effective range and not really aiming at all. When you were driving a tank you weren't an engineer first of all. Secondly you were outranged by the infantry on the hill and you decided to mull around which led to you getting killed both times. I could not make it what was happening far away but if that hill towards the edge of the bride was not occupied I would have used it and gotten in closer to the enemy with the viper while staying out of the line of fire. Also when you were sniping t looked like you were just taking potshots which is never a good thing to do. In essence take time to aim your shots and be sure that they are going to hit before you fire. With the weapons you were using
    (Tank Cannons BASR's) it is important that you make every shot count. Those weapons are punishing when you miss to its ok to sacrifice volume of fire for greater accuracy. Especially with the viper trigger discipline is important since us has nasty recoil and a relatively small clip. Space your shots and make sure they all hit.

Also I assume that you aren't a pro sniper. You should first get into a flanking position. When you do this it allows for easier shots on enemies who aren't standing still. Also since you probably haven't mastered leading targets you should focus on ones standing still.

Third is you were not positioning your self well. 3 times you approached that open field to the right which was swept by enemy AV and vehicles which made short work of you 3 times. Learning to recognize the makings of a bad situation early can take some experience but in general wide open spaces like that are to be avoided especially when the enemy has long range AV and Vehicles all able to see you and you have 0 cover.

When you are in the vanguard you let the harassers hit your rear. Tanks take double damage from the rear so you should have turned to try and avoid them landing shots on your rear armour. Also never assume that your aloud are watching your back. When the main gun is reloading sometimes you should look around. It might just save your life.