Why it's time for Planetside 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Airazor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Airazor

We are on the same page. Personally I vouch for a more novel look with stylized graphics because it will age well with time. Unlike the more "realistic" style that can defiantly tell you the age and year of development. Plus you can be more creative with stylized.

For example: Team Fortress 2 was released in October 9th 2007. The graphics are stylized mixed with a cartoon shader. In my opinion it still holds up.

[IMG]

Now compare that with with another game that released in 2007 with realistic graphics The Witcher

[IMG]

As you can tell, the stylized style of Team Fortress 3 still to this day looks good and aged well, however The Witcher 1....well you can tell it's a 2007 game.

Conclusion: Planetside 2 has a 7+ year plan...well at 4 years in, it still looks good, but you can tell it's aging. SOOOO if Planetside 3 is made, it should defiantly be stylized/cartoonish to give it a long life, especially with a 7+ year plan in motion.
  2. Airazor

Am I right?
  3. iPervy

No, in all honesty a cartoony/stylized Planetside would be moronic, and a clear example of terrible art direction. Why? Because Planetside isn't Team Fortress 2, and should stay true to its futuristic/realistic roots. You make a cartoony PS3 and you might as well be slapping every long time supporter of the game here with a fish and calling it dead before even needs time to cook.

A game with a artstyle like that has to be a completely new IP or started out in that style in the first place.

That said to get more on topic I would love nothing more than a new Planetside game. I'd gladly pay full price for the game (60$) personally, but like many have said a big price point or any at all could potentially kill the game as well since the player numbers are essentially the most important content in MMOFPS of this style. Also agree that PS2 is a mmo after all so its still has a good few years in it before it warrants a sequel. 4 years really is nothing in terms of a mmo's lifespan, but I do hope they are able to pump out more content.
    • Up x 3
  4. DarekSkychaser

Yeah, I'm with you on this. The futuristic/realistic look suits it, and frankly, I think we've reached a point in gaming (possibly during the time around Halo: Reach) where in-game character models and faces reached a suitable level of realism that even now continues to look good.

Basically, there's not much of a need to change the look, because it already works well. Having said that, it might be nice to see a couple more options for character faces, even though one rarely notices them in the heat of combat. :p
  5. Airazor

Any news if Planetside 3 is in development?
  6. FateJH

No, it is not.
    I don't even need to source that to some official bulletin. To assume that it is just because you want it is unrealistic.
  7. Mantridd

cuz daybreak broke the entire game and need to be replaced?
  8. AllRoundGoodGuy

9. lukenukeum

I'll get ps3 but if its made by daybreak i wont touch it.
  10. lukenukeum

I hope an intelligent coder and design team somewhat copy the ps fpsmmo idea, improve upon it and release a clone of sorts, but without all the garbage sony/dbg put in.