Why it's time for Planetside 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Airazor, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Airazor

[IMG]

WHY?

A) Now that Daybreak has the game under their wing, they can do new things that SONY was not ready or willing to do. Daybreak can put a new spin on the massive battle franchise that could revitalize it and gain more playerbase. Be inventive, creative and possibly push the lore forward.

B) The game is getting stale. Vet's like myself still love the game and its mechanics but after 3 years...it's getting...old. There is a stigma of slow updates for new vehicles, maps, weapons, bad optimization, laggy and lack of game modes which has left players with a bad taste in their mouth for Planetside 2. Not to mention the alienation of long time Planetside 1 fans feeling weirded out by the changes in PS2. Also SONY jumping ship made people slowly lose faith in the Planetside 2.

Planetside 3, however, could be a new chance to break the mold and turn this franchise into a powerhouse like other AAA games.

A fresh new Planetside 3 game means fresh new experiences and fresh new money to bring to the table to help make the game (and studio) even bigger and better. Plus it moves the industry forward by challenging the status quo. Can you think of any other FPS that can do what this game does on such an epic scale of hundreds of players? Me either. So capitalize on it Daybreak.

C) PLAYER STUDIO must be heavily implemented into Planetside 3 for new maps, vehicles, classes, weapons, cosmetics ect. Let the fans and artists help make this game grow and you will see better results. You don't have to approve everything...just the submissions that rock socks. Plus it will help free up studio time and money to work on more important things. Also the studio get's more money and so do the artists. I scratch your back, you scratch mine. Fairly and evenly.

D) Charge $20-30 dollars (not a penny higher) for Planetside 3 at initial launch. This way the studio can make a wicked amount of cashola to fund future development while not breaking the bank of the playerbase.

The current Cert gain is good and the micro-transaction system currently implemented is good. Do not abuse the micro-transaction system. Perhaps lower the real money cost for weapons from 500-700 station cash to $2.00. Let's be real, charging 5 bucks for a DIGITAL GUN is price gouging and shifty practice and slightly unethical. Plus you would gain more sales from weapons, which is gooooood news $$$

Conclusion

Planetside 3 can and should be made because the franchise has massive potential to be a money maker while on top of that a REALLY FUN and ground breaking form of entertainment like no other.

It's up to Daybreak to decide if they want to keep patching up old (but fun) Planetside 2, or put time and resources into the new Planetside 3. It is a tough choice, perhaps the timing is not good to build it, however eventually it will have to be done.

OR SOMEONE ELSE WILL...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Side note / Wishlist: If you can make the solar system that Auraxis is in via new "procedural" planet technology. Create the planet Auraxis in space that players can seamlessly ascend and descend into (Think No Man's Sky, Star Citizen, Elite Dangerous, Rodina, Infinity:Battlescape) with MASSIVE player constructed bases alongside normal bases on the planets surface. With 2000 or more players per server/sol system.... you could have ground breaking FPSMMO like no other.

Space, Air, Ground and Navy fights on a whole planet of Auraxis...now that would be worth paying for don't you think?
    • Up x 5
  2. WeRelic

Considering they just put a bunch of resources towards the construction system; I don't see it happening.

I would gladly pay 20$ for a PS3, but remember, a big part of the "content" we have is in the form of players. Putting up a price wall will lower the amount of players which is kind of counterproductive for a game that prides itself on massive battles.
  3. Airazor

I agree it would put up a price wall....unless Planetside 3 wowed the pants off the audience with amazing gameplay mechanics and features.

This game is VERY social with outfits and what not, so if your gaming buddies, steam group or other game guildies are slowly getting into it, it will attract others to buy the game.

You see this in lot's of games these days. It is one of the main reasons they took multiplayer or splitscreen off of games like Call of Duty or Halo is so that they can generate more money by getting more sales from people that want to play with their friends.

Planetside 3 will be friend heavy so a cheap price for admission for hundreds of hours is worth the price and player made stories in my books.
  4. Airazor

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  5. Imperialguardsman

It would take large sums of money to create a new game such as a Planetside 3. Sums of money that Past SOE/Daybreak can't requisition on the spot anymore. I would predict it would be at least 7 more years before a possible sequel would come out if one is optimistic.
    • Up x 3
  6. TheFlamingLemon

The reason I want that is so that we can have huge reforms to aircraft, make classes balanced, and fix all the other balance issues that won't otherwise get fixed due to salty vets who want to keep abusing the ****tier parts of the games designed in order to farm more effectively.
    • Up x 1
  7. Airazor

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  8. badname123

NO thanks. a different team needs to handle this one.
    • Up x 4
  9. Pandoran15

I'm inclined to agree with you, but I highly doubt any of the big gaming devs would try to pick up an old franchise like PS2. And even if they did, a lot of those big devs are a bunch of greedy bastards. If daybreak did it, they already know what the playerbase likes and dislikes. If only they would interact with their own gaming community, PS3 might have a chance......
    • Up x 1
  10. SW0V

For the longest time now I've wanted to make my own MMOFPS using PS2 as a model. I think the 3-way combat is necessary for balancing but I find the human-human-human selection boring.

If you wanted to push the lore forward here are some ideas that I've had:

The VS dabbled in self-replicating artificial intelligence hoping it would give them an edge in the fighting. Unfortunately, the AI gained sentience and is now one of two new factions. Think the drones from EVE online, Skynet from Terminator, the Nekrons from Warhammer 40k or even Transformers. They've adapted, expanded and refined the VS's plasma and anti-grav technologies.

Meanwhile, the NC dabbled in genetic modification of their soldiers to try to give themselves an edge in the war. The modifications to strength, intelligence, durability, energy efficiency saw their soldiers become less and less human to the point where they are now reminiscent of Zerg from StarCraft or the Tyranids from Warhammer 40k. They've become primal and instinctual and rely on speed, strength and biological weapons such as venoms, bile, gas and other excretions (Weapons with properties like the needler from Halo for example).

Due to the introduction of these two new factions on Auraxis the remaining humans have banded together against a common enemy in a desperate bid to survive. The increased threat level of these new factions has sparked new investment into the human war machine. Learning from the mistakes of the past the new technology of this human empire seeks to augment the human body rather than replace or modify it. This includes the development of a power exo-suit for all of its soldiers. Think Space marines from Warhammer 40k, Terrans from StarCraft or the mech suites from Matrix:Revolution or Avatar.

These factions will fight, not over facilities, but over resources to power their technologies.

I have an entire word document with far more details... it's just a pet project of mine... a fantasy I can escape to thinking "wouldn't it be so cool if planetside (or a game like it) included .... x..... y..... z. "
    • Up x 1
  11. Xealos

Yeah, I've also adored the idea of a robot faction that's gone rogue, in fact the below DLC for Unreal Tournament 3 showcases my vision perfectly. The only question is whether or not this would badly effect player influx throughout the factions. As practically everyone would much rather play as a machine or a super mutant than a human.

As of now we'll just have to stick with user-developed cosmetics to keep our desire for originality in check.

[IMG]

As for the idea of a PS3, I have to agree with the majority of the people here. It's just too soon with too little budget to work with. I must stress that forced sequels aren't ever a good thing, especially when they try to fulfill the level of changes that you're asking for.
    • Up x 1
  12. SW0V

That's not true at all. I could be wrong... but isn't terran the most played race in SC2? And space marines are over-represented in Warhammer 40k (for other reasons).
  13. DarekSkychaser

I'm with you on this. It's just my opinion, admittedly, but let's look at how well Overwatch, a brand new IP, is doing for Blizzard. A slick marketing campaign, solid backstory, and insanely fun gameplay have gotten it around 9 million (and rising) players. Assuming the normal $60 entrance fee, that shakes out to somewhere around $540,000,000 for Blizzard. While I can't guess what profit would be, I imagine that the game itself wasn't drastically expensive to produce, and it's hard to believe that they would spend more than most films marketing the game, so the profit margin was probably pretty nice.

Maybe the prospective PS3 could do something like this and maybe it couldn't. Don't get me wrong though, Planetside 2 is great, but it has been going for 4 years now, and many FPS games either run out of steam or get a sequel within 2-3 years (less if you're CoD), so who knows, maybe "PS3" would be something to look at.

If they did do something though, certainly keep the big battles, but maybe throw in more lore or some RPG elements. The idea that humans have gotten trapped on a distant planet, along with the potential drama between business, government and ideology, could make for some quality storytelling.

Just a few random, sleepiness-addled thoughts.
  14. SW0V

That's not an accurate comparison as most FPS games don't see additional features on the same scale that have been added to PS2 over the years. Continents have been revamped, new continents have been added, weapons have been adjusted, new weapons have been added, vehicles have been adjusted, new vehicles have been added, the resource system was revamped, a directive system was introduced, an implant system was introduced, a construction system was introduced, the lattice system was introduced, continent locking was introduced... I'm sure I'm missing other features as well.

So, to say that it's getting 'stale' because it's still named 'planetside 2' is like saying WoW or EvE Online got stale 8 years ago because they've only ever gotten 'expansions' and not WoW:2 or EO:2. That's just not how persistent MMO's work.
    • Up x 1
  15. Darkence Evil Taco

for ps4 players I think they need to wait for ps5 not ps4.5
    only to keep up with pc side.
    but pc usally gets stuff earlier so don't know about that side.

story should also progress.
    tr should stay human have backstory of them wanting to stay human.
    nc should turn Twords cyborgs adding corporate greed to win war at all cost but still holding on to humanity.
    vs should turn Twords full blown hybrids of alien and human dna. I'm not sure what the aliens looked like probaly lizards.. if skeletons on map are distant evolutionary past of araxis.
  16. Pikachu

Ps2 is MMO. It's supposed to last for 7+ years.
    • Up x 2
  17. DarekSkychaser

Ouch, I think I really stepped in it on this thread. :p

You're right, though, as an MMO, it's not entirely comparable to other, more mainstream FPS games. I guess my question mostly is how sustainable PS2 is in the long-term. I know for a few months there, Emerald server was running pretty low population totals, but it does seem like population has jumped with the construction system. Also, the new scoring methods in the game are far better than the old "capture 50% of the territory and you win" scenarios we were used to.

On the other hand, I will grant that some slightly updated textures would be kind of nice, as the current ones tend to look a bit blurry.

In any case, PS2 is still a great game, but it never hurts to think about the future.
  18. Kumaro

And not to mention that while changes have been good and given the game a facelift now. The question falls on, how long before people grow tired of these changes and how much can the team keep up with giving the game the "variety" it so sorely needs to last for at least 3 more years. This does remind me of the last time they gave the game a facelift and they had a good 3 month run before it lost it's shine and people got bitter again. Though to be honest we did have higby show of all those fancy ships and what not to lure us in.... Hopefully we will get something else with the next big update that really sparks the construction system or adds in something more beyond capturing continents/generating points to capturing continents. Some more interesting key targets on the maps would be nice.
  19. OldMaster80

Who?
    No one dared to copy Planetside 1, no one will try with Planetside 2. Right now there's also a big problem with technical limits. Planetside 3 wouldn't probably have better graphic effects (Physx? LOL), it wouldn't have more players or bigger maps. Because it would never run on consoles and it would probably be unaffordable by most of PC hardware. It's 4 years old, but what we have here is the state of the art of massive shooters.
    It would just be the same game with different items. And I doubt DBG has the resources to re-make the game recycling assets like DICE spitting out a copy of Battlefield every 1-2 years.

Imho it's better trying to improve what we have.
    • Up x 2
  20. Kumaro

You never know with the gaming market. Star Citizen is proof of that.
    However yes to a degree you are also right. But one must also realize that not all of the limitations in this game are because of weak hardware there are also software limits because of how old the engine is and it's limitations in pure code.
    And i do hope that in the future 3+ years from now that we might see a PS3 (or some big *** relaunch/update on current one) because i would love to see this game realized with some fine tuning modern software DirX12, Full 64Bit better varied hardware support as well. So that we can enjoy the current high graphics at a stable 60 FPS. The game does not need a full visual makeover it just needs to be able to run the current stuff on more hardware.
    While there are limits because of scale the problem is that those same problems stay even if you are on a half empty continent and yet hardware is struggling and we are talking even higher end hardware here.

And i understand people saying this because this game has in some ways not aged well at all and in other ways it ages decently. And we really want Planetside to survive. It's a great concept with poor execution and sooner or later someone else will step into this market and compete because Multiplayer is growing and Combined arms is getting more and more popular.