Wrel talks about Hossin being unpopular

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pikachu, Dec 30, 2016.

1. OgreMarkX

Maybe build hives there. That should be fun. Make mining Cortium 2X as fast there. Because mining is the way to win. Hossin could open up one evening and within 5 minutes the team with the most ants farming cortium wins.

/sarcasm
  2. CNR4806

Hossin on a whole is made up of terrible design decisions:
    • Poor visibility (the one thing that they're fixing)
    • Poor navigation
    • Extremely linear base-to-base movement (thanks to the above)
    • Poor combined arms gameplay
    • Poor base design
    • Poor G2A/A2G balance thanks to Indestructo Trees (tm)
    There's only one "fix" for Hossin, which is called "put it out of its misery and let us never speak of it again".
  3. DeadlyOmen

I watched a bit more of the video.

Saying that battles are won by numbers is myopic, pessimistic, and a vieled justification for producing contrived gameplay.

Battles are not won by numbers. They are won by one team imposing their will on the other team.

When game personalities don't think much of the player base, the game is destined to be stagnant.
  4. DeadlyOmen

Reading the thread more, we see something that leads developers into thinking they *need* to create contrived gameplay:

A poster wrote, about the nature of the map:

• Poor visibility (the one thing that they're fixing)
    • Poor navigation
    • Extremely linear base-to-base movement (thanks to the above)
    • Poor combined arms gameplay
    • Poor base design
    • Poor G2A/A2G balance thanks to Indestructo Trees (tm)
    These things are mis-represented as bad. They are actually challenges to players, not failure of design.

Since the very first day, the forums have led developers into a self-perpetuating black hole of design and counter-design, because those screaming the most think of unintended consequences the least.

Only when the devs stand firm on the challenge they have created for players will the game realize its potential.

The "solution" to Hossin: force its play by locking all other continents. The forums will scream,; the players will thank you.
    • Up x 1
  5. Beerbeerbeer

1. Get rid of ALL those stupid little egg plants that are made out of concrete.
    2. Turn the lights on BRIGHT. I only go there if I'm playing VS as I can't stand fighting the VS there because they are impossible to see

3. See 1. Those little concrete egg plants need to go. ALL OF THEM.
  6. DeadlyOmen

Another great example:

The egg plants.

Make them go away! Why? What happens then?

Get a clue- the problem isn't the maps, it's the forum.
  7. pnkdth

More paths(ground vehicles and infantry). Part of my main gripe with Hossin is the lack of options and some bases create some seriously annoying choke-points.

Two bases I really like though is Gourney Dam(pretty much the Crown of Hossin) and Hunter's Blind(one up in the trees). Basically, I like bases which either open up to a lot of options or have a certain tactical limitation in how you approach it(not simply choke-points...).
  8. DeadlyOmen

Another opportunity to point something out.

Choke points are not created by maps. They are created by players. Sure, you can say there are natural "funnels", but if no one is contesting the passage of that funnel, then it is not a choke point.

Players > Forums
    • Up x 1
  9. Diilicious

To fix hossin I would:
    • Increase the cost of air by 50% and disable heat vision in aircraft continent wide
    • Make mines deconstruct when placed underwater
    • Remove the hitbox from ALL vines, glowy egg plants, red glowy plants, they should conceal players without impeding them.
    • Remove or flatten the plateaus to ground level, its suppoed to be a swamp not a canyon chasing mountain clustertruck.
    • Make the trees have glowing fruit or have several hanging strings of leaves that are an alien colour to break the green up.
    I never understood people saying hossin bases are bad, must be drunk, I hate playing infantry but the only time ive enjoyed it has been on hossin because the bases are amazing.
  10. Pikachu

Wrel mentioned that they need the wacky terrain to occlude things far away to save performance.
  11. Crayv

Then they should at least make them thinner so they occupy less area instead of eating up entire hexes.
  12. BITSHUP

Quite funny. Hossin is actually a great setup... clearly not a desert.

Welcome to the jungle.

You definitely never played PS1.
  13. FateJH

I'd definitely prefer PS1 Hossin to PS2 Hossin.
    • Up x 1
  14. VhynSeven

I started to play Planetside 2 just after the release of Hossin, and to be honest, I was really hyped by this continent. This jungle/swamp full of extra-terestrial plants feels very unique, contrary to Indar, Amerish, and Esamir (oh a desert, oh a toundra, etc...).
    Now, I'm really annoyed by all those plants that keep blocking my bullets when i shoot at something past point-blank range. And I feel this is the true reason why people don't play on Hossin.

Sure, G2A gets blocked by trees, but those same trees are also obstacles for air vehicules. Most of the time, when I see a ESF of Lib (and I don't see a lot of them), he usually ends in a tree after 2 rockets drop.
    For tanks, well, do you really want a replica of those columns of armor shooting at each other day long like we already have everywhere in other continents ? I don't. Seriously, Hossin was made for infantry, so limitations on tanks should be a given.

As I stated tho, designers went a bit overboard and made too much plants. Everywhere. Same goes for rocks. As someone who Support classes and long-range weapons, shooting at someone past 30m is a real pain. I can't keep the enemy in my crosshair, there is always something blocking my line of sight.
    Hossin doesn't need a revamp, it just needs a bit of clean-up.
  15. bwjinxing

All the hossin talk pre release was like, Hossin will be this "Anti ESF" map. they were going to have such a difficult time, blah blah.

come release, esf just have to fly lower.

Thus, i feel its just another map. Considering i do ground game, I can shoot them down on Esmair or Indar. There would have to be some OP perk that would convince me to play on Hossin otherwise. Else i just log out and go play another game honestly if forced.
  16. No0T

VVE need 3 continents lock all the time so people vvould not ghost and vve could have big hossin battles if people doesn't like it as much they vvould not play vvhen there is no people in the others and THEY DO!!!
  17. travbrad

Lots of people are saying this and it sort of makes sense in theory but I wonder how much time they have actually spent playing Hossin to come to this conclusion or if it's indeed just a theory? I see less air (as a primarily infantry player) on Hossin than other continents and I get air spammed WAY more on Indar than any other continent. Basically the opposite of what this theory suggests.

I think the more realistic problem is that people are confused by doing anything other than driving in a straight line towards a waypoint, and refuse to really explore all the little nooks and crannies Hossin has for Sundy placement, attack angles, different tactical approaches to defending (defenders can deploy sundies too ;)), etc

DeadlyOmen is right. The sad reality is that most players don't want a challenge or to have to think about anything. They just want to follow a waypoint like a moth to a flame then shoot at a big "shoot the mans" indicator, and get patted on the back with constant XP pop-ups on their screen.
  18. Ziggurat8

An outfit member of mine had a kill streak of 200+ gunning a zephyr lib. Whenever we decide to go to Hossin it's just to farm kills as air. It's just stupid how easy it is for air on Hossin. Can go for hours without dieing. But it's just like the rest of the continent though no one plays on Hossin so why bother.
  19. Shocky

my 2cents, construction site suck, the offal pit is impossible to take. many of the satellite of facility are terrible to take and hold with out tank cover. advances on bases are mostly just a sunndy and thats it as for the astetics of it i dont really care. thats all i have to say on the matter. im going back to esamir oh wait its locked damn it. oh and if there was more of an end game like more continents with their own continental lattice maybe people would care.
  20. Wargrim

My view on Hossin is this:

It suffers the worst of all continents from extreme compartmentalization. In other words, it has no natural flow no matter where the fights are, it is basefight, chokepoint, basefight, chokepoint, ... without end. And the basefights themselves are mostly the usual doorway spam that really is one of the weaker points of Planetside. Add to that that Libs / Battlegals can dominate any fight from above, much more so than in other continents. In short, the mix of infantry - air - ground vehicles gameplay that mostly works on other continents breaks down on Hossin in a non - fun way. Throw away all the clone bases, massively broaden and elongate the pathways / areas between bases and maybe we will actually see some ground vehicle + infantry gameplay in the jungle, not just chokepoint camping and identical base fights.