Wrel talks about Hossin being unpopular

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pikachu, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Pikachu

Tell your opinions. Btw stop saying that Hossin has too much fog, after all changes it has way less than northern Indar which you all love. Also nights there are no darker than on other places.

Also if anyone cares, here's some comparisons for the 2 revamps of Hossin's skyfile.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. DorinFoehammer

The reason I can't stand Hossin is due to the terrible design of the plant life being indestructible, vehicles getting stuck on them, can't drive over them, etc. Whomever thought it was a good idea to leave the environment in that kind of condition was either lazy or completely blind to how it affects game play.
    • Up x 5
  3. Demigan

Why not Hossin:
    Aircraft have 100% chance to escape any G2A attack, even large-scale G2A. They also have an even easier time approaching anyone undetected and striking before anyone can react.
    Fights are mostly railroaded, with little to no way to be creative and go off the strict roads. Additionally vehicle combat is discouraged with tiny plants and rocks blocking vehicles but not providing any cover, additionally water that makes mines invisible coupled with the not-always-working spot mechanics makes it kinda bad driving tanks there.
    • Up x 4
  4. Eternaloptimist

I'm not sure Wrel mentioned that moving around on foot is also a major ball ache unless you are LA. Or maybe that isn't something people complain about. Perhaps it's just me.

He makes a number of other good points although I'm not sure the trees do separate ground and air battles all that well. Aircraft don't seem to have much trouble strafing ground units.
  5. zu2

6. 1Tap2Tap

I love to play on Hossin.

In terms of "enjoyable to play" my ranking would be:

1. Hossin (best bases, best infantry combat)
    2. Amerish (just nice and balanced overall)
    3. Indar (meh, Indar-T over and over)
    4. Esamir (walls, only one Tech Plant, Esamir-Y over and over)

But for some reason people prefer to play around the same bases on Indar ("Indar-T") and Esamir ("Esamir -Y") every single day, so Hossin is most of the time empty.

Planetside 2 is the most fun for me when Indar and Esamir are locked at the same time...
    • Up x 1
  7. Alkasirn

I dislike Hossin because it represents every base design I dislike throughout all the other continents in one 'convenient' spot.

-It takes the already iffy and always controversial air to ground balance and swings it in favor of one side (specifically the air).
    -Other continents were designed to be attacked from dozens of different directions. Even "wallamir" bases often has half a dozen gaps in the walls for players to approach. But Hossin is very "linear." When defending, you don't know the vague direction the enemy will be approaching from - you know the exact street and exact door (or two) players are forced to use.
    -Funky physics. Everyone brings up the vehicles having trouble navigating but infantry suffers the same problem. It's real easy to get stuck inside rocks and trees on any continent, but Hossin is fliled with really large trees (and roots!) and rocks to get stuck on, and often they're the only cover available so you have to risk it.
    -Which leads to LAs having an easy time with everything because they can circumvent these problems. But like my first point, that really throws off balance when one class is way more viable than all the others.
    • Up x 1
  8. Campagne

I hate Hossin because if has some of the worst bases, in my opinion.

Bases where the paths from one point to another are very poorly structured, requiring players to run long distances to get a short length away, as the crow flies. There are numerous bases that give strong advantages to attackers and/or penalties to defenders.

People say Hossin is an "infantry only" continent, but I find this to be entirely untrue. The spaces between bases are narrow and are difficult to pass through without a jetpack, so one often hits a wall of armour just spamming at the trees. Air lurks in every corner of the map, hiding in plain sight with all the tree cover.

If I want an infantry-only fight, both Indar & Esamir have better bases that are much more enjoyable.
  9. maxwell smart

hmm i dont hate hossin but in my case im abit colorblind....
    all infantry units who have green camo on are cloaked units for me ^^
    i had to play it without color....
    i would actually love the map in white like esamir lol
  10. Ziggurat8

It is kind of funny. Hossin was supposed to be the map air had the most trouble with and esamir was supposed to be an air haven. Instead it's exactly the opposite.

Open skies give air no where to hide from G2A, Hossin trees make G2A completely useless. Air on Hossin can only be countered by air and basically just allows A2G free reign. The bottle necks of impassable terrain just funnel ground units into easy farm land for A2G.

Most of the bases on Hossin seem designed for huge 96+ fights or else are completely indefensible. In smaller bases the defenders only have 1 or 2 lanes of egress from the spawn while attackers have multiple points of entry with garages and elevators and jump pads. Once the base is over run there's virtually no way to mount a counter assault.

Ultimately none of Hossin's short comings truly account for its lack of conflict. There are lots of fun battles to be had but for whatever reason it's always empty. It's almost like the fights on Hossin are too far between and hard to find so players leave to go to where they know fights can be found. Indar first, then Esamir or Amerish and whatever is left "maybe" finds its way to Hossin.
  11. Newlife1025

Vehicle convoys getting lost in the eternal shrubs, water mines, eternal shrubs imprisoning infantry, that tree that always disrupts my rocket launcher, vanu camouflage at night with eternal shrubbery, ghosts capping bases, and its just hard to maneuver. I can't risk driving my tank over the road without losing it. 10/10 not good experiences, when given esamir or hossin, we never go hossin.
  12. Daigons

Hossin is the Zepher gun paradise.
  13. Shadowomega

I have discussed this with other members of Azure Twilight before and these are the three issues they had.

Their Machine can't handle it with big fights, small ones are ok but painful.

The Fog (I really don't get this one I use to run this game on custom settings on a 250 gts and didn't see much issue. Now running on a 960 GTX on Ultra and it looks great).

Infantry coming from unexpected angles.

Me personally if I see an actual fight on hossin 24-48 people and a couple different lanes; "f yea hossin fight!" The bases have great infantry layouts. Anyone that says there are few angles of attack are those not thinking outside the box, or working as a group. Having a Valk or Galaxy on station near by opens up a ton of new assault paths; not to mention putting one's Super Mario talents to excellent use.
  14. ZDarkShadowsZ

Pretty much this.

While a lack of players is 'sometimes' the issue for me, even when there's good population with 48+ vs 48+ pop fights going on I just end up not bothering because the continent is too frustrating to navigate. I like the swampy theme and I like the colour scheme. I like it looking dark and dank because it feels a lot more unique to the other 3 continents. I don't however like trying to navigate a vehicle towards the next base and be forced to stick to the road lest I get my vehicle jammed up by a bright glowing oval orange sat parked conveniently where I could have maneuvered through easier had it not been there.

Another issue is that although it feels like it's aimed at infantry-based combat, I get horribly sick of getting air-raided by infantry farmers and struggling to fight back because my lock on gets broken by the huge mass of trees the continent has to offer and even larger aircraft can also fly away with reasonable ease once they begin taking whatever they feel is too much damage for them due to the plateaus plastered around the entire map.

I'm content with less open space, but I need at least some space to fight and Hossin just doesn't have it. The only time I find myself sticking to a fight on Hossin is when there's a fight for a large facility as otherwise everywhere you turn it's either rocks, trees, immortal plant life or masses of plateaus dotted everywhere.

Again, since it's more of an infantry-focused continent I get the prevention in using vehicles a lot more, but it feels like the only use for them on that continent is for getting from A to B. There's no space to have an acceptable vehicle battle unless it's X faction's column stuck fighting Y faction's column and both sides are stick between a valley of Ewoks brandishing C4.

I understand the reason for having plateaus on the continent, but there's too much plant life. If around 1/3 of the trees and shrubbery were to go, maybe widen some roads and/or remove at least a few of the plateaus then I know I'd certainly play there more. As it is right now, there's not enough space to do much of anything.
  15. PlanetBound

For all the negatives people bring up about Hossin, the same applies to the enemy. I tend to overplay Hossin because in off peak times you can fly to base after base ghost capping. BTW I look at ghost capping as just taking back what should belong to my faction anyway (whichever faction I'm playing at the time).
  16. Mojo_man

I really hope this is an indication that we may see some large scale developer reconsideration for Hossin. I really like that continent a lot, as it has some truly unique bases that I find really enjoyable to play on.
  17. breeje

hossin is the most beautiful continent designed
    the reason i don't play there comes from the beginning of hossin when the continent was full of players
    and that's why i know it was terrible to play on

there was no flank options unless you wanted to drive a sunder for 10 minutes
    once a big force secured a canyon the fight came to a stop, you could not move
    the only thing you could do was fighting frontal or try with air to destroy the bottleneck
    only LA was a option and only for those who had there fuel upgraded

the reason why i like PS2 is cause you can go everywhere and hossin in a sandbox when a big player base plays on it
    and playing there with a low pop is not fun
    all those unclimbable mountains, make them hills with trees and small rocks
    hard to drive a vehicle on but not impossible
    and open up the center of the map to alow more vehicle play
    there are parts on hossin where this is possible and fun to play at
    don't know the names cause i rarely play there
  18. DeadlyOmen

13 minute video...no.

Hossin is unpopular because it is difficult to memorize.

The only way to get Hossin played is to lock three continents at a time.
  19. Juno

It's:
    • Too hard to see anything
    • Too cluttered
    • Hard to navigate
    • Makes me feel trap
    • Too many small areas/chokepoints
  20. Durwyn

might be a risky move but i wouldn't personally. i stick to big fights, and hossin generally doesn't have any of those happening..