I get that the gatekeeper was overpowered...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jolanar, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Jolanar

Sorry, I think using the word "innacurate" was the wrong one. For a weapon that was designed to hit targets at medium-long range, with how slow the projectile is now it is almost impossible to hit a moving target at long range. The drop is just far too high given the projectile velocity. If the damage of each projectile was higher, I could see why hitting targets at range should be a challenge, but the current iteration of this weapon is just plain bad.

I also want to point out that I'm not comparing this weapon to any other empire-specific variants, I am just commenting on how terrible it feels to use now. It is borderline unusable for the ranges at which it is intended.
  2. Towie

The biggest issue I had with the old GK on the Prowler was the sustained damage and accuracy at extreme range - and that has certainly been removed from the current version.

Yes, it definitely feels nerfed - but yes, it did need it.

Some have argued (successfully) that a Halberd was always the better option with an experienced gunner anyway so maybe we'll see a bit of a renaissance in its use ? Time will tell.
  3. DeathbyGotcha

I guess if feels like the striker nurf I buy the striker because it rocked then they nurf the hell out of it and it sits in my inventory never to be touched again now the GK is about the same.
  4. LaughingDead

You're...you're joking right?
    Striker is basically an instant shift from lockon to flak heavy, two strikers kill an ESF, sure you don't drop your damage in one payload but you get the peck in there, ESFs HATE peck, flak pecks, walkers peck, even bassys can, experienced ESF pilots laugh at daltons and tanks, but do not **** with a striker valk.
  5. FateJH

Well, they have to fit into the pecking order somehow.
    • Up x 1
  6. DeathbyGotcha

have you ever used a striker it takes 2 clips to drop one ESF and thats if you almost hit it you can buy it in your faction now waste some certs on it and find what trash it is.
  7. Problem Officer

Small amount of skill requirement was introduced into GK and you're already complaining it's "pointless".
    When aiming takes some brainpower it's not a downside, it's to be expected, unless you're hopeless at FPS.
    Don't try to pit something tiny against an easily comprehensible downside like DPS cost per missed shot.
    Crosshair change or adjustment to the patch is all it takes to compensate.
  8. LaughingDead

have you ever used the phoenix, it takes 5 rockets to drop one tank and thats only if you hit it you can buy it in your faction now waste some certs on it and find out what trash it is.

Frankly, all of the launchers are good, striker however is arguably the best simply due to it can do something that no other launcher can; immediately react to air with heavy damage. With how the air meta currently is, everyone is running stealth, you completely crap on that and drop damage the instant they try getting into position, even if you can't lock those 300 meter targets, you often won't need to. The only things that are a drawback to the launcher is maxes, that's it, literally nothing else stops you.

With how you have to remain still to use the phoenix and the lancers incredibly low damage over time (well technically goes for phoenix too) the striker mitigating loss of dps for exposure time is a ******* pain in the *** for ai esfs, aka the only esfs anyone ever cares about.
  9. TrolKabu

oO ?
    Phoenix is able to hit vehicles behind covers.
    Lancers is pinpoint accurate at extreme range.

No other launcher can do that. What was the point then ? The Striker is useful against aircrafts. Yep, that's its role. Arguably, it's the least niche launcher of the three, but they all have their use in their own field.
    • Up x 1
  10. Thaumatos

GK was so OP that people were single-seating Prowlers, riding up on hills, locking down, and favoring the secondary weapon as a primary attack method.

Yeah, it needed this nerf. Sorry fellas.
  11. Slandebande

Something here doesn't make sense. Why would they Anchor the Prowlers if they are 1/2? Also, I'll argue that it was generally only the bad players doing such a thing, you aren't going to be able to do much with a GK at the ranges where the GK outshines the primary weapon of the (Anchored) Prowler. The only reason to do it, is if you are solely interested in farming rookies, and that you are fine with being completely useless to your faction and not having an impact on any significant fights.

Note: I'm not saying the GK didn't need a change (I'm not a fan of the way they changed it, but that's for another discussion)
  12. sovietwarbear NL

LOL that hast noting to do with it its damn ppl who are to stupit to get LIB and take down that prowlers who are in lockdown

if there is no libs in air ppl get Prowlers and park hem on big hill and go in lockdown
  13. Panhawran

Not everyone has LIB.

No more parked on hills Prowlers and Harasers with GK? Oh I'm so sorry. No more free farm? Oh I'm so sorry.
    Now you will have to engage into battle and risk to get killed? I think it's good for that game. It's natural that you will cry after old GK. DEVS have to look for whole game not only fun for TR.

off topic
    Remember OLD OLD OLD Striker? Lockon one? Intelligent rockets avoid obstacles. One magazine could take down ESF. Then I was playing TR. It was my first 1000 cert weapon it was OP they needed to change it. 3 HA with Striker could dominate battlefield.

Remember OLD PPA, OLD Sauron?

Now time to nerf Banshee :p
  14. LaughingDead

Striker reacts instantly over the other two, it takes time for the phoenix to fly towards it's target and the lancer charges between each shot.
  15. DonVito70

If the other empire specific weapons are so weak why didn't they buff those and slightly nerf the Gatekeeper? I haven't used my Gatekeeper in a while since I'm usually driving but before the nerf I agree it was maybe too good. Haven't tried the post nerf Gatekeeper yet though.
    Let's hope Daybreak finds a compromise with this thing.
  16. TrolKabu

I do agree that it reacts faster, but it is obviously needed. If it was slower to set up, it would be a complete failure at its role : AA. On the contrary if Phoenix and Lancers were faster to use, everybody would use them anytime over the standard launchers.
  17. Panhawran

From my perspective less damage weapon so you need more skill. More skill more fun. So I prefer nerfing then buffing.
  18. SarahM

Gk is somewhat ok for softening up structures. Other than that, halberd > GK.
  19. RedBlack

That totally makes sense..... o_O
  20. SarahM

Also, more drop = worse against air.