[Video]Ion-Cannon in action + thoughts

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Razeroth, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Razeroth

Enjoy.

What do you think?
    • Up x 8
  2. Halkesh

I like how ion cannon work in the concept :
    -Used indirectly with a "recon dart". (allow player to control it directly would be a bad idea)
    -Useful to attack constructed base, can be used in the open between 2 bases.
    -EMP skyshield and modules.

I didn't see in the video how much damage it deal to infantry or vehicle but I suppose it will change anyway. I also hope it DON'T give xp from kill to prevent spamming ion cannon arty.
    • Up x 1
  3. Khrin

Informative as always :)

...though whats with the poor connection half the time...
    Laghacks confirmed! <3
    • Up x 1
  4. Liewec123

sad about the rocklet, it felt like it was almost finished and ready to add to the game :S
    • Up x 2
  5. JobiWan

Interesting video. Tried to join you but there was a small matter of a 10gb update and it was all over by the time I got there.

Regarding performance, the latest update makes my game crash a lot.
    • Up x 1
  6. Razeroth

PTS is in Amurica across the big pond.
  7. Pat22

BUT

ROCKLET RIFLE

I NEED

I... I...

D:

;_;
  8. ColonelChingles

It can't seriously damage buildings, vehicles, or infantry.

It can't fire at regular bases.

This isn't artillery at all.
  9. EvilWarLord

Its extremely lack luster, And becuase of the *I Can't deal with looking for whats killing me from an absurd distance so i'll complain until it becomes super useless* type Players.
  10. ColonelChingles

Seriously... three hits to kill an ANT that's already on fire. Or the complete inability to kill infantry. Or target a base that actually matters.

In this case those players who simply cannot comprehend how to deal with a combined arms game have managed to get something nerfed prior to release, which I guess is an all-time low.

It's because of inept players like them that we can't ever have nice things. :(
  11. ButterNutts

I like how PS2 is still active with the devs, I always like seeing something new, big or small with the game.

While I haven't played PS2 for about 2 years on PC, I still got my share of it on PS4 though now I'm back on PC after building a brand new rig.
  12. Eternaloptimist

Generally speaking, I class things that can kill you without you being able to shoot back or even see them sometimes as "not fun", but then I am just in the game for the firefights. This is what I always say when I see the regular posts asking for super mega-death weapons.

I have seen a clear trend on EU servers over the last two years towards AoE explosive spam (kills before skills) and although it is a shame I can live with that when it is at least within reach (retaliation against throwers of 'nades, C4 droppers, Cheese killers with RLs and even some tanks is possible).

But orbital strkes, long range bombardment cannons, super heavy tanks and bombs dropped by super-hard aircraft like Lib...........I hope they never get introduced because I'm just a ground pounder who likes to trade shots with others (although I'm not against laying a few AI mines now and then :)).
    • Up x 1
  13. Cyropaedia

This needs to go Live like yesterday.
  14. JKomm

I think Wrel confirmed it'll be in the next patch, along with some other construction items... if I recall the vehicle pad and Orbital Strike will not make it this patch. We'll see later this month if we're lucky.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ziggurat8

I have to agree with Chingles on this. Other than a fun light show it's next to worthless. The point of a combined arms game is that each part of the game "should" have a counter. Enemy spamming infantry? You pull AOE, enemy spamming vehicles you pull AV and air. Enemy spamming air you pull AA. Enemy spamming AA you pull vehicles and infantry. Etc etc etc.

What exactly is the ion cannon a counter too?

It disgusts me that most of the game is balanced around the individual infantry run and gun play style. PS2 should be THE ultimate war simulator. Instead it's infantryside with tank, air and construction mini games.

Extremely disappointed. Stop spending development time on useless ****.
    • Up x 1
  16. JKomm

It's a counter to the Skywall construct... and player-bases in general.
  17. Ziggurat8

So without this thing you can't break bases huh?

You need a base to use it right?

So the idea is that you have 2 bases bombarding each other with these things while the rest of the players are fighting in between the 2 bases? I dunno. Still sounds useless.
  18. JKomm

Some base locations allow complete coverage of structures with Skywalls, so yeah the Glaive will be extremely welcomed in breaking them down. It's also relatively easy to set up, the Glaive itself and a Silo are the only requirements. Think of it as a siege weapon in this regard... you start building it to destroy a base, that bases defenders either wait it out, or attempt to destroy the weapon.

Complain about it all you want, we're getting the weapon, and very soon I might add.
  19. ColonelChingles

There's nothing wrong in allowing it to destroy bases. No one is claiming that destroying player-made bases isn't a useful role.

The problem with the ion cannon is that destroying player-made bases is all that it is meant to do. The ion cannon cannot effectively:
    1) Destroy a standard base (you know, the ones that actually matter for territory control).
    2) Engage masses of enemy infantry entrenched in a standard base, which is one of the main reasons why we don't prefer to entrench when the enemy has heavy artillery
    3) Engage a vehicle zerg

The ion cannon is bad because it fails to act as the artillery that this game so desperately needs in order to move fights out of stale base meatgrinders and into the open with modern mechanised warfare.
    • Up x 2
  20. ZephyrBurst

Agreed on that. I'd like to see it able to fire into no-deploy zones, at least for awhile to see how viable it is at moving people and getting them to respond in different ways to these changes in gameplay.